** 2015 FORUM KNIFE POLL - VOTING HAS ENDED **

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What Spyderco knife model would you like to see as the next Forum knife?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Paramilitary 2
39%
Manix 2
11%
Caly 3.5
26%
Foundry
0%
Domino
5%
Southard
2%
Spyderco R (Solid Non-skeletonized Blade)
3%
SuperHawk
5%
SuperLeaf
3%
Persian
3%

Total votes: 203

SpyderNut

Re: ** 2015 FORUM KNIFE POLL - VOTING HAS ENDED **

Post by SpyderNut »

tvenuto wrote:One of our fellow forumites has a site with pictures of all of the Forum knives here.
Hmm. Five of the ten Forum Knives have been Natives. That is interesting...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

ManixFan wrote::)
Hey, :) back at ya. :cool: :spyder:

[weird that the quote function captures the code not the emoticon]
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

2009 then 2013. 4 years in between.. Wouldn't it follow that the next Forum knife might be 2017?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Philo Beddoe wrote:2009 then 2013. 4 years in between.. Wouldn't it follow that the next Forum knife might be 2017?

Not sure how far back you read through the thread, but there is no apparent pattern whatsoever. Seems to be just whenever they can squeeze it in, which we should all appreciate! :spyder:
Going back to Caly.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

JNewell wrote:

Just testing it now too.......hey it worked for me?
The forum software must just like me better. :p ;) :D
Read your prior response and edited accordingly.......original intent was not to offend....but then saw how it might look from your perspective.

I think that we can all agree that the Forum knife is a nice bonus and will arrive when it arrives and it will be whatever Spyderco thinks it should be.

Also that Spyderco is one of the few companies that DOES listen to what their customers want and also encourages customer feedback......which is what these discussions and polling is all about.

Cheers!

P.S. Not sure if I mentioned this before, but SG2, HAP40 or Hitachi XCVII in a dark blue diamond-cut G-10 or Moonglow scaled Caly3.5 sure would be the "bee's knees" of a Forum knife.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Go big or stay home: Tatanka with CF Handles and either 15V, S125V, or Maxamet steel blade :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Top-posting because of the size of the quote...

Strongly agree re: Spyderco. No one else is even close. That's not a fan boy rave, that's a demonstrable fact. The forum knives are a good example, but the Mule series is even better. Look at the time and money that Spyderco devotes to each of these, and the price they're sold at - solely for the love of learning more about steel and letting us share in the experiment and experience.

And the timing comment is right on. If you have been here a while, or prowl around in the archives, it's clear that you could do a great deal worse than simply trusting Sal Glesser. :spyder:
ManixFan wrote:
JNewell wrote:

Just testing it now too.......hey it worked for me?
The forum software must just like me better. :p ;) :D
Read your prior response and edited accordingly.......original intent was not to offend....but then saw how it might look from your perspective.

I think that we can all agree that the Forum knife is a nice bonus and will arrive when it arrives and it will be whatever Spyderco thinks it should be.

Also that Spyderco is one of the few companies that DOES listen to what their customers want and also encourages customer feedback......which is what these discussions and polling is all about.

Cheers!

P.S. Not sure if I mentioned this before, but SG2, HAP40 or Hitachi XCVII in a dark blue diamond-cut G-10 or Moonglow scaled Caly3.5 sure would be the "bee's knees" of a Forum knife.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

SpyderNut wrote:Hmm. Five of the ten Forum Knives have been Natives. That is interesting...

That it is!! Especially when your not a fan of the native......lol :o

I've been hoping for something new for years, luckily I was able to grab the toxic green usn forum endura a few years back and that's my favorite forum knife so far. Really hoping for something different and more unique this time around!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

spyderHS08 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Hmm. Five of the ten Forum Knives have been Natives. That is interesting...

I've been hoping for something new for years, luckily I was able to grab the toxic green usn forum endura a few years back and that's my favorite forum knife so far. Really hoping for something different and more unique this time around!
The USN Endura is an excellent example of what I'd like to see. Love the lime green-on-black configuration. I missed out on that one unfortunately, but I do have the USN Catcherman. (FWIW, I have the Bayou Shooter Endura, which is about half as cool as the USN Endura, but I digress :rolleyes: ). Something different would be most welcome. I don't have anything against the PM2 per se, but there are already so many variations out there it just lacks in the "wow" factor, IMHO.

Dream Forum knife: SE Dodo in M390 or 110V, black DLC blade, with lime-green G-10 handles and a CF spacer. :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

spyderHS08 wrote:

You might get converted? ;) I had no love for the Native, despite our colleague Roman's praises, but bought the Forum Native and was so impressed that I bought the G10 production version and the CF/S110V sprint. :spyder:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

JNewell wrote:You might get converted? ;) I had no love for the Native, despite our colleague Roman's praises, but bought the Forum Native and was so impressed that I bought the G10 production version and the CF/S110V sprint. :spyder:
Totally! I probably would never have bought the Native otherwise, not that it didn't look good, just not one that called to me at all. Now I'm so glad I got it, and it's a great EDC addition. This was also true of the Sage 3 (calendar prize), and it's actually one of my favorite all around knives now.

Clearly, many people KNOW they would like a PM2, but isn't it just as cool to get a knife that you didn't even know you'd like?
springnr

Post by springnr »

tvenuto wrote:
JNewell wrote:You might get converted? ;) I had no love for the Native, despite our colleague Roman's praises, but bought the Forum Native and was so impressed that I bought the G10 production version and the CF/S110V sprint. :spyder:
Totally! I probably would never have bought the Native otherwise, not that it didn't look good, just not one that called to me at all. Now I'm so glad I got it, and it's a great EDC addition. This was also true of the Sage 3 (calendar prize), and it's actually one of my favorite all around knives now.

Clearly, many people KNOW they would like a PM2, but isn't it just as cool to get a knife that you didn't even know you'd like?

+1
I don't see myself purchasing a Pingo unless it was a forum knife,
which then would become a non flipper in multiple ways. ;)
How thoughtful would a forum rescue be.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

spyderHS08 wrote:
Of one more reason to became Native's fan :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote: The USN Endura is an excellent example of what I'd like to see. Love the lime green-on-black configuration.
It looks like that this combination is reserved for USN. Hopefully their next knife will come out soon.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

tvenuto wrote: Clearly, many people KNOW they would like a PM2, but isn't it just as cool to get a knife that you didn't even know you'd like?
Yes! - which is why although I understand that these threads can be a lot of fun and entertainment, just letting Spyderco run with things like this is a great idea, maybe the best idea. :spyder:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

JNewell wrote:
tvenuto wrote: Clearly, many people KNOW they would like a PM2, but isn't it just as cool to get a knife that you didn't even know you'd like?
Yes! - which is why although I understand that these threads can be a lot of fun and entertainment, just letting Spyderco run with things like this is a great idea, maybe the best idea. :spyder:
I would certainly support that notion. I know we wouldn't go wrong with their choice.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:2009 then 2013. 4 years in between.. Wouldn't it follow that the next Forum knife might be 2017?

Not sure how far back you read through the thread, but there is no apparent pattern whatsoever. Seems to be just whenever they can squeeze it in, which we should all appreciate! :spyder:
Actually there IS a pattern..here it is:

2000: 1 Forum knife
2001: 2 Forum knives
2002: 1 Forum knife
2003: 2 Forum knives
2005: 1 Forum knife
2006: 1 Forum knife
2009: 1 Forum knife
2013: 1 Forum knife

The pattern is since the first forum knife back in 2000 there have been less and less and especially for the last 2 the time in between has gotten longer and longer..
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Haha ok well it would be difficult (for me) to write out an equation for that pattern, as I can't recognize one, but I think I see what you're getting at... if trend continues then maybe not until 2018, if the intervals keep increasing!
Last edited by SpeedHoles on Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going back to Caly.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

DougC-3 wrote: Cuscadi's Dr. Jones Tenacious
...Approved! Very distinguished, indeed.
Cooler, if you ask me. It's like a movie where the nerdy girl protagonist that saves the day and wins everyone's heart finally takes off her glasses and you find out hey, she's hot too! Ok maybe that's not the best way to put it. Maybe it's more like going through the drive thru and getting an extra Big Mac. No, that's too fleeting. More like adopting a dog that you didn't even go to the rescue to see but the other one was already taken, so you take her home and find out she's the most loveable creature in the world and the best friend anyone could have. Plus, that other dog can't even bark. How can you be a dog if you can't bark? Pfft. Ok maybe a surprising knife isn't quite that special, but it's still pretty cool.

All that being said, I support the PM2. There can't be a more requested knife in all of Spyderland than a M4 PM2, and how can I not like the idea? Plus, I've already broken one of my commandments and have two PM2's now, so why not throw in another? And hey, at least the Native didn't win again. Seriously, 4 times? It's like the Tom Brady of forum knives. Give someone else a turn!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: The USN Endura is an excellent example of what I'd like to see. Love the lime green-on-black configuration.
It looks like that this combination is reserved for USN. Hopefully their next knife will come out soon.
I believe you are right about the color combo being a USN thing. :( But yes, I hope the USN H1 Ladybug comes out soon!