What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sshook

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by sshook »

Opening a pack of cheese so I could make lunch 🤣
:bug-white-red proud owner of 5 Spyderco folders and 3 excellent Spyderco kitchen knives :bug-white-red

entry-level knife nerd, modder, and fidgeter

If it isn't purple, I don't want it.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

RyanY wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:37 pm
I wish they would do a delica 5 with native style construction and simplicity. Are the salts like that? I’ve never opened one up before.

The construction is indeed simpler, being linerless, but they're similarly annoying to take down like the Delica. I do like the idea of a simpler Delica 5, and I assume it would mainly have to incorporate that floating pin we see on the Native. Because you're right, it's extremely easy to open up and do whatever. It simplifies the user experience and I'm sure it speeds up assembly as well. And, if one can dream, cuts down on angry calls to customer service, stating "I TRIED TO TAKE MY KNIFE APART AND IT FLEW EVERYWHERE"
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

RyanY wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:37 pm
Spicy Suplex wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:02 pm
We have similar tastes, you and I! The Dragonfly is another important model for me, probably tied with the Native 5 FRN for most carried. I do love a knife that punches above its weight (which would be all of them really)... My love for the Delica platform has waned a bit…
Right on! I go back and forth on the native and delica, I just have my REX45 native now, cause I sold my S90V one. I picked up a Maxamet native in the seconds sale though! (A 6 hour investment but I’ll take it haha) I’m really digging my super blue delica and the k390 wharnie delica.

Ergonomically the delica is an extension of my hand and I love the more subtle belly with a lower tip.

However, from a mechanic’s perspective I can’t get over how well executed the native is. The tolerances make it the best backlock out there and it’s dead simple to open, clean and reassemble. That alone makes me choose the native if I think things will be messy. I can disassemble, clean, and reassemble my native in under 5 minutes. The same task with the delica will take me 15-20 minutes. I wish they would do a delica 5 with native style construction and simplicity. Are the salts like that? I’ve never opened one up before.
I can get behind most of this.
While I don’t even own a real Delica yet, I have 3 Salt 2’s, and they’re just the right size for my rather slender hand. Even if the handle shape is maybe not the most hand fitting, it some how works much better than one would think. Being the right size for my hand probably helps a lot.

My DF2 wharnie in k390 kicked off my interest in both wharnies as well as k390. The DF2 size works well for me in a wharnie, as you similarly stated in an earlier post - I too like the control of a short blade. However my new found liking for wharnies quickly threw me into a search for a medium sized wharncliffe, just to have for those days we’re you’re a little less certain what life (or work, rather) will throw at you.
I’m tempted by the delica k390 wharnie, as many of the qualities I like are carried over from the DF2. All but one. Part of the reason I like the DF2 so much is how close I get to the edge. Having my index finger right up to the heel of the edge combined with that short blade allows for very precise operation. I know the kick on the Delica allows for for a similar grip, but… I’m reluctant.
I snagged a RJ on sale to give it a try, but it’s maybe a step too far in size and burliness. It does have some qualities I like though, so I’m keeping it around for further evaluation, but it’s not the mid sized wharnie I’m looking for.
I might land on the Delica eventually, but it’s not a critical use case and my ever more crowded knife drawer is not really leaving me short on options, so I can afford to sit on the fence and see if something comes along to better fill that gap.

As far as the N5 LW (again, salt in my case) goes I have nothing to add. The tolerances are almost unreal for a plastic knife. It wasn’t love at first sight, but over time I’ve found it impossible to not like the N5 LW for what it is.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

IMG_0678-compressed.jpeg
I used my PM2 on a Chorizo snack
Just one more knife...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Used my Military to cut some speaker cable at a venue I was doing security at.

Had the owner ask us security guards the dreaded "anyone have a knife?"

Replied yes, what do you need cut?

They said some speakers needed their cables cut and sent me off to do the job.

Wasn't sure if it'd damage the edge but didn't want to walk 1/2 a mile each way to my car for my Leatherman with wire cutters, so the Millie did it.

No damage.
:unicorn
RyanY

Post by RyanY »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:38 pm

Wasn't sure if it'd damage the edge but didn't want to walk 1/2 a mile each way to my car for my Leatherman with wire cutters, so the Millie did it.

No damage.
Awesome! Wire thickness? Copper? Blade steel? Edge angle? Curious minds like to know haha
-Ryan
MNOSD member #00053
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Quick little cut test, feels good enough for tomorrow.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

RyanY wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:53 pm
vivi wrote:

No damage.
Awesome! Wire thickness? Copper? Blade steel? Edge angle? Curious minds like to know haha
It was dark so hard to tell, but wire thickness was around 6-8mm, I'd guess copper with how easily it cut, S30V DLC Military sharpened to 180 grit at around ,12dps with no microbevel.
:unicorn
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Dragonfly salt SE: trimmed some bamboo, harvested a few peppers / cucumbers and opened the packaging of a pole chainsaw.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Cut some bush branches out of my way in the garden today. They weren't very thick, used a 320 grit edge, sliced through the more tender branches like nothing, had to make a few cuts to get a thicker woodier one out of the way. Seems the coarse edge worked dandy for the more fibrous, soft stuff, but I could maybe imagine a finer edge feeling better when working with denser, harder wood. Still feels just as sharp though. I'll be curious to do more coarse edge testing.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
RyanY

Post by RyanY »

vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:30 am
RyanY wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:53 pm
vivi wrote:

No damage.
It was dark so hard to tell, but wire thickness was around 6-8mm, I'd guess copper with how easily it cut, S30V DLC Military sharpened to 180 grit at around ,12dps with no microbevel.
This is probably an example of how important heat treatment is. I only have one knife in s30V, not a Spyderco, and I feel fairly confident that it would have walked away with tiny chips in the edge even at 15 dps. Very cool!
-Ryan
MNOSD member #00053
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Opened Chicken goodies again…Tractor Supply was out of the Flock Block so I got a Deer Block which is similar just sweetened more with molasses…maybe they’ll start laying more but this heat has em down on production 🐓
kobold

Post by kobold »

SSS K390 is my grill knife (or deck knife) and i grilled dinner this afternoon.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Cut up a big box of kitty litter with my BBB Manic 2 yesterday. I'm not sure if it's just my imagination, but it seems to be gliding through the cardboard with less resistance after putting a patina on it.
Attachments
PXL_20230731_095331629.NIGHT~2.jpg
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

kennbr34 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:02 am
Cut up a big box of kitty litter with my BBB Manic 2 yesterday. I'm not sure if it's just my imagination, but it seems to be gliding through the cardboard with less resistance after putting a patina on it.
Don’t know how patina affects cutting but man that kitty litter box had no chance 😳
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Opened a few bags of planting mix with my newest workhorse beast…what a stud of a knife 💪
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:15 pm
kennbr34 wrote:
Don’t know how patina affects cutting but man that kitty litter box had no chance 😳
Yeah that's why I wonder if I am just imagining it, but it seems like it glided through easier than with the normal finish. The box comes with 40 lbs of litter so it's double and even quadruple walled at some parts and it seemed like it sailed through it a lot easier this time than the last few I broke down. It was like a laser or something.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

kennbr34 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:24 pm
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:15 pm
kennbr34 wrote:
Yeah that's why I wonder if I am just imagining it, but it seems like it glided through easier than with the normal finish. The box comes with 40 lbs of litter so it's double and even quadruple walled at some parts and it seemed like it sailed through it a lot easier this time than the last few I broke down. It was like a laser or something.
Wow, that’s a beefy box…makes me want to google it 🤔…I’m surprised no forum expert on tool steel hasn’t chimed in…unfortunately I don’t have any BBB,would love the Manix version tho but it’s a rare bird these days
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Removed weeds with the H1 Enuff wharnie.
enuff_h1_02.jpg