Had a great time with my dad yesterday.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Had a great time with my dad yesterday.

Post by Surfingringo »

About a year ago I got my 73 year old father his first Spyderco...a g10 dragonfly. He didn't like it because it looked funny to him. It just didn't fit his idea of what a pocket knife should look like. (Familiar story around here? :rolleyes:) So about six months later I bought him a chaparral which I had engraved with kind of a sentimental message. He loved it because of the engraving and started carrying it. Well, last time I was home I noticed a caly 3 and a Delica had mysteriously appeared in his knife drawer. Hehe...guess you're never too old to get bit. :D

Anyway, I left a catalog with him last time I was there and yesterday when we were speaking by phone he pulled out his catalog and started asking me questions. I pulled out my own catalog and we spent the next 20 minutes saying things like "turn to page 23...what's that second one down?" "Check out the one on page 15 Dad. That one comes in titanium!" Haha. Good stuff!

The end result was an order from knifeworks. A military and a tenacious which he is gifting to a friend. A sharpmaker for another friend. And for himself...he went ahead and nabbed a stepped titanium chaparral. It was a close call between that and the fluted ti native but the Chaparral won out in the end.

Anyway, it was a good time talking with him and sharing a common interest. Felt grateful to still be able to have those kinds of moments with the old man and just thought I would share.
xceptnl

Re: Had a great time with my dad yesterday.

Post by xceptnl »

Lance that's a terrific story. I enjoyed connecting with my grandfather and showing him my modern production traditional slipjoints, but he still asks to see my new knives with the hole in the blade.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

That is a great story! When my dad was still alive, I would always get him the newest Sprint Run Military to add to his collection. He didn't baby them! Ha. I have all of his knives now and they mean the world to me.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

great story. :) I gave my dad my kiwi 4 last week or his birthday.
But i hope he will not be addicted as long as i live at home.. Otherwise he might be destroying my expencive ones when i am not home XD
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

What a wonderful and heartwarming story!
Unfortunately, my dad isn't interested in knives at all.
But my two daughters (10 and 14 years) are, I guess they can identify more Spydies than the average knife afi.
The favorite knife of my younger daughter is a C75 Kiwi with mother of pearl scales and a spyderbug inlay modified by Santa Fe Stoneworks.
Pretty good taste I think... :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Great story Lance, my dad bought me my first knife, wish I still had it and him around,
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nice story Lance, thanks for sharing. Funny enough, I also started my Dad off with a Dfly two years ago (a Salt) for his birthday which he very much appreciates, but he's seemed to have warded off any spyder bite infection. Perhaps a catalog is in order! Treasure the time you have with your Dad, he sounds like a great guy especially since he can appreciate these crazy new-age knives (kids these days...)! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Good story, Lance. My dad shared my enthusiasm for knives but never had a chance to own a Spyderco unfortunately. My brother and I inherited his knife collection (mostly older Bucks, Case, etc.) after he passed. They mean the world to me even if they're not Spydies. ;) FWIW, I got my 67 yr. old father-in-law a G-10 Manbug for Christmas last year. Much to my surprise, he actually carries it quite often and says he really likes it. I'd love to get him a FB Moran for deer hunting. I think he'd really enjoy that.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice story - made me smile. Thanks for sharing, Lance.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing Lance :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I really enjoyed reading this :) I wish I was like that with my dad sometimes... My dad really doesn't enjoy knives, but he respects them as tools, and uses them on occasion. He had a bad experience in his life involving knives, and I wish I could change his thoughts on them. I tried getting him into Spyderco knives, but he refuses to see the difference between his $5 gerber, and my $100+ Para 2. Maybe one day! :)

Matt
MikeWolverine

Post by MikeWolverine »

Wonderful moment, lost my old man at 58 to kidney cancer, would do anything to share more time together!
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

It's kind of bittersweet to read such a story. I lost my father at the age of 0. Oh well right.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
LC Kid

Awesome!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Gringo!

Such a fantastic story Bro! :D

THX for sharing.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Way to pass on the addiction! Last year my dad told me he wanted a folder for cutting bread while hiking, but he wanted me to make the scales. He knew it would have to be Spyderco :D I made blue scales for a serrated Tenacious, and it's now his hiking knife :spyder:
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Thanks for sharing that with us Lance, it's been 31 years since I lost my dad, got a little dust in my eyes reading it. It's the little things in life that can have the biggest impact.

Dan
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Lance,

Sound like he's a young fella, 'bout my age.

These will be some of the best memories you will have. Goodonya!

sal