Hawkbill Grail

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Hawkbill Grail

Post by sal »

Hi Knivesandbooks,

If I decide to use the design of the handle to bring back the concept/design in FRN, I would consider a Hawkbill, a Leaf, a Wharncliffe, and a "Reverse S" in blade shapes. In my opinion, the shape of the handle is ergonomic enough, with enough control (the purpose and function of a handle) to support an number of blade shapes, but I've been wrong in the past?

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:51 am
Hi Knivesandbooks,

If I decide to use the design of the handle to bring back the concept/design in FRN, I would consider a Hawkbill, a Leaf, a Wharncliffe, and a "Reverse S" in blade shapes. In my opinion, the shape of the handle is ergonomic enough, with enough control (the purpose and function of a handle) to support an number of blade shapes, but I've been wrong in the past?

sal
I've not held one but it looks like you're right! I'd be most interested in a hawkbill, though I've always wanted to try a Reverse S like on the Matriarch. Fear of breaking the tip has scared me away from purchasing one, perhaps unjustifiably.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
sal

Post by sal »

The Matriarch tip is stronger than the Civilian. If I make a Reverse S, I will make sure the tip is strong enough for general use. there are some real advantages to the Reverse S. It's a synthesis of a Hawkbill and an edge with a belly.

sal
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Here in NZ, two Matriachs are the same price as one Civilian...hmmmmmm...
max808

Post by max808 »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:05 am
The Matriarch tip is stronger than the Civilian. If I make a Reverse S, I will make sure the tip is strong enough for general use. there are some real advantages to the Reverse S. It's a synthesis of a Hawkbill and an edge with a belly.

sal
Wow Sal, your generosity never ceases to amaze me. A Superhawk with a reverse s in any steel and handle configuration would be my new object of desire. With a FRN handle I would keep/add at least one steel liner though. As much as I love my Spyderhawk and Tasman they do feel a bit soft in the middle compared to a Civilian or Matriarch. And please give it some teeth Sir?
:respect :bug-red :usflag :bug-red :respect
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I would be very happy to see the hawkbill and leaf blade come back in any form. Frn, sprint, whatever.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:05 am
The Matriarch is stronger than the Civilian. If I make a Reverse S, I will make sure the tip is strong enough for general use. there are some real advantages to the Reverse S. It's a synthesesis of a Hawkbill and an edge with a belly.

sal

This is great, Sal. I've wanted to try a reverse S model for some time, but never did, because I've long heard of the disclaimer that comes with the Civilian and Matriarch that it's not designed to stand up to general use. There are times when I'm gardening around the yard and find myself wishing that my Tasman (my main gardening knife) had a reverse S blade.

Even though I've stopped buying knives for the time being, I would want to purchase one of your redesigned reverse S models at some point in the future, for sure. Especially if it’s “Salty.”

Jim
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

A serrated salty reverse S sounds really appealing.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It would be a must have instant buy.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Max,

If we put a liner in it, it becomes far more complicated to make it a salt.

sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:49 pm
Hi Matt,

Thanx for the thread. It's one of those designs that thought was kind of an ultimate Hawkbill. More expensive that I'd hoped for. I named the knife after one of my favorite motorcycles in the 60's.

I worked on the design for quite a while. Even the edge was a decreasing radius to keep the pressure consistent as one got close to the tip. Sure grip with the "hook" at the butt so it was secure if the tip of the blade caught on something. Thicker blade and Compression lock for extra strength. Peel ply carbon fiber for grip and performance.

As Yab said, they didn't fly off of the shelf. Then in an effort to see why, I designed the handle with a more conventional blade shape, but to no avail.

Any thoughts on an FRN handle version with a thinner (3mm) blade? Maybe a Wharnie? As time moves on, the direction of interests change. Thoughts?

sal
The general handle shape of the SuperHawk is nicely ergonomic, but I would suggest doing away with the choil and then looking at the same advanced index finger position of the RockJumper. But then you're essentially talking about a RockJumper but with a hawkbill blade shape, which is much more appealing to me.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

The Superhawk is in my top 5 designs. I 100%disagree with removing the choil. This is my number one carried hawkbill. I choke up with the choil a lot.
Even though I hate the way the comp lock flicks my finger when I open it, there is only one thing I would tweek on this perfect knife.
My uniform BDU pants have a slant slash pocket. The spur at the end of the grip slips inside the lip of my pocket and snags when I draw it out. Rounding off a half inch of that spur would help prevent snagging and hanging up in the pocket.
I had to add a crisp edged lanyard bead to maintain purchase when it snags.

I'd definitely buy a wharnie. :cheap-sunglasses
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:12 pm
The Superhawk is in my top 5 designs. I 100%disagree with removing the choil. This is my number one carried hawkbill. I choke up with the choil a lot.
Even though I hate the way the comp lock flicks my finger when I open it, there is only one thing I would tweek on this perfect knife.

My uniform BDU pants have a slant slash pocket. The spur at the end of the grip slips inside the lip of my pocket and snags when I draw it out. Rounding off a half inch of that spur would help prevent snagging and hanging up in the pocket.

Just to clarify... I'm not starting a choil vs. no choil debate. I completely understand that some people really like choils and want a choil on the SuperHawk. But the SuperHawk didn't sell well, and I was commenting on a change that, I think, would lead to more appeal and better sales. One test would be to put a hawkbill blade on the RockJumper (if the design fits), which I would buy, and I suspect would have more appeal.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

There's some dealers far far away that still have it on the shelves. I was a bit calmed by the price for VG-10 but the Byrd Hawkbill and my old grandpa's converted me to this blade shape.

And VG-10 is a steel I love in serrations. I wonder how a PE VG-10 hawkbill would fair nowadays if we compare it to a SE 8cr hawkbill.
Maybe itll join the Chokwe one day...
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Ooo a sax wharnie on the Super platform would be cool! :cheap-sunglasses A sax blade with a fuller like the Tuff.

SUPERSAX
z1r

Post by z1r »

Ooh, I'm down. I like the idea of either the PE Hawkbill or Reverse S blades. The only PE Hawkbill I have is a SS Byrd Crossbill. Love the blade, not the heavy SS handles. I'd love that knife with some FRN handles.
sal

Post by sal »

captnvegtble wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:13 am
5-by-5 wrote:

Just to clarify... I'm not starting a choil vs. no choil debate. I completely understand that some people really like choils and want a choil on the SuperHawk. But the SuperHawk didn't sell well, and I was commenting on a change that, I think, would lead to more appeal and better sales. One test would be to put a hawkbill blade on the RockJumper (if the design fits), which I would buy, and I suspect would have more appeal.

Hi Captnvgtble,

The jury is still out on the "Handle forward" concept. Once the "Leaf Jumper" is out in the field, we'll have a better idea of what direction we want to go with it.

We've been making knives for more than 40 years. One of the things we've noticed, which can be confusing and frustrating, is that some of our concepts were ahead of their time for good reception. It is for that reason, that we consider bringing out earlier models that will perhaps be better understood by enough to keep a model in the line, when it might not have been popular enough earlier.

sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:22 pm
captnvegtble wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:13 am
5-by-5 wrote:

Hi Captnvgtble,

The jury is still out on the "Handle forward" concept. Once the "Leaf Jumper" is out in the field, we'll have a better idea of what direction we want to go with it.

We've been making knives for more than 40 years. One of the things we've noticed, which can be confusing and frustrating, is that some of our concepts were ahead of their time for good reception. It is for that reason, that we consider bringing out earlier models that will perhaps be better understood by enough to keep a model in the line, when it might not have been popular enough earlier.

sal
Thanks Sal for your comments! I'm excited to see where the "handle forward" concept goes, because I think it has a lot of potential and benefits!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:51 am
...a Wharncliffe, and a "Reverse S" in blade shapes.
YES and YES!
-Turbo
max808

Post by max808 »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:04 pm
Hi Max,

If we put a liner in it, it becomes far more complicated to make it a salt.

sal
Thank you Sal, would that be on account of the liner also having to be salt? If a liner is unlikely, my preference would be carbon fiber scales for rigidity or just plain ole VG-10, but I'm pretty sure I don't speak for most people on here so don't mind me too much. Have a great day Sir.

Max
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard