NFL Season Again

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: NFL Season Again

Post by MacLaren »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:51 am
I do sincerely hope we win Sunday because I seriously believe that we could literally see a full blown riot at ARROWHEAD if they screw this up any worse
:)

Philly, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland and some others only riot when the teams win. :D

In all serious both the Chiefs and Rams weaknesses seem to be teams that have really physical run games that can control possession as well as score along with a rugged, physical hard hitting defensive line that forces the QB to leave the pocket and run for his life. That was Philly last year. Even the best QB only has but so much magic to use. When they really get tagged by those monster defensive tackles a few times their accuracy always seems to suffer. Right now the Saints look better than the others to me.Then it gets a lot closer. Any team that makes the playoffs can do it. Everyone has lots of film to watch on the other teams now and so when the season gets long, the weather gets bad the really physical teams can have an advantage. Faster teams suffer in January compared to sluggers. As of now I favor an NFC team to go the distance.

Joe
I agree. The only way to get in Tom Bradys head is to hit him multiple times. I'll never forget that AFC Championship with the Broncos. Perfect case in point Joe.
I also agree that the Saints look like the team to beat right now.
2 things seem paramount to winning it all. A good D line and an effective ground game.
I'm really excited to see how the Eagles do...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Hehehe....just checked with my " New Echo Dot" aka Alexa :D
And, Alexa informs me that the Eagles will play the Skins on Sunday at 4:25 PM
Merry Christmas everyone :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:30 am
The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:51 am
I do sincerely hope we win Sunday because I seriously believe that we could literally see a full blown riot at ARROWHEAD if they screw this up any worse
:)

Philly, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland and some others only riot when the teams win. :D

In all serious both the Chiefs and Rams weaknesses seem to be teams that have really physical run games that can control possession as well as score along with a rugged, physical hard hitting defensive line that forces the QB to leave the pocket and run for his life. That was Philly last year. Even the best QB only has but so much magic to use. When they really get tagged by those monster defensive tackles a few times their accuracy always seems to suffer. Right now the Saints look better than the others to me.Then it gets a lot closer. Any team that makes the playoffs can do it. Everyone has lots of film to watch on the other teams now and so when the season gets long, the weather gets bad the really physical teams can have an advantage. Faster teams suffer in January compared to sluggers. As of now I favor an NFC team to go the distance.

Joe
I agree. The only way to get in Tom Bradys head is to hit him multiple times. I'll never forget that AFC Championship with the Broncos. Perfect case in point Joe.
I also agree that the Saints look like the team to beat right now.
2 things seem paramount to winning it all. A good D line and an effective ground game.
I'm really excited to see how the Eagles do...
Tom Brady and Steve Young both were well known to need good protection or their game falls apart very easily. Take that one Superbowl about 10 years ago when the New York Giants upset Lord Brady and the Patriots. It was because Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora were both hitting Brady like a freight train. And it really took toll on him by quarter #4 :D Especially in the 4th quarter of that game when Strahan hit Brady like an 18 wheeler going full stream down a freeway. Brady couldn't hit an elephant five yards away from him after that. The Giants in both their Superbowls with New England knew exactly what to do with Lord Brady and they beat him in humiliating fashion in both games and exposed him for not being able to sustain a hit.

Whereas guys like Dan Fouts, Brett Favre or even our old Lenny Dawson could endure punishment and stay accurate. Week 17 this year especially will do a vicious separation between the men and the boys. In a way I think it might even be good for the Chiefs to have to have their backs completely against the wall. Because as easy as they were winning games in the first 12 games of the season probably gave them a false sense of security. Now I think they finally realize they are going to have to play their hearts out to get to where they are going. But again if they don't get rid of Bob Sutton I don't see any improvement in our defense at all. They have just got to do something about that problem. Because I believe the problem with our defense is far worse than the Kareem Hunt debacle or any other distractions they have had this year.

It's so interesting that so many teams truly control their own destiny going into week 17. But again look out for Philidelphia, Baltimore and the Chargers. Any of those 3 can upset the league expectations.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Man, I could go on and on about Fauts, Favre, Marino, etc....
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I have to disagree about Steve Young a bit. He was a pretty good qb out of the pocket as well. Improvised quite a bit throughout his career, especially those very early days with the creamsicle Tampa Bay Bucs.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:00 pm
I have to disagree about Steve Young a bit. He was a pretty good qb out of the pocket as well. Improvised quite a bit throughout his career, especially those very early days with the creamsicle Tampa Bay Bucs.
Yeah.....Steve Young was pretty darn tough if ya ask me.
He could run good too.
Ole Stevie boy was a lefty too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:04 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
He could run good too.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:49 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:04 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
He could run good too.
Well I seen it twice with my own eyes here at ARROWHEAD stadium. Young played two games I seen him in at ARROWHEAD against the Chiefs>> the one most memorable is when Joe Montana as a KC Chief finally got to play against Steve Young & the 49ers. It was billed Joe Montana vs Steve Young game here at ARROWHEAD in Sept of 1994 and the Chiefs annihilated him and the 49ers that day in grand fashion. But especially in that Joe vs Steve game in Sept of 94 we saw our defense play like their careers depended on it. Our wonderful, all pro defensive end Derrick Thomas gave Steve Young a real ARROWHEAD welcome about 3 times that day and he was only able to connect with Jerry Rice one time that day that I can remember>> after Derrick greeted him a couple of really hard times :eek: :D The second time he tagged good ol Steve was back by the end zone and my nephew and I were at a perfect viewpoint and he slammed Steve to the ground to the point to where he literally bounced off the astro-turf almost a foot off the ground. Steve was taken out for a couple of plays :o

Derrick Thomas had a way with opposing QBs :eek: Most of the QBs in the league even feared Derrick Thomas more than they did Lawrence Taylor for the most part :cool: We also had another guy that QBs greatly feared and his name was Neil Smith :eek: Neil greeted Steve one time on that special day as well. But I do think that Derrick got the better of him :D :D And needless to say Mr. Young's accuracy was greatly affected for the remainder of the game. We also had a running back that was little known in the league that was eating them alive that day :rolleyes: >> the guy's name was Marcus Allen :cool: I do believe that his tenure with the Chiefs was much better than it was with the Raiders. Well that's my viewpoint on Mr. Young being susceptible to a monster defense.

If we had the defense today that we had under Marty Shottenheimer I think we would be unstoppable.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well JD, ole buddy, were gettin down to the nitty gritty. Playoffs will soon be here. Is it just me or has this season flown by?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:25 pm
Well JD, ole buddy, were gettin down to the nitty gritty. Playoffs will soon be here. Is it just me or has this season flown by?
OH no doubt!! the regular season has literally flashed by this year without a doubt. And it's been one of the most strange end of the season scenarios too. This will also be one of the most interesting wild card weekends we've had in a while too. Because I can think of 3 wild card teams that truly have a shot at the big dance and that hasn't happened in a while.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Also I was just thinking about all the weird occurrences that took place during the regular season. Take the Chiefs for instance>> the Kareem Hunt debacle along with about 6 other guys in the league getting suspended indefinitely>> and some of these guys were key players too. I do believe the Kareem Hunt travesty did derail the powerful surge the KC Chiefs had going. It was such a huge distraction and it was also such a big adjustment for the coaching staff to have to deal with.

Also I don't remember a season where so many teams have had so many serious problems with their coaching staffs like they have this particular year. I bet at least a fourth to maybe a third of all the NFL coaches will get axed at the end of the season. Who would have thought that Green Bay Packer coach Mike McCarthy would get the boot?? >> especially in the middle of the season :confused:

And I don't recall a year in which so many new QBs have come to prominence so quickly. Yeah it's truly been a very strange year for the NFL in many respects.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:50 pm
Also I was just thinking about all the weird occurrences that took place during the regular season. Take the Chiefs for instance>> the Kareem Hunt debacle along with about 6 other guys in the league getting suspended indefinitely>> and some of these guys were key players too. I do believe the Kareem Hunt travesty did derail the powerful surge the KC Chiefs had going. It was such a huge distraction and it was also such a big adjustment for the coaching staff to have to deal with.

Also I don't remember a season where so many teams have had so many serious problems with their coaching staffs like they have this particular year. I bet at least a fourth to maybe a third of all the NFL coaches will get axed at the end of the season. Who would have thought that Green Bay Packer coach Mike McCarthy would get the boot?? >> especially in the middle of the season :confused:

And I don't recall a year in which so many new QBs have come to prominence so quickly. Yeah it's truly been a very strange year for the NFL in many respects.
Yup. Good points all around JD!
One thing for sure, this is GREAT for the NFL.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm now going to put the Ravens towards the top as well. That defense has been phenomenal. Reminds of the 2000 Ravens. They can stop ANYBODY! I wasn't sold on Lamar Jackson as their starting qb, but that kid has done a great job. He's Vick 2.0

They don't have any super studs on offense to be scared of, but they do just enough to score points and the defense keeps the other teams offense off the field. Not to mention, they have arguably the best kicker in all of football in Justin Tucker. A vastly overlooked position, but that guy is automatic from 55 yards or less. Not many teams can say that about their kicker these days (looking at you Pittsburgh)

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have no doubt that Baltimore will get a wild card spot. And the way Pittsburgh has been up & down I wouldn't feel too over confident if I were them.
Now I don't know if I would compare this present day defense with the year 2000 Raven's defense :rolleyes: Because that Raven's 2000 Defense was second only to the 85 Chicago Bears IMO. I'm doubtful we see another defensive unit as good as either one of those any time in the near future>> but I guess anything is really possible.

I truly feel that the following are Paper Tigers>> New England , Pittsburgh, Dallas, and to a large degree I'm going to add the L. A. Rams to that list as well. They just remind me too much of our 2003 KC Chiefs team :( Went like gangbusters all season long but fizzled out badly in the play-offs. OK I know it's just a prediction and those are worth less than a bargain burger at Mickey D's :rolleyes: But don't be surprised if I guessed right on all of them I mentioned.

The Chiefs could still put it together but they got to do serious repairs with that defense of theirs. And it's about time to start a prediction list of the coaches that will be drawing unemployment benefits at the end of the Season. My first prediction is that Bob Sutton ( Chief's defensive Coordinator) is going to be about the first to get the ax. I'm not even sure a Superbowl victory could save him as ticked off as the KC Chief's fans have been lately. You can't even turn on a KC sports radio station without hearing plans to run him out of town. And the Chief's front office is truly feeling the pressure I can assure you. You can add Jason Garrett to the list and if the Bengals don't fire Marvin Lewis then all I can figure is he must have a serious line on that owner :eek: If nothing else the NFL should make them fire Lewis for the overall benefit of the league itself IMO.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That 2000 Ravens defense...wowzers. As a diehard Giants fan, I was in 11th grade at the time. They destroyed us and my mother felt bad for me and actually let me stay home from school the next day haha!

I'm still sticking with my prediction earlier in the season...Chiefs/Saints in the Superbowl. I really hope it happens because that would be an AWESOME game to watch!

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:35 am
I'm still sticking with my prediction earlier in the season...Chiefs/Saints in the Superbowl. I really hope it happens because that would be an AWESOME game to watch!
Well I hope you are right about that prediction. But with the Chief's defense faltering the way it has been for the past 4 weeks I'm just not nearly as confident as I was at the beginning of the season. Drew Brees has been there before and he can certainly take the pressure of the playoffs.

If the Chiefs can get home field throughout the playoffs they have a huge chance of getting there. But if someone doesn't get it through to Andy Reid that Bob Sutton is a dudd and a real drag on the team then I'm not even going to bet a bargain basement folder, pocketknife that you can buy at a gas station for less than $5 on their chances. This total collapse in the Chief's defense is an eerie reminder of just how they fell apart in the 2003 season.

It's like I said earlier the Chief's offense was so explosive at the first of the season we just didn't see how lousy the clock management was and how totally unorganized our defense is. I love Andy Reid and think he has done good things here in KC but if they don't do something about this horrific problem with the defense and the clock management then I think it's completely possible that Jon Gruden could hand us a loss at this Sunday's game>> at ARROWHEAD no less.

If Bob Sutton doesn't show some really significant improvement this coming Sunday then I'm now doubtful we can even win game #1 in the playoffs :(
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK how many NFL head coaches do you all think will get the ax at the end of the season? I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that the following teams will be looking for new head coaches soon; Dallas, Cincinnati, NY Jets, Denver, Cleveland, Atlanta, Buffalo and maybe Miami >> and depending on what these teams do today I'll include Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Arizona, and my home town KC Chiefs>>> yes I also said the KC Chiefs.

Because if the Chiefs don't win at home today I do believe that there will be such an uproar from the fans that Clark Hunt ( the owner) will not tolerate it. Not only do I believe that they will ax Andy Reid but they will gut the entire coaching staff. I would not want to be at that game today if the Chiefs would happen to lose :eek:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think Cleveland and possibly Atlanta will be safe. Depending how Dallas does against Seattle...I think that's how it will play out next week?? If Dallas loses in the 1st rd, I can see Garrett getting the boot. Pittsburgh is an interesting one. Seems crazy to fire Tomlin with his track record, but he's made some very strange calls in some very important games this year, hence the situation their in today. I think San Fran MAY be ok as well, tough to win when you lose your franchise qb early on.

I also believe Andy Reid is safe...just can't say the same for the guys on the defensive side of the ball!

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Guys, does Pittsburgh have any real chance to make the playoffs?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If they beat the lowly Bengals and the Browns beat the Ravens, Steelers will be in. Browns have won 5 out 6 I believe...but winning in Baltimore, the way they've been playing doesn't seem very likely.

-Rick