Manix2 Backlock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Post by Doc Dan »

murphjd25 wrote:The brown LW with XHP is back in stock at KC.
I do not see it listed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:Here are the mod pics. I may play with the part leading to the opening hole to make it look better. I don't know.

You are the master modder. That looks pretty good.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I wouldn't say master, but thanks, bro. It just feels more friendly in the hand.

Here's how I wish it was. This is a Cold Steel American Lawman beside the unmodded Manix...

- best wishes, Jazz.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Jazz wrote:Here are the mod pics. I may play with the part leading to the opening hole to make it look better. I don't know
That looks great Jazz! I bet it melts in the hand now. I rounded a few of mine too and it makes a massive difference in comfort. I'm really hoping to see this Manix in a Cruwear-type tool steel.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You know, I bet Evil D could have a great time modding this one. No liners in the way. Just sayin'.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Jazz wrote:You know, I bet Evil D could have a great time modding this one. No liners in the way. Just sayin'.
The only problem with that is: You won't know when to stop removing material! The steel gives you a little backup strength.

This is probably not the right thread, but did anyone notice there are 3 "Manix 2 Carbon Fiber With CPM154 Over S90V Laminate Blade" for $239.97 in stock at New Graham? That's a great price compared to what the first run sold at.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Very nice looking mod! Might consider something similar eventually as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:You know, I bet Evil D could have a great time modding this one. No liners in the way. Just sayin'.
Yep and I intend to do just that but I'm trying to hold out for a different steel. I planned on doing some heavy contouring on the scales but it looks like the screws will prevent me from really rounding them off. I may buy some 1/4 inch G10 and cut out some scale shapes and drill the holes and then epoxy them to the factory scales so I can really round out the handle like a good fixed blade. Then my only issue will be mounting the clip but maybe I can find some longer screws.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote: I planned on doing some heavy contouring on the scales but it looks like the screws will prevent me from really rounding them off.
That was my problem. Mine would be rounder if the screws didn't go right to the edge. Obviously, the bottom's no problem.
- best wishes, Jazz.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:Had me fooled.

I think that the Manix 2 BL is the best Spyderco made right now, based upon the one I received.
Why would you say that ? Based on ....

Marius
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:

I think that the Manix 2 BL is the best Spyderco made right now, based upon the one I received.

Marius

I can't say myself as I don't have one, I know people are taking about the lock up, but I've had zero issues with the CBBL lockup and I regard it as one of the best lock designs I've ever used because it doesn't push on the side of the tang, so it has less drag when opening than most lock designs and it doesn't force the blade off center. But, I'm sure the back lock has reached a level of refinement that deserves some respect.
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Marius

I can't say myself as I don't have one, I know people are taking about the lock up, but I've had zero issues with the CBBL lockup and I regard it as one of the best lock designs I've ever used because it doesn't push on the side of the tang, so it has less drag when opening than most lock designs and it doesn't force the blade off center. But, I'm sure the back lock has reached a level of refinement that deserves some respect.
I trust CBBL more than any other lock and I suspect Spyderco is refining them more and more or I was just a lucky guy.My KC exclusive Cruwear Manix2 is a masterpiece.It's just...closing by itself when you release the lock, it's easy to disengage one hand and silky smooth.Same story with my blurple G10 Manix2.For many years I was a PM2 guy but the Manix2 platform is growing in me and mostly because of the fact that I feel more confident in CBBL than in Comp Lock.Plus, I started to like the leaf shape blade style of the Manix2 ....you David now what I'm talking about :) AFAIK you're a convert yourself...

Marius
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:....you David now what I'm talking about :) AFAIK you're a convert yourself...

Marius

For sure, if there's anything I've struggled with it's CBBL vs Compression Lock. Both are fantastic and it really comes down to the knife surrounding them. It was ultimately the ergonomics of the Manix 2 that won me over from the Para 2 camp, it just fits my hand better. If I could get a Manix 2 with a compression lock...man I dunno that would be tough lol.
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:

Marius
I am not sure which part you are referring to. If it is the first part, it was in response to a picture posted earlier that looked like a new pattern for the G10, but it was only the camera.

If the second part, the Manix 2 back lock that I received is tight, smooth, and solid. There are no gaps, not even between the G10 and the metal spacer. The fit and finish are the best overall of any Spyderco I have in my collection. I greatly prefer this knife to the Para 2 and it fits my hand better. The knife I got is simply amazing.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Marius
I am not sure which part you are referring to. If it is the first part, it was in response to a picture posted earlier that looked like a new pattern for the G10, but it was only the camera.

If the second part, the Manix 2 back lock that I received is tight, smooth, and solid. There are no gaps, not even between the G10 and the metal spacer. The fit and finish are the best overall of any Spyderco I have in my collection. I greatly prefer this knife to the Para 2 and it fits my hand better. The knife I got is simply amazing.
May I ask why ? Just curious because the Manix2 platform started to grow in me lately.I was and still am a huge Para2 fan and never imagined that the Manix2 will become a serious competitor against my beloved Para2's.I simply can't put my finger on why I am so atracted to the M2 platform lately.

Marius
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Marius

May I ask why ? Just curious because the Manix2 platform started to grow in me lately.I was and still am a huge Para2 fan and never imagined that the Manix2 will become a serious competitor against my beloved Para2's.I simply can't put my finger on why I am so atracted to the M2 platform lately.

Marius
I was surprised to find I like the M2 better than the PM2, as well. I have had two PM2s and still have one (I gave one away to a friend in need). What I found is that the M2 simply fits my hand better in every way. This is especially true with the back lock version because it is thicker, as well. It is true of the LW M2 CBBL, also.

Another issue is that I have a strong preference for the back lock, which is both stronger and safer than a liner lock, frame lock, or compression lock. I do not really like locks that depend on a detent to stay closed. I have had some near serious accidents, and so has my wife (she refuses to even use a knife with a liner/frame lock). I have also seen them fail under hard use. Next in line I like the CBBL on the Manix 2. It has a bias to close (not as good as the back lock) and is nearly has strong as a back lock. What I am saying is that the M2 has my two favorite locks.

Size: The M2 is more size efficient than the PM2. I can get my M2 LW in the watch pocket of my Wrangler jeans. I cannot do that with the PM2.

Robustness: This is purely subjective on my part, but the blade seems to be over all more robust on the M2 series and it certainly is on the back lock version. That, coupled with a stronger lock gives me a lot of confidence.

Fit and Finish: As I said previously, the fit and finish of the back lock version I got is very good. My LW version is no slouch. I have had PM2s that I was happy with but not thrilled in this regard (still better than my overall experience with Taiwan) in comparison to the M2. I cannot find anything to criticize on my BL M2 at all and the LW has surprised me at how good it is. Are they representative of the whole line? I do not know. I have looked at a few recent M2s and all have been just as good as mine, however.

Handling: When actually using the knife and cutting hard, the M2 wins hands down. It simply handles better and is more controllable, I think. Also, it is more comfortable in the hand over the long haul. I love Spyderco's bidirectional texturing on the LW and I love the feel of the G10 texture on the BL.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It really is that well made of a knife. Trust us. I have a PM 2 that I've had for years, and still don't use it. It's the pinching lock. I love back locks, and this Manix is fealty nice in that area too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Jazz wrote:It really is that well made of a knife. Trust us. I have a PM 2 that I've had for years, and still don't use it. It's the pinching lock. I love back locks, and this Manix is fealty nice in that area too.
So please help pushing for a PM2 backlock version! :D
(preferably in regular blade/handle thickness)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Joris Mo wrote: So please help pushing for a PM2 backlock version! :D
I'd be glad to. That would be a superb knife.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Jazz wrote:
Joris Mo wrote: So please help pushing for a PM2 backlock version! :D
I'd be glad to. That would be a superb knife.
With how the stop of the blade goes all the way to the back of the handle on the Para 2, I don't think you could fit a back lock into a Para 2.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!