Can anybody recommend a trusted sharpener who can reprofile?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: Can anybody recommend a trusted sharpener who can reprof

Post by Ankerson »

Here is one I did recently. :)

Cliff Stamp

Re: Can anybody recommend a trusted sharpener who can reprof

Post by Cliff Stamp »

baserock love wrote:After like 8 hours of grinding and repetitive stress disorder i have that 30 degree back bevel and 40 degree micro bevel but the back bevel isn't uniform on one side and my formerly well run but still almost pristine delica just doesn't look the same.
As a point or reference, most Spyderco's come with close to 15 degree edges, however they are not always even and the blade grind itself can be off so if you do sharpen at exactly 15 per side one bevel could end up larger than the other.

However as for time, with a properly graded benchstone you can set up something very similar to the Sharpmaker (just tilt the stone) and you can cut an edge bevel at 13 degrees per side very quickly as in under five minutes. This can then be maintained with the 15/20 dps settings on the Sharpmaker easily.

What stone you choose depends on the steel, a Sigma Power 120 works well on S30V and above (this costs ~$15), it is over kill for VG-10 and under. For those a simple Norton works well, just use oil and as much force as you can apply as these are hard stones and you want to be fracturing the abrasive.

But everyone has what they enjoy, just a note to let you know it really isn't as difficult or time consuming as you might think.