Crucarta UKPK?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Crucarta UKPK?

Post by Doc Dan »

RugerNurse wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:59 pm
I know this is a thread about the cruwear version (which would be cool) but how is the UKPK for daily tasks? The SPY27 one would be really cool and am interested in trying one
The UKPK is superb at what it is meant to be: a slipjoint pocket knife. I carry one or another of mine most of the time. They have a superior design for taking out and using and putting away with no fuss. Try one and see.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:38 pm
RugerNurse wrote:
I know this is a thread about the cruwear version (which would be cool) but how is the UKPK for daily tasks? The SPY27 one would be really cool and am interested in trying one
The UKPK is superb at what it is meant to be: a slipjoint pocket knife. I carry one or another of mine most of the time. They have a superior design for taking out and using and putting away with no fuss. Try one and see.
Thanks. I know I ask a lot of opinions on knives and don’t mean to be annoying. With a family of 5 and I’m the only provider I don’t have much extra cash to spend on knives so I try to spend wisely haha. I wish there were more places to try them out before buying. There is not much in my town.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

RugerNurse wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:37 am
Doc Dan wrote:
RugerNurse wrote:
Thanks. I know I ask a lot of opinions on knives and don’t mean to be annoying. With a family of 5 and I’m the only provider I don’t have much extra cash to spend on knives so I try to spend wisely haha. I wish there were more places to try them out before buying. There is not much in my town.
I understand completely and as a nurse you get my respect.

The UKPK is one knife that you can buy and never regret it. That's my opinion. It is a great knife with or without the clip. I'm kind of old fashioned in that I like to drop a knife down in my pocket or put it in the watch pocket of my jeans. The UKPK is very thin and carries well. I like the pointy tip and how the hand and blade are positioned optimally with each other for cutting. My next one will be the SPY27, most likely. I prefer the leaf blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

RugerNurse wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:37 am
Doc Dan wrote:
RugerNurse wrote:
P.M. me your mailing address and I'll send you a HH UKPK factory second to try out.
bgoode315

Post by bgoode315 »

RugerNurse wrote:
The ukpk is my current favorite spyderco. It’s knocked off the delica, endela, alcyone (great overlooked knife), chap, lil native, and even clay 3. I’m a carpenter, and I probably use my knife more than average, so I was skeptical about a non locking knife, but I’ve really come to love it. Once in a while I’ll put some unusual pressure on the knife during a cut, and I feel the detent break, but because of the great design there’s no harm in this.

I’m going back and forth between the spy27 version and the heinne Haynes s30 drop point. Both are great. I slightly prefer the g10 construction of the HH version, but the regular fen is really nice too. Super light, if that’s your thing, and the frn is really stiff. I tried a bugout for a little while, and although it’s a fine design, the scales were really rubbery and malleable and it kind of ruined the knife for me. Not the case w the ukpk.

It’s just enough knife for everything I do day to day. The only reason I carry something else is for hunting. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed if you try it.

And so far the spy27 has been great. Haven’t done much more than touch it up on the sharpmaker, but it regains an edge pretty easily and seems to hold it for a nice amount of time.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

bgoode315 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:44 pm
RugerNurse wrote:
The ukpk is my current favorite spyderco. It’s knocked off the delica, endela, alcyone (great overlooked knife), chap, lil native, and even clay 3. I’m a carpenter, and I probably use my knife more than average, so I was skeptical about a non locking knife, but I’ve really come to love it. Once in a while I’ll put some unusual pressure on the knife during a cut, and I feel the detent break, but because of the great design there’s no harm in this.

I’m going back and forth between the spy27 version and the heinne Haynes s30 drop point. Both are great. I slightly prefer the g10 construction of the HH version, but the regular fen is really nice too. Super light, if that’s your thing, and the frn is really stiff. I tried a bugout for a little while, and although it’s a fine design, the scales were really rubbery and malleable and it kind of ruined the knife for me. Not the case w the ukpk.

It’s just enough knife for everything I do day to day. The only reason I carry something else is for hunting. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed if you try it.

And so far the spy27 has been great. Haven’t done much more than touch it up on the sharpmaker, but it regains an edge pretty easily and seems to hold it for a nice amount of time.
Thanks for the tips. I’ve used a Swiss Army knife many times but never had an issue with it closing on me. People make a big deal about non locking knife on YouTube reviews lol.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If you really need a lock, a folding knife is the wrong tool for the job.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Because of how safe the UKPK feels in the hand in use, it’s made me question if I really need a load of 2.5 to 3.5 inch locking knives that I’m legally restricted as to where I can use them.
It’s such a hassle free knife in every sense that any blade shape, steel or handle combination is more than welcome by me.

As said, Cruwear probably not optimal on a little slipjoint and the liners will add weight but I don’t mind, I will buy it, and it will get used.

Now a 15V drop point and brown g10 on the other hand… :smiling-heart-eyes