Knife for Maritime Academy Student

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pantheon

Re: Knife for Maritime Academy Student

Post by Pantheon »

I agree, the main thing is size in the hand I guess as well as the locking mechanism (Not Sure what it's Called) that is so much different than the Tenacious I've been using for my everyday carry the past year or so.

https://imgur.com/a/orydwyW
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Most of the Snipes I knew in the Navy carried Swiss Army Knives. They used the tools much more often than the knife blade.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
embry386

Post by embry386 »

That sucks that the knife isn't working out for you. Spyderco does make a lot of smaller knives though. The Salt 2, or the Tasman Salt if you like hawkbills, are the smaller Delica-sized versions of the Pacific Salt. They also have the newer updated handle shape so they match the Delica's handle, which is pretty widely-agreed-upon to be a comfortable and nice handle for a majority of people. Also, the Native Salt isn't out yet, but it'll be much smaller than the Pacific Salt. And there are a variety of sheepsfoot-style blades that are also Salt and might work for you if you like that blade shape.

Most of them are going to have a lockback instead of a linerlock like the Tenacious though. Lockbacks are less prone to getting gunk jammed in them and easier to rinse out, so it makes sense to use them on knives that are going to be exposed to a lot of hard use in dirty conditions.

Good luck finding a knife you like! There's a lot of awesome knives out there, you'll find one that suits you eventually :)
Pantheon

Post by Pantheon »

The main thing I guess is the size and weight, but also the lock-back (I think thats what the locking mechanism is called). I like my tenacious for its size as well as control ability, the Pacific seems hard to control ? I'm not sure how to put i feel about it in words....
Pantheon

Post by Pantheon »

Sorry for the large delay..... I just wasn't happy with the Grip and shape of the blade, agreed it'll do the work necessary but I don't know how to put how I felt exactly into words. In any case I did decide to keep the Pacific SE and just return the plain in the hopes that it will grow on me, now I'm waiting for the Native 5 Salt or looking for something similar in LC200N plain edge to carry with during watch along with the Pacific Salt SE
Pantheon

Post by Pantheon »

a
carrot

Post by carrot »

Pantheon wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:55 am
Ok so got my Pacific Salt SE & Plain today, Honestly not a fan of how either blade feels in my hand. Thoughts on alternatives, the Salt 2 looks nice altho I'm thinking I might just end up keeping the Pacific Salt SE and replacing the Plain Edge with something a bit smaller.
The Pacific Salt has a "surprising" balance due to the handles being so lightweight. After your hands have some time to adjust, using the Pacific feels like second nature. I am very fond of the Salt knives in every size, and I find FRN Spydercos to be easily my favorites.
Pantheon

Post by Pantheon »

Yeah I'm starting to agree, I did end up getting a triangle sharp maker as well instead of a second knife, and will likely order a Native 5 Salt when it comes out.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Pantheon wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:58 am
The main thing I guess is the size and weight, but also the lock-back (I think thats what the locking mechanism is called). I like my tenacious for its size as well as control ability, the Pacific seems hard to control ? I'm not sure how to put i feel about it in words....
I'm thinking it's the texture of the G10 handle material on your tenacious that you're missing compared to the textured plastic on the Pacific Salt. As others have alluded to, the balance of a 3.3" blade knife with G10 handle that has two steel liners vs a 3.8" blade knife with liner-less plastic handle is going to be very different. Combining those two differences is going to result in very different perceived handling. I think you'll get used to it.

If you want a plain edge Salt series knife that has a similar lock feel to your Tenacious, there's always the Spydiechef. At $215 I realize it's a budget buster, but maybe you could get one as a Christmas present or the like if family are willing to help you out in that way.