Orange Dodo sprint! Please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brj

Post by brj »

I'm in :)
jabba359

Taste the rainbow...

Post by jabba359 »

I thought that it would be fun to come up with other Dodo colors, so here's a few that I came up with. Please excuse me if any of these have actually seen production.
Attachments
Dodo A2.jpg
Dodo A2.jpg (93.24 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

And here's a few more...
Attachments
Dodo C2.jpg
Dodo C2.jpg (93.91 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I'd be down. I've wanted an orange, locking :spyder: for a while, and I've wanted a dodo, sounds like a win!
STR

Post by STR »

I'm in for two PE yes!

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Killdozer

Post by Killdozer »

Yes SIR!
-Mat
boboakalfb

Post by boboakalfb »

Yes, please.
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

I can't believe the attention this thread has gotten in about 24 hours time, I have never handled a dodo and they are very odd looking. I can see why they bring so much money though, just look at all the interest! I would have to try at least one to see what all the fuss is about if they are re-made!
WhiteWillie

Post by WhiteWillie »

I would gladly exchange one of my favorite bodily organs for a new Dodo.
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

GoMeR wrote:I can't believe the attention this thread has gotten in about 24 hours time, I have never handled a dodo and they are very odd looking. I can see why they bring so much money though, just look at all the interest! I would have to try at least one to see what all the fuss is about if they are re-made!
I thought the same thing before I bought one but have been hooked ever since! there's something about the ergo's of the handle, the hawkbill type blade and the ball-lock that's just altogether awesomeness!
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
markg

Post by markg »

Sure, why not... It is only money. ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

GoMeR wrote:I can't believe the attention this thread has gotten in about 24 hours time, I have never handled a dodo and they are very odd looking. I can see why they bring so much money though, just look at all the interest! I would have to try at least one to see what all the fuss is about if they are re-made!
I hears many time that Dodo is ugly, but I love this knife since I saw it fist time.
I strongly believe that dealers would be able to sell Sprint run within a week, may be even less. Golden Sprints are only 600. I will buy even foliage green :eek: :eek: :eek: , but orange sound much better. :p , as well as "Lil T green", yellow, cranberry, deep blue and many others. Lets keep it simple, change nothing, just color of G10.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
araneae

Post by araneae »

We all knew we wanted another Dodo. Why didn't' we start this thread before? The response is impressive and hopefully hard to ignore.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

All right,
Let's get really wild.

What about SPYDERCO FORUM Knife 2009 Dodo. , Orange G10, S30V.

May be it is time to resurrect Forum knife idea. Forum knife became a legend: everybody heard about it, but most member never saw them, only pictures. :eek:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

MCM

Post by MCM »

+1. But s90V & black............. ;) :spyder:
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
nuubee

don't have one yet...

Post by nuubee »

I'm really impressed with the quality of the graphics posted by some of you.
Another dodo in a bright color would be fantastic.

I'm normally a plain edge guy, but this is one model I'd like to have in SE.

And with all due respect to everyone, I would timidly suggest one change. A 'caged' ball lock would be a little bit easier to engage with sweaty hands, I think, for me.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I don't really like the Dodo to be honest. However I would buy an orange ball lock Dodo for sure. It would make an awesome work knife.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I don't think very many people would actually buy a sprint if it came out. Like most response rates I would presume it would be significantly lower than what is represented in this thread.

Think about it. The original was S30V, made in Golden and had a street price of $80-90$. It didn't sell well enough to last more than a 2-3 years.

If a sprint came out and with XXX steel, made in Golden I would expect the street price to be in line with current offerings; @$120-$140 depending on the steel and handle material/style.

If people won't buy an original Dodo for more than $100-$110 anywhere else but eBay how many can be expected to buy a new one for $20-$40 more?

Of course there are a ton of extraneous factors at play but even if they all could be identified and analyzed I think they would show it is still too early for a revisit to the concept.

I would much rather see an entirely new LBK similar in pattern and concept to the Dodo but more user friendly. When you get right down to it the Dodo was an edge maintenance nightmare, was too wide in the pocket and desperately needed a small but important upgrade to the lock.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

spoonrobot wrote:I don't think very many people would actually buy a sprint if it came out. Like most response rates I would presume it would be significantly lower than what is represented in this thread.

Think about it. The original was S30V, made in Golden and had a street price of $80-90$. It didn't sell well enough to last more than a 2-3 years.

If a sprint came out and with XXX steel, made in Golden I would expect the street price to be in line with current offerings; @$120-$140 depending on the steel and handle material/style.

If people won't buy an original Dodo for more than $100-$110 anywhere else but eBay how many can be expected to buy a new one for $20-$40 more?

Of course there are a ton of extraneous factors at play but even if they all could be identified and analyzed I think they would show it is still too early for a revisit to the concept.

I would much rather see an entirely new LBK similar in pattern and concept to the Dodo but more user friendly. When you get right down to it the Dodo was an edge maintenance nightmare, was too wide in the pocket and desperately needed a small but important upgrade to the lock.
Good point, I might hesitate to buy one at 120+ price range.
unless it is a SE S90V :D

BTW, all those color looks awesome, though red/orange are my top choices
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
bh49

Post by bh49 »

MCM wrote:+1. But s90V & black............. ;) :spyder:
OK, if Spyderco will make Orange S30V, I would buy yours :D
three total, I hope will be under $135 street.