Spydercos from Taiwan

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

I just hope that all the new models/work load being pushed to the Taichung plant does not impact fit and finish. So far, my gayle bradley and navaja are amazing quality. Looking forward to the Szabo this summer, I expect it to be up to the standards of those models.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I had no idea that the Taichung Spydercos were so well-built. I am definitely buying a brand new Sage4. Can't wait.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The Taichung made PPT RIL lock sets perfectly when knife is opened but the MWLL on the Military does not fit as flush as in the PPT. Both are superb knives. I just like the PPT more.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
TheApostleP

Post by TheApostleP »

I guess I have to agree with most who have posted... I own 2 Golden, CO, USA Spydies, and 2 Taichung knives. My US-made blades are a Military and Paramilitary 2. The Taiwan knives are a Gayle Bradley and a Vallotton. Here's my 2 cents: The fit and finish on the Taichung knives are not so much better as they are more "dressy." There's more exposed polished metal, i.e. liner edges and standoffs, and these are fitted and finished to a rather amazing degree. The blade grinds are beautiful and symmetrical, and the steel is American. My Golden knives are more tactical, and require finishing to a lower degree, but they are perfect for what they are. My one hit on the Taichung knives is the finishing of the blades themselves. There seems to be no polishing operation after the final blade grind. Whereas my Golden knives, while still showing the striations of the final grind, have had them smoothed by a polishing step; the Taichung blades have very pronounced grind lines remaining, which will grab your finger nail (and anything you cut) as you move down the length of the blade. You'll find this true in the Sage series as well, by the way. But in summary, we have two different, but very skilled makers, on two distant continents. Our biggest mistake in perception is equating Taiwan-produced knives with those made in China. Nothing could be further from reality -- the Spydieguys in Taichung absolutely rock!!!
BAL

Post by BAL »

Great post TheApostleP. Also, you have 4 great knives to compare.
fast.ed

Post by fast.ed »

Taiwan Spydercos:
I have a Chaparral mfg in Taiwan. The fit, finish, edge and materials are first rate. However, with the economy, all the mfg jobs this country has lost, the high unemployment rate, I am supprised that after making millions from American customers, that Sal follows the herd and starts manufacturing out of country.

fast.ed
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

fast.ed wrote:Taiwan Spydercos:
I have a Chaparral mfg in Taiwan. The fit, finish, edge and materials are first rate. However, with the economy, all the mfg jobs this country has lost, the high enemployment rate, I am supprised that after making millions from American customers, that Sal follows the herd and starts manufacturing out of country.

fast.ed
For the first ten years or so that Spyderco produced knives, not a single one was "Made in the USA", every last one of them was made in Japan. Every US Spyderco employee's wages are paid, at least in part, by the sale of Spyderco products manufactured elsewhere and none of their jobs would even exist today if it had not been for the success of the Worker, Mariner, Hunter, Executive, Standard, Police, Harpy, CoPilot, Endura, Delica, Civilian, ProGrip, and Rescue.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

BAL wrote:Pretty depressing article actually
And very true and to the point, reality is never positive these days and it will continue to get worse.
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Thanks Deacon, didn't know that.
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Not to mention the thousands of Spyderco converts who started with cheaper Japanese FRN knives (I got a Dragonfly and Meerkat initially). These people go back to buy Military's and Para2's.

I read in an article recently posted on Spyderco being one of the best companies to work for. They listed them having just over 40 employees. Accurate to the individual or not to take ALL production in-house would require a huge facility upgrade. Managing 300 employees is a different game than 40 just as 40 is a nightmare compared to 5.

Personally as a spectator to my area of the world, companies that grow quickly forget where they came from. If Spyderco can maintain it's current mission statement (and soul) by batch production overseas I'm sure the 40ish folks are glad to be part of a successful company.

Plus big companies don't do many sprints of exotic steels and materials. It's hard to pay the bills switching gears to make 600 knives.