I will now EDC only SE for 6 months.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: I will now EDC only SE for 6 months.

Post by Evil D »

I need to find out of they can leave about 1.5 inches at the heel of the blade PE and then cut the rest of the blade in serrations and maybe leave a half inch to an inch PE at the tip.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Evil D wrote:I need to find out of they can leave about 1.5 inches at the heel of the blade PE and then cut the rest of the blade in serrations and maybe leave a half inch to an inch PE at the tip.
I have seen a knife with a combo edge with PE at the heel and SE at the tip end. Don't remember the manufacturer or the site I saw it on. I "think" it was advertised as a fishing knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jackknifeh wrote:
Evil D wrote:I need to find out of they can leave about 1.5 inches at the heel of the blade PE and then cut the rest of the blade in serrations and maybe leave a half inch to an inch PE at the tip.
I have seen a knife with a combo edge with PE at the heel and SE at the tip end. Don't remember the manufacturer or the site I saw it on. I "think" it was advertised as a fishing knife.
Not trying to be disagreeable because in some ways I see where you guys are coming from wanting what you speak of>> however after working with my SE 440V Native with about 3/4ths of a inch of plain edge on the tip of the blade is just working out ideal for me. The only gripe I've got so far is that I wish there was a bigger model like the Military that would have that same blade SE to PE ratio.

Because if my SE 440V Native will qualify me to take on this 6 month challenge of EVIL D's then i could go with it. Albeit there will be days I'll use my older C-60, SE Ayoob model. But if I could get my hands on a 440V, SE Military then I'll have it as a companion or back up blade.

Again when it comes to Hawkbills I still maintain that Spyderedge is the only way to go period. Because the very few cutting jobs I find for a plain edged Hawkbill just doesn't even hardly justify EDCing one at all.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Here's a really crude edit of what I'm talking about. One of the biggest drawbacks for me about SE is carving things. You can make fuzz sticks for starting a fire and such very nicely with SE but if you wanna carve a stick to a nice clean point it isn't quite as easy. With something like this you could. Then you'd have your serrations in the middle for whatever you need them for, and still have a fine point for detailing cutting. This to me is the best of both worlds. You could even do slicing with the heel of the blade so long as what you're slicing isn't wider than the PE section is.

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Evil D wrote:Here's a really crude edit of what I'm talking about. One of the biggest drawbacks for me about SE is carving things. You can make fuzz sticks for starting a fire and such very nicely with SE but if you wanna carve a stick to a nice clean point it isn't quite as easy. With something like this you could. Then you'd have your serrations in the middle for whatever you need them for, and still have a fine point for detailing cutting. This to me is the best of both worlds. You could even do slicing with the heel of the blade so long as what you're slicing isn't wider than the PE section is.

How bout this? This may be the best of both worlds. :)

Hehe. Sorry, just looking for another chance to show my new knife. :) I may not use the serrated blade much but I may be carrying a SE for 6 months. :D Something will have to kick it out of my pocket.

Jack
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I find it interesting that they never made a salt version of the Dyad. That knife looks very "fisherman-y". ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:I find it interesting that they never made a salt version of the Dyad. That knife looks very "fisherman-y". ;)
Man no kidding...that has fisherman written all over it, not to mention general outdoorsman.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I find it interesting that they never made a salt version of the Dyad. That knife looks very "fisherman-y". ;)
Man no kidding...that has fisherman written all over it, not to mention general outdoorsman.
Given that the pe would be the dominant blade for most, if it ever happened I think I would rather see them do it with one of the newer nitrogen steels like lc-200n. Meh, I'm fine with my pacific salt for now and according to Sal there's a new larger salt that's already in the works.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Surfingringo wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I plan to become very "fisherman-y" this spring. The knife will be on those trips. It will be fine for any fishing chores except cleaning the fish. The Dyad is way too small for the fish we will be catching and cleaning. :rolleyes: Already telling fish stories and haven't even started fishing yet. :)

We don't plan to do any salt water fishing so I think with a little care VG-10 and the other metal parts of the knife will be fine.

Jack
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

They actually did have one in the works about 2 to 2 1/2 years ago>> And I believe it was Sal himself that said the manufacturing costs were too high at the time. And you're right instinctively because over the years I've talked to a lot of guys in the fishing and boating sectors and many of them love the C-44 Dyad and some of them even used them.

But I agree with your sentiments because an H-1 Dyad just makes perfect sense any way you look at it.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Not a spyderco, but, the victorinox folders like I believe, the sentinel, have serrations from the tip but leave about 3/4ths of an inch of plain edge toward the base of the knife. They look like decent quality but have a left handed linerlock for some reason or another.(?) Very strange if you ask me. Maybe everyone in Switzerland is left handed?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Knivesinedc wrote:Not a spyderco, but, the victorinox folders like I believe, the sentinel, have serrations from the tip but leave about 3/4ths of an inch of plain edge toward the base of the knife. They look like decent quality but have a left handed linerlock for some reason or another.(?) Very strange if you ask me. Maybe everyone in Switzerland is left handed?
You know an interesting point about Victorinox is that their serrations aren't bad at all >> now don't get me wrong because they are not as good as the ones the Great Spyder Factory produces but for the price they give a really good bang for your dollar.

I've always said that Victorinox multi-tools are truly the best out there in my opinion. I want that newest one of theirs really bad. Victorinox does not have quite the top notch quality that Spyderco does but I still respect them and they do give you a great product for a very modest price tag.

But you're right their serrations aren't bad at all. However I don't think that EVIL will allow any serrated blade other than Spyderco for his challenge and I don't blame him a bit, The more I think about it I would really like to see a collaboration between Spyderco and Victorinox>> maybe in the multi-tool arena>> or a sharpening device.
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

Evil D wrote:Image
I'd take one, as long as someone else is sharpening it.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sdedalus83 wrote:
Evil D wrote:Image
I'd take one, as long as someone else is sharpening it.
Wouldn't be hard at all on a sharpmaker, but I guess bench stones are probably out of the question, whereas a typical combo edge you could at least sharpen the PE portion on a bench stone if you wanted. This is probably why you don't see them ground any other way than the typical fashion.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
I'd take one, as long as someone else is sharpening it.[/quote]

Wouldn't be hard at all on a sharpmaker, but I guess bench stones are probably out of the question, whereas a typical combo edge you could at least sharpen the PE portion on a bench stone if you wanted. This is probably why you don't see them ground any other way than the typical fashion.[/quote]

NO!! NO!!! NO!!! That knife would sharpen up great with a set of 701 Profiles I can assure you. I just used my 701 Profiles today to do a thorough, major sharpening job on my 440V, SE Native>> I really abused the Native again this morning and even cut a couple of metal straps with it. However as tough as that 440V SE Native is it didn't take too awful long to get it rockin & rollin again. I even did the Sharpie trick on it which I usually won't do much with Spyderedges >> but I wanted to get those serrations letter perfect and I did just that.

Sure you could sharpen a blade edge with that configuration pictured above with the Sharpmaker. But you can sure detail it a lot better with the 701 Profile kit.

With the sharpening issue of Spyderedges really coming to the forefront especially in this thread it's high time we petitioned the Great Spyder Factory to bring back the 701 Profiles in all 4 grits and I think it would even be cool to have a set in CBN.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

...testing....testing.....1....2.......is this thing on?

Anyone still hanging tough? I'm in it to win it :cool:

Got this little beast a few days ago...been carrying it as my primary EDC. It's going quite well. This thing performs like a knife 3x it's size.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:...testing....testing.....1....2.......is this thing on?

Anyone still hanging tough? I'm in it to win it :cool:

Got this little beast a few days ago...been carrying it as my primary EDC. It's going quite well. This thing performs like a knife 3x it's size.
EVIL I got to be honest with you>> at first I was probably about a "gung-ho" as you first was. Now I have been carrying at least one full Spyderedge per day>> today I was using the old reliable 440V SE Native and it was the main EDC I was using most of the day. But I later did end up breaking down some big taped boxes with my user C-111 Captain and I feel like it should sort of count as an SE because I want a Captain in SE so bad I just can't hardly stand it sometimes and go ahead and use the PE version. But even it is a pleasure to use.

Tomorrow I think I'll go with my stainless handled RESCUE for my Spyderedged first choice. Of if this thread was to catch fire again I might get super radical and pull out the H-1 SE Spyderhawk>> I haven't used it in a week or so for an EDC.

But the thread itself has sort of exhaled here in the past week or so, therefore I want to hear what you and some other Spyderedged Brethren are proactively doing :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

6 months is a long time....but I have plans in the works ;)

Here soon (couple weeks probably) I'm sending something out to get some teeth...then it'll pick back up a bit me thinks :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Been carrying my new D'fly serrated salt for a couple of weeks. I haven't used it for anything so far that it didn't do a good job on. When the edge is as sharp as this one is it doesn't feel like I'm sawing anything. I have always thought using a serrated edge more often would resemble using a small saw instead of a knife blade. Maybe I was wrong. I'll keep using it so I can get a better idea of how they work on multiple tasks.

My new knife and the neck sheath I carry it in.

It's great when fishing because it's always right there. Been carrying a D'fly or Manbug in a neck sheath for quite a while and I love the carry method. Offers the easiest access of any carry option I've tried. The only way easier would be to walk around with a knife in my hand already. Lots of times I drop it under my shirt when in public. But I've forgotten to do that LOTS of times and not gotten one funny look that I know of. EDC knives are pretty normal around here though. Anyway, serrated is good so far.

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great thread and bonus points for sticking to it, David (and others)! :D