Police 4 K390 SE Testing Log

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yablanowitz

Re: Police 4 K390 SE Testing Log

Post by yablanowitz »

I think if you correct your hold, keep the tip level with the pivot pin (front to back, what I refer to as pitch), stop trying to cover the entire edge on each pass and for Pete's sake STOP COUNTING STROKES, you can get back most of what you've lost. My old daily carry first gen was worn down farther than that from improper sharpening when I got it. It's still a far cry from looking new, but you can tell from the backside that it is serrated.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:19 am
I think if you correct your hold, keep the tip level with the pivot pin (front to back, what I refer to as pitch), stop trying to cover the entire edge on each pass and for Pete's sake STOP COUNTING STROKES, you can get back most of what you've lost. My old daily carry first gen was worn down farther than that from improper sharpening when I got it. It's still a far cry from looking new, but you can tell from the backside that it is serrated.

Lol, I usually don't count strokes, I'm not nearly that OCD I was just wondering how much it would take but actually I've never counted on any other steel so it doesn't really tell us much beyond "it's a bunch".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It takes what it takes. Trying to count only leads to mistakes and frustration. Others look at the number and say "O.M.G! There is no way I can do that!" So they never develop the patience to aquire a skill. Just like people look at my whittling projects and ask "How long did that take?" Honestly, I don't know. It takes as long as it takes. Enjoy the journey and the destination takes care of itself.

Here's what mine looks like today.

Pix are not as good as yours, not my field.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Still running her hard?

I'm debating picking up one of these in a Delica when they come out or sticking with the VG-10. To be honest I like the saber grind on the VG-10, times when I actually need a slicey knife it's usually in the kitchen.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

It's only been two months; he's probably still working on the reprofile.

:winking-tongue
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If you're talking to me, yes I still carry it every day. I've never had a pocket knife that would cut up 5 gallon buckets without needing a touch up before. Finished on ultra-fines, it's a real beast.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Still working on it, though less than I wanted to, I admit I got sidetracked by the MagnaCut mule. I'll get back on this.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:46 pm
Still working on it, though less than I wanted to, I admit I got sidetracked by the MagnaCut mule. I'll get back on this.

Hurry up before the Stretch XL SE will sidetrack you again... :beaming-face
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:49 pm
Evil D wrote:

Eh, call me crazy but I don't really have any interest in that one. I know, sounds insane but it really doesn't do anything for me that the Police 4 doesn't already do or my Caribbean. My only interest in getting into significantly bigger knives is for more edge length, and it doesn't offer anything more than my Caribbean does except for a choil which I'm happier without. I'm biding my time for the Leaf Jumper and still hoping for larger versions of the two Jumpers.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Eh, call me crazy but I don't really have any interest in that one. I know, sounds insane but it really doesn't do anything for me that the Police 4 doesn't already do or my Caribbean. My only interest in getting into significantly bigger knives is for more edge length, and it doesn't offer anything more than my Caribbean does except for a choil which I'm happier without. I'm biding my time for the Leaf Jumper and still hoping for larger versions of the two Jumpers.
Ok, then my memory played a trick on me :grin-big eyes

Thought I could recall that you posted somewhere you´d actually get one.

And I can follow your reasoning - only thing then that the XL could actually do for you is still a lot of edge in a lighter, more compact SE (!) backlock knife. But since light weight and compact carry is nothing you´re really looking for, the Police will get no little brother ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:12 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Ok, then my memory played a trick on me :grin-big eyes

Thought I could recall that you posted somewhere you´d actually get one.

And I can follow your reasoning - only thing then that the XL could actually do for you is still a lot of edge in a lighter, more compact SE (!) backlock knife. But since light weight and compact carry is nothing you´re really looking for, the Police will get no little brother ;)

I was at first, I guess maybe I've prioritized my preferences a bit. I guess let's see what steel it comes in before I commit :winking-tongue

I care a lot less about weight than most of you. My two favorite carry knives are a good bit heavier than a Pacific (Pac 2.90oz vs Caribbean 4.20oz and Autonomy 5.30oz) and it doesn't bother me a bit, I'm not a basketball shorts kind of guy and I don't remember the last time I even noticed the weight of a pocket knife. This has become a funny detail to me because I've argued for not making a Military heavier, but I may not even care.

I do like a compact folded size but I also want all the edge I can get inside that package and the Caribbean gives me more edge (3.67 vs 3.46) in a smaller folded package (4.48 vs 4.97) so overall the Caribbean is a more efficient package for me.

What interested me in the Police 4 was having as much edge as I could get in a SE folder at any cost. If I could have the same edge length without a choil in a shorter handle and shorter folded package (aka, like a Sequoia or Cliff Jumper might turn out to be) I would be far more interested in that.

And besides all that, the new Ayoob looks to be coming sooner than later and then I'll probably lose interest in a lot of knives unless it's for steel testing reasons lol.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
I have a question for you. If you could start over, would you use the 20° slots instead of the 15?

I'll be sharpening mine for the first time soon. And not sure the extra performance of 15dps is worth the effort of reprofiling.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:01 pm
Evil D wrote:
I have a question for you. If you could start over, would you use the 20° slots instead of the 15?

I'll be sharpening mine for the first time soon. And not sure the extra performance of 15dps is worth the effort of reprofiling.

I would still use the 15 but I would pay a lot more attention to the position I'm holding the blade at from front to back. I think I've been holding it at a bad angle from front to back and that has rounded off the tips more than I wanted. That kinda bummed me out. I may even buy another one and start over, I keep thinking of grinding the serrations off this one entirely and making it a chisel grind PE just to see how that goes.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Have you tried a really coarse PE like I've been running?

I got really into serrations for a few years but since trying those edges I've come to feel it's the best edge type for me. Curious to hear your thoughts if you have, and if not I could send you one to test out.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:40 pm
Have you tried a really coarse PE like I've been running?

I got really into serrations for a few years but since trying those edges I've come to feel it's the best edge type for me. Curious to hear your thoughts if you have, and if not I could send you one to test out.

To a point, I like around 400-600 grit when I use PE. I can tell you in the month or so I've been using this mule, what I miss the most is the grabby nature of serrations. Even with everything else being equal as far as sharpness and edge finish, I like the basic behavior of serrations. I'm not sure I'll ever really go back to full time PE, it really was a life changer for me. It has changed so much about my preferences in knives in the last 4 years it's kinda profound. Just thinking about how many really nice PE sprints I've passed on and couldn't care less is a really big sign.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:56 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:01 pm
Evil D wrote:

I would still use the 15 but I would pay a lot more attention to the position I'm holding the blade at from front to back. I think I've been holding it at a bad angle from front to back and that has rounded off the tips more than I wanted. That kinda bummed me out. I may even buy another one and start over, I keep thinking of grinding the serrations off this one entirely and making it a chisel grind PE just to see how that goes.
I was hoping you were going to put my mind at ease and say you wouldn't do it.

I love the performance of low angle K390 but don't want to screw up the knife. Im not nearly as practiced as others at sharpening SE. Dont know if Im prepared to spend a month plus on something that might not turn out either.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I just sharpened my k390 delica for the first time today. Really liked sharpening k390. Good feedback, and didn't that that much effort. Profiled the edge to about 16 dps on the KME with a 300 grit. switched to 600 grit and finished on 4 micron strop. The edge shaves, feels sticky sharp, and has that serrated feeling PE that I loved about the factory edge on this thing.

Way easier for me to sharpen this than s30v for some reason. (edit: and 20cv)
Last edited by sethwm on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

My K390 police se got to 15 dps with a diamond rod on my sharp maker in 5 minutes? Then 5 minutes later with white rods and perfection.

**** pocket saw!
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Maybe they changed the factory edge angle. Mine matched the 20° slots on my SharpMaker, and it took several long sessions on the diamond rods to reset it to 15°.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Mine also matches the 20° slots and I lack both the fortitude and the interest required to reprofile it to 15°. It took more than 5 minutes with the diamond rod to take my LC200N SE UKPK Salt to 15° and it was only a degree or two off, leaving me somewhat skeptical. :thinking