Tell me why I need a Sebenza

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: Tell me why I need a Sebenza

Post by Evil D »

I've come to terms with this just not being the knife for me. My last two knife purchases were well in excess of the cost of a Sebenza, so cost isn't the deciding factor (though for the same price I got two of the same sprint Spyderco). Ultimately I just can't live with a thumb stud as being the only opening method, and more so being out on the blade when open (as opposed to also doubling as a stop pin, ala Umnumzaan, but I just don't like the looks of that knife). It's a shame, because I really do admire the work that goes into them. If they would partner with Spyderco and make one with a thumb hole I'd be first in line.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Evil D wrote:I've come to terms with this just not being the knife for me. My last two knife purchases were well in excess of the cost of a Sebenza, so cost isn't the deciding factor (though for the same price I got two of the same sprint Spyderco). Ultimately I just can't live with a thumb stud as being the only opening method, and more so being out on the blade when open (as opposed to also doubling as a stop pin, ala Umnumzaan, but I just don't like the looks of that knife). It's a shame, because I really do admire the work that goes into them. If they would partner with Spyderco and make one with a thumb hole I'd be first in line.
I can relate to this word for word. I do not have any Sebs anymore but I still get the urge once in awhile to get another because I really do appreciate what they are. It's like a never ending loop. Must resist!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Just thought of my Sebenza the other day. Come to think of it, I haven't carried it (or taken it out of the box) for at least three years. :o
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I've lusted after one for a while and my beautiful bride tells me if I would just buy a few less Spydercos I could get one. I just looked at her and gave her the WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY look. Thirty three years of wedded bliss and communication becomes second nature.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Every knife guy needs to handle a Sebenza, for knowledge of history and tolerances. But with the Slysz Bowie as a thing in the world, I think it's less relevant for actually owning than ever.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I've always wanted a Sebenza, and drooled over them, but then I got to thinking with all these awesome spydies would I actually carry it? Probably not. I may buy one in 20 or 30 years if there still around...
Josh
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Guess I'm odd. I didn't like the sebenza. I sold mine--got almost as much as I paid for it. So they hold their value extremely well (not the worst reason to buy one).
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m picking up a sebenza 21 tomorrow to replace the one I sold for the sole purpose of finding a grail. I’ll post pics n such tomorrow.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
benben

Post by benben »

I got to handle a large Inkosi Insingo at a large gun shop last weekend that just started carrying CR knives. Went in there with all intents of walking out with an HK pistol, walking by one counter and was shocked, they had a pretty huge selection of CRK's! I've never held/handled one before and always thought if I did buy one it would be a small....no! The large just melted into my hand, I didn't want to give it back to the salesman! And WITHOUT a doubt if I bought one it would definitely be the Insingo blade shape!!

I guess I'm just a sold out Spyderco junkie, that Insingo is probably the nicest, well built knife I've ever held, I just can't get past the thumb stud! But it was a dang very nice knife!! But for the money I would have probably walked out of there with the ZT 0562CF with 204P blade steel before the CR knife, even though the ZT also has a thumb stud, it's also a super smooth flipper. Another very well made USA built knife, and I loved that blade grind!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

benben wrote:I got to handle a large Inkosi Insingo at a large gun shop last weekend that just started carrying CR knives. Went in there with all intents of walking out with an HK pistol, walking by one counter and was shocked, they had a pretty huge selection of CRK's! I've never held/handled one before and always thought if I did buy one it would be a small....no! The large just melted into my hand, I didn't want to give it back to the salesman! And WITHOUT a doubt if I bought one it would definitely be the Insingo blade shape!!

I guess I'm just a sold out Spyderco junkie, that Insingo is probably the nicest, well built knife I've ever held, I just can't get past the thumb stud! But it was a dang very nice knife!! But for the money I would have probably walked out of there with the ZT 0562CF with 204P blade steel before the CR knife, even though the ZT also has a thumb stud, it's also a super smooth flipper. Another very well made USA built knife, and I loved that blade grind!!

They must get requests for a thumb hole design constantly. It's definitely more popular than a stud regardless of the hole shape. It's an antiquated design that really needs updated on his knives.
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think they're trying to figure out how to have the thumb hole on just one side of the blade. ;) :eek: :D
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I think that every knife addict should try and own one, they are well made and have their place in the history of knifemaking

I didn't need any so I ended up buying only three + the zaan

I like Insingo the most and in the end I don't use any :D

I don't think the thumb stud is a problem for me, it does the job. Now it also comes up to how many times would you need to open your knife during the day, how often would you really use it or just playing with it, if you really need to open and use it hundreds times a day then the hole is definitelly better

450$ is expensive for a knife but if you calculate how much you spent on less expensive ones you might discover(as I did :D ) that 450$ it's not too expensive at all

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

:)
cabfrank wrote:I think they're trying to figure out how to have the thumb hole on just one side of the blade. ;) :eek: :D
So funny!! They could do it, too, with die sinker EDM. For a modest up charge you could get one done from both sides. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gsg9 wrote:
450$ is expensive for a knife but if you calculate how much you spent on less expensive ones you might discover(as I did :D ) that 450$ it's not too expensive at all

[/img]

It all depends on what you expect to get for that money. I got two 52100 Militaries for that much and two S90V Yojimbo 2's for that much. Those knives may be "lesser quality" when you talk about machining tolerances and all that but you have to ask yourself if any of that truly matters in use and if it's worth having that one knife for that much vs two or even several of something else. I do appreciate those sorts of things but for the price I've got to love everything about it and I just don't love the thumb stud. I can't compromise too much when it's a $450 knife.
~David