Hey Sal - any news on the Maxamet Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Hey Sal - any news on the Maxamet Military?

Post by sal »

Hi Cobra,

I imagine that we'll get to it eventually. Probably more likely with the Millie 2, but until the expansion is complete, sometime next year, and the new equipment is in, it will still take a while. I guess you can bump now and them to remind me to remind Eric.

sal
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Sal, this is fantastic news! I'll happily wait and be patient. I'm so glad to hear it's not shelved permanently, and I think a Maxamet Millie 2 would be awesome.
--Jeremy
sal

Post by sal »

To be honest, MAxamet is a PITA to work with.

sal
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Well, maybe you could just make it a sprint run for the Millie 2 platform - at some point in the future - instead of committing to it being a regular production model. I'd definitely buy 2, maybe even 3 or 4.
--Jeremy
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

That’s a good way to spend $1200 😂
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:17 pm
To be honest, MAxamet is a PITA to work with.

sal
If the BBB Manix is successful then 15v could replace Maxamet as Spyderco’s main non-stainless high wear steel. If I am not mistaken it is easier to work with.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I only own a knife in Maxamet because the Sage 1 can’t be had in any other steel. I honestly can’t stand Maxamet. I’d rather sharpen a knife much more frequently and actually enjoy the process.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:48 pm
I only own a knife in Maxamet because the Sage 1 can’t be had in any other steel. I honestly can’t stand Maxamet. I’d rather sharpen a knife much more frequently and actually enjoy the process.

What are you sharpening with? Not trying to talk you into liking it (it's not my favorite either) but I was able to reprofile my Native 5 with sandpaper. If you get the right media to cut it, it's far less aggravating.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Based on what Shawn/BBB has written, 15v seems like a better choice and an easier target to hit vs Maxamet. Maxamet seems to be very difficult in the existing models, I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be in an even longer blade in regards to warping.

Maxamet Military: It’s one of those cases where it’s easy to request, but very difficult to deliver.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
attila

Post by attila »

What about a Z-Max Military (Maxitary :winking-tongue)?
I was wondering if Z-Max was easier to keep from warping than Maxamet but might have better wear resistance than 15V (depending on Shawn’s heat treatment).
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:16 am
Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:48 pm

What are you sharpening with? Not trying to talk you into liking it (it's not my favorite either) but I was able to reprofile my Native 5 with sandpaper. If you get the right media to cut it, it's far less aggravating.
I have used a KME, Wicked Edge, Sharpmaker, and benchstones. With the KME and Wicked Edge it isn’t a big deal, but I like being able to achieve good results touching up with the Sharpmaker and general sharpening with benchstones. I’m simply not skilled and patient enough to achieve those results with Maxamet. It’s as much a “me thing” as it is the steel.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:45 pm
Probably more likely with the Millie 2
sal
Well, that saves me some money.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'm just gonna bump this since it has been 4 months. I recognize that this can't be committed to, but I am just keeping it from being forgotten.
--Jeremy
Super_Star

Post by Super_Star »

Any news I missed on a Maxamet Military?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Super_Star:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Super_Star wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 6:10 pm
Any news I missed on a Maxamet Military?
It's not likely to happen for the Military. That one seems to have been abandoned in favor of the Military2. As for when that will happen, I'd give it a couple more years. The last yime I was out there, they didn't even have machinery in the new factory area. Aquisition, installation, set-up and training all take time, and getting caught up on the backlog in production will take more.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

A magnacut or LC200N salt Millie or Millie 2 would have more mass appeal than Maxamet imho. I see a Magnagut Millie 2 Salt being the most likely of that combo but the added toughness of the LC200N would be more true to the functionality of the blade shape. An impervious and tough Millie is an attractive offering and incredibly useful.

The Salt Millie would be a great light weight full size folder for military types who work in wet and humid environments. A LC200N Millie could be a favorite of first responders too. My regular duty folder has always been a Millie but a LC200N or Magna cut would be the bees knees. The size to weight ratio of the Millie is perfect.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Fireman wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:26 pm
A magnacut or LC200N salt Millie or Millie 2 would have more mass appeal than Maxamet imho. I see a Magnagut Millie 2 Salt being the most likely of that combo but the added toughness of the LC200N would be more true to the functionality of the blade shape. An impervious and tough Millie is an attractive offering and incredibly useful.

The Salt Millie would be a great light weight full size folder for military types who work in wet and humid environments. A LC200N Millie could be a favorite of first responders too. My regular duty folder has always been a Millie but a LC200N or Magna cut would be the bees knees. The size to weight ratio of the Millie is perfect.
That’s neat :/ - I didn’t ask about a salt Military though. I bet you could get a lot of traction for that idea though in your own, separate thread.
--Jeremy
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Apologies for the off topic
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.