VTOKU Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: VTOKU Sprint Run

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Looks a lot like 52100 to me. It has a little tungsten instead of a little chromium. Should be a breeze to sharpen but for me I don't think it will do anything that Super Blue isn't already doing. It will be fun to play with. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sharp Guy wrote:
BelgiumRofls wrote:Any significant difference in SUS310 vs SUS410? I know many of you have been asking for more scratch-resistant cladding.
I noticed the SUS310 too. Let's hope it's more scratch resistant than SUS410.
Dear Sal, maybe you can comment on the change of cladding steel? Why the change? What can we expect as advantage from the SUS310?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

It's to do with the heat treating, the cladding steel has to be able to be heat treated at the same temperature as the core steel. You have to match the 2 steels, you cannot put any 2 steels together.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Pics added to first post
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

I agree that the cladding is usually chosen with heat treating compatibility in mind but I do not believe that the 300 series stainless steels can be heat treated. The 400 series can be but not the 300. Hopefully somebody who knows more will chime in but I expect it to scratch easily.

Also, I would guess that Spyderco is not picking the cladding and steel pairings but rather just sourcing what the foundry is offering. They may be limited by what their maker can source and what they can work with. Hopefully somebody who knows more will chime in here too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Bill Burke imports this steel from Takefu to supply Blade-smiths for forging. We're helping with the minimum quantity requirements for him. Seemed like a very nice steel and we thought the steel junky's might want to play. I know I want to play.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

And we‘ll play along with you! :) Thanks for the insight!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
clantz

Post by clantz »

Looks like basically Takefu's equivalent to Blue 2,pretty similar to F1 in composition as well. Should be a really nice. Darn, every year I tell myself no more knives but Spyderco keeps putting out sprints in interesting steels like V-Toku2, 52100, Super Blue, etc. that I just can't resist.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I honestly can't see there being complaints about the performance of these once they get in peoples hands. Some may have wanted other steels but in the long run we can still see those other steels. In the mean time we will have a sprint run I'm going to grab up as many as I can of. This is a high end sprint brought out in FRN to save us money. Thank you Sal and Spyderco ! They won't be around long.

Joe
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:Bill Burke imports this steel from Takefu to supply Blade-smiths for forging. We're helping with the minimum quantity requirements for him. Seemed like a very nice steel and we thought the steel junky's might want to play. I know I want to play.

sal
Nice, very cool you guys helping the community too. I was hoping for something else but with those factors in mind V Toku 2 it is!
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

So I should expect it to patina almost instantly like the Super Blue does? I’m pretty excited for these, and my wife is pleased to be adding another to her Ladybug collection.
bearfacedkiller

I'm definitely in for the usual, a Delica and a Stretch. :)

Thanks Sal! Keep looking out for the junkies! We appreciate it.

When is that Police4 frn getting added to this lineup. ;)
-Darby
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Darby,

Probably as soon as we make an FRN version. It will be a while as we haven't begun. The FRN Endela will be first.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:Hi Darby,

Probably as soon as we make an FRN version. It will be a while as we haven't begun. The FRN Endela will be first.

sal
Is that a bombshell or a typo? :p
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Any chance of a VTOKU Hawkbill Dragonfly Sal? I'd love one for work :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

We d have some variations in blades on some of these models. eg: Delica Warnie, hawkbills, Emerson openers, etc. Any interest in adding those?

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

YES! I would buy a Wharn Delica, Emerson Delica, and Hawkbill DFLY in VTOKU
I don't have a sprint in any of those yet, so they'd be top of my list.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

sal wrote:We d have some variations in blades on some of these models. eg: Delica Warnie, hawkbills, Emerson openers, etc. Any interest in adding those?

sal
I think many will agree that the Delica Wharnie should be included in the FRN Japanese family sprints from now on.. :D

Hawkbill could be interesting but already very happy with my Dragonfly H1 Hawkbill and interested in the Hawkbill Sprint coming this year but it would probably be more interesting for those looking for a plain edge Hawkbill.
(which I would get if would be the same volcano handle as the Salt Hawkbill Sprint ;) Hawkbill Dragonfly would also be nice)
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

emerson endura please!
shaztecs_knives on instagram
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sal wrote:We d have some variations in blades on some of these models. eg: Delica Warnie, hawkbills, Emerson openers, etc. Any interest in adding those?

sal
Wharnie Delica for sure. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.