How much of your collection do you regularly use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Re: How much of your collection do you regularly use?

Post by zuludelta »

I regularly use about half of the 50 folders I currently own, primarily for work but also as everyday carry cutting tools.

Of that 25, maybe 5 qualify as my current core "users" (i.e., my primary work knife rotation): a Yojimbo 2, a Li'l Temperance 3, a ZDP-189 Endura 4, a K390 Delica 4, and an S110V PM2 (which replaced my S110V Native 5 LW in the rotation). Outside of work, I use a much larger variety of folders although even then I tend towards carrying versions/variants of the knives in my work knife rotation, such as a blacked-out Yojimbo 2 or PM2, a waved Endura 4, or a regular VG-10 Delica 4 with Zomé Green scales.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:02 pm
And to be honest, I don't use my knives terribly often at work - mostly to cut the odd cardboard or pallet wrapping or some such thing - so I've been content with the Byrd's 8Cr13MoV. I can certainly tell the difference in edge holding versus something like Maxamet but I guess I don't cut enough stuff to really mind the difference.

Is that CPM S35VN on that Resilience?
Both are 8Cr. Blade swapped a regular G10 set of scales on a blacked out CE FRN Resilience. Same hardware length so it was very simple.

I'm the same way with edge holding. I use my knives every day but it isn't frequent I cut very abrasive materials. I cut a lot of plastic wrap, slice tape on boxes, open packages and envelopes from the mail - that sort of thing. I cut some cardboard here and there but not massive quantities.

I can certainly tell an edge holding difference between S30V and 8Cr, but 8Cr holds an edge sufficiently for me. I really like being able to quickly touch up the edge of steels like 8Cr, VG10, BD1 etc. I use those steels daily both in pocket knives and work knives, and they get the job done.
:unicorn
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I regularly carry everything in my collection, but opportunities for knife use aren't present every day. My most used knives are the serrated Salt models that I need for weekend yardwork, so maybe only 5 percent of my collection gets used.

My other knives would jump for joy if there is a loose bit of thread on my shirt or a new package that arrives :grin-sweat
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

There are about 150 in the regular rotation which comes out to around 40% regular use knives.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

ATS55 CE Delica 3
K390 SSS
Spy Opera
SE Wharnie Endura
XHP Chief
S35VN PM2
PE Atlantic Salt
52100 CE Para 3

The other 26 live in their boxes waiting. Some will never get used.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:13 am
So what I’d like to ask all of you, how much of your collection sees regular use?
Do you try to rotate through everything? Or do you end up only using 3 or 4?

I think I have about a dozen Spydercos. I have a favorite small knife, a favorite mid-size, and a favorite big knife. Those are the three that I regularly carry. There's a Mule in the kitchen that I use a lot, so I guess that should be included.

The others I might carry occasionally, but I quickly remember why those aren't my favorites, and they get tossed back into the Drawer of Unloved Knives.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Out of all of my many Spydercos, I now only use basically 3 regularly. I carry a black UKPK with BD1N in my jeans when I go out. I carry a blue UKPK S110V around the house in my shorts in one pocket. For both uses I also carry a Ladybug Salt SE, as well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

I use every knife I own, but there are 6 or 7 that get the most pocket time/belt time. I don’t ever buy anything with the intent to not use it.
Slightly obsessed…
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I use and have carried every knife I've purchased, but some were bought to cover hypothetical bases, some I had to have, and some were exploratory purchases...these days there are very few new knives that I find intriguing and feel like most of my exploration has turned towards knives I already own.

I don't use knives at work anymore and have found my daily uses becoming fewer and further in-between...I'll be honest and say that I use to hypothetically carry check myself and think that I needed to mix up my carry on a regular basis, rotating between knives that only myself or our corner of the internet could even distinguish between...

Now I usually put an EDC in pocket and keep it there for a few weeks only to switch it out when a particular situation or boredom dictates...

I've got a K390 LB on my keys every day, and think that my favorite carries are the Mantra 1, Swayback & SE UKPK Salt depending on the situation, but honestly that's just because I don't take the time to switch them out enough...I really enjoy all the knives I own but in the last couple of years I've probably carried 8% of them for more than 2 weeks.

My "collection" feels pretty static, there are none that I'm looking to move on, and nothing new I feel like I need to add...it's a strange feeling for a long-time blade addict, LOL!

Favorite Spydies to carry (off top) no order: Chief, Swayback, Native, Mantra 1, Ikuchi, SE UKPK, Air
So it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A very small percentage unfortunately. Much of my hoard is made up of past "this is the one" models that have been dethroned by other models, along with a few classics that I've bought purely for collecting reasons that almost never get used or carried. I try to rotate on my days off but I've become so strict about my work knife that it never changes anymore, and that makes up probably 90% of my uses outside of kitchen work. It doesn't help that lately I haven't had anything new to play with so there aren't a lot of reasons to switch it up.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

When my collection was smaller, I used more of it.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:44 am
Yes. I feel this way about money, when i have less i spend more. Or food. I wonder why…
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:08 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Yes. I feel this way about money, when i have less i spend more. Or food. I wonder why…
Panicked consumption of money or food in short supply is a thing, I suppose. I was merely pointing out an interesting arithmetic problem of use against a collection’s growing size.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I currently have approximately 150 knives. There's only 2 or 3 that I know I've never carried or used. Problem with having 150 knives that I like is that none really get carried and used as much as they should. I have a few favorites that I'll carry more often than others and there's a few that have only been carried a few times. As I said I like them all but it's hard to get to them all.

Lately, instead of picking a different knife to carry each day, I've been selecting 10-12 knives that I want to get into my pocket and I set them on my desk. That's what I pick from for a couple weeks. Then, when I get tired of the selection I put them all away and I choose 12 more. It gives me a chance to go through my collection and choose knives I haven't seen in awhile. Speaking of which, I was just going my Imgur account and I saw pics of several knives that I completely forgot about. So those will be on my desk and eventually in my pocket next week
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I make like under half a dozen cuts a week with my pocket knives, and have 4-5 favorites that see regular use... Tiny fraction of my collection :disappointed

Want to try all the steels, but I'm not a homesteader
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Airlsee wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:27 am
I use and have carried every knife I've purchased, but some were bought to cover hypothetical bases, some I had to have, and some were exploratory purchases...these days there are very few new knives that I find intriguing and feel like most of my exploration has turned towards knives I already own.

I don't use knives at work anymore and have found my daily uses becoming fewer and further in-between...I'll be honest and say that I use to hypothetically carry check myself and think that I needed to mix up my carry on a regular basis, rotating between knives that only myself or our corner of the internet could even distinguish between...

Now I usually put an EDC in pocket and keep it there for a few weeks only to switch it out when a particular situation or boredom dictates...

I've got a K390 LB on my keys every day, and think that my favorite carries are the Mantra 1, Swayback & SE UKPK Salt depending on the situation, but honestly that's just because I don't take the time to switch them out enough...I really enjoy all the knives I own but in the last couple of years I've probably carried 8% of them for more than 2 weeks.

My "collection" feels pretty static, there are none that I'm looking to move on, and nothing new I feel like I need to add...it's a strange feeling for a long-time blade addict, LOL!

Favorite Spydies to carry (off top) no order: Chief, Swayback, Native, Mantra 1, Ikuchi, SE UKPK, Air
^ I relate to a lot of this including some of your favorites. I have my Mantra out for carry this past two weeks and that could easily be "THE" knife for me...or...I could pick a UKPK...or....
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:27 am
Cheddarnut wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:08 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Panicked consumption of money or food in short supply is a thing, I suppose. I was merely pointing out an interesting arithmetic problem of use against a collection’s growing size.
I understand, I'm always cross applying principles. Much to my partners chagrin 😋
I use maybe 20%, with the ones that show use in my pocket more often. Its been a learning experience to realize that the less i pay for a knife the more i use it, relegating my ‘best’ knives to the shelf. Another factor that plays in heavily which seems ridiculous is the clip-i can’t stand silver clips these days, and refuse to mod my knives with 3rd party add ons. I end up with the coated ( not painted) clipped knives getting preference. As such, the 52100 para 3 has nested in my pants which brings me down to like 5% of the collection in rotation.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I rotate about everything in collection since purging. Although some are designated for good occasions. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

I try to use them all. Some just get used more than others. I go on FRN kicks, or titanium kicks, etc. so that kind of determines what I carry sometimes. If I have anything I just don’t want to carry, ever, I get rid of it.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I've never considered myself a "collector" per se.. but I've accumulated so many knives over the last two or three decades (with most of them being acquired in the last 4-5 years) that there's no real denying a collector is what I am at this point. I buy all my knives with the intention of carrying & using them. I don't really have any regular "rotation" to selecting my carry, mostly just whatever I feel like on a given day based on my mood or any expected tasks. I have my favorites and there are definitely a handful that get used a lot more than others, but it's always nice to get reacquainted with one that I haven't carried in a long time too.

I do not believe in "safe queens" and I personally have no issue at all using any one of my knives as a knife. They are, first and foremost, tools. That said.. I just have so many at this point that, unfortunately, many of them do sit unused for long periods of time. Every now and again I toy with the idea of selling some off, but that never seems to happen and the accumulation just keeps growing haha..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..