A LITTLE more on the LITTLE big knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

A LITTLE more on the LITTLE big knife

Post by gull wing »

I've had the Techno a while now, not a constant EDC by any means, but enough to know it better. I will probably keep it because it is just so cute, love the blade shape.

For a beefy knife, the pivot area is not beefy. You have a near 3/16" thick blade with a quite small diameter pivot pin(a little over 1/8") and washers diameter around 1/4". I don't think you should use it as a prybar. :)
With the very strong locklug pressing the blade, I would like a 1/2" or 7/16" dia washer on the non-lock side to support the blade better.

As said, I will most likely keep this knife, but the pivot area could have been better, with little cost.
gull wing

Re: A LITTLE more on the LITTLE big knife

Post by gull wing »

Added 1/2" dia PB washer to the non-lock side. Makes a difference in the action. Blade parks centered now. With the previous washer, I could see daylight between the blade and washer* when closed. It just needed more support with this very strong lock. CRK, Strider, and others put a large washer on the non-lock side.

*-Pivot screw as tight as it would take and still operate.
endgame

Post by endgame »

this knife and the leaf just didnt fit my hands right kinda of squished them together lots of hotspots.and on the leaf the clear g10 was cool but no but yhe way the handle was with no choil ir guard I kept slipping and cutting the insidr of my fingers.not with the techno thats a indistuctable little knife with great bladr steel but I just cant cut allot or a long time with it.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I need some pictures of this washer!

end, what leaf are you talking about?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
endgame

Post by endgame »

the leafstorm
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Techno doesn't operate just how I would want it to and it doesn't feel great in my hand, but that huge chunk of XHP makes me think of how much cutting power it gives me in that small package. That much makes me like it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
grewich

Post by grewich »

I have a techno. I do love the titanium. But it in no way shape or form holds a candle to the G10 dragonfly. The dragonfly is always in my back pocket. Perfect without front of non-nice people.

I prefer the dragonfly mostly because I do not care for wide blades.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Does the blade wiggle when open?
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

No.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I might try a larger washer on the non-lock side. On the lock side maybe a washer with a flat spot to keep it out of the way of the lock bar. This would require it to not spin against the scale. Don't know how to do that. I'm not going to glue a washer to the scale. :) Just thinking. One thing about this knife is far before there is any blade play (when open) when adjusting the pivot the blade doesn't center itself when closed. But I can tighten the screw enough to center the blade it still isn't too tight for smooth, easy operation. I can't say the handle is comfortable to hold. It isn't uncomfortable either. I haven't done any long term (more than a couple minutes) cutting of any tough material. So I haven't felt any hot spots yet. I like and will keep the knife so I can have something this small and strong in the same knife. I already lowered the edge angle. The angle it came with was completely unacceptable IMO for a blade this thick at the edge. I haven't measured it though. I may be surprised. When it was new it was very sharp but the angles were obviously in the higher ranges. Near 20 dps I'd say. This is ok for thinner blades at the edge but on this knife the higher angles resulted in a very thick behind the edge blade. I tried cutting some cardboard. After about 12" I knew the angles on my Techno were higher than I liked. I re-profiled the edge free hand so I don't know the exact angle but I'm guessing about 12 dps. I use a micro bevel on the apex. The blade is just too thick to be a GOOD cutter. For a camp knife or something cutting wood a lot the higher angles on this blade when new would hinder easy cutting I think.

No matter how long we search for the "one knife" that is perfect for EDC I don't think many of use will find it. Given that I like the Techno as is. If I were doing a lot of hard work and it seemed the pivot was a bit weaker than I'd like I might consider drilling the scales and pivot hole in the tang out for a larger pin. Would I decide to go ahead and do it? Dunno. I could screw it up. But for my needs the Techno is 100 times stronger than I need. Not often does my Manbug get strained. :) If I were to do any serious change to the Techno it would be to have the blade reground thinner. OTOH, that would about defeat the purpose of the Techno. The strength of the Techno is STRENGTH IMO. I don't know if the blade needs to be 4.5mm thick. But it is. Seems to have a knife in any extreme in one area we loose the other extreme. Very strong? Not the best slicer. And vice versa. The Techno is definately a Spyderco that is at the extreme in the strength department. So I carry two or more knives. That way I can be prepared for any cutting job. I have used the Techno for a little prying. Prying that I wouldn't use a thinner blade for. I just make sure the pressure is applied to the spine and no side pressure is applied to the edge apex. I don't want to chip the edge.

I think my opinion of the Techno is I love the knife. I trust it to do things I wouldn't use a Stretch for. Another thing I love about the Techno is the titanium handles and high quality stainless blade. I don't think anyone needs to worry about corrosion on this knife. The minimal maintenance would protect this knife. Well, if you work on a salt water fishing boat it may take more care but I think it could do the job. I wonder if Spyderco would make a "salt" knife with titanium scales. From what I understand titanium is as corrosion resistant as FRN. :) Titanium doesn't rust. That's correct isn't it?

If I ever take it apart I may try a larger washer on one side. I have considered making different backspacer. Just to have a different color and for fun. But, I may scratch the titanium trying to get the backspacer finished.

Sorry to get off the pivot strength subject so much.

Jack
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

jackknifeh wrote: No matter how long we search for the "one knife" that is perfect for EDC I don't think many of use will find it. Given that I like the Techno as is. If I were doing a lot of hard work and it seemed the pivot was a bit weaker than I'd like I might consider drilling the scales and pivot hole in the tang out for a larger pin. Would I decide to go ahead and do it? Dunno. I could screw it up. But for my needs the Techno is 100 times stronger than I need. Not often does my Manbug get strained. :) If I were to do any serious change to the Techno it would be to have the blade reground thinner. OTOH, that would about defeat the purpose of the Techno. The strength of the Techno is STRENGTH IMO. I don't know if the blade needs to be 4.5mm thick. But it is. Seems to have a knife in any extreme in one area we loose the other extreme. Very strong? Not the best slicer. And vice versa. The Techno is definately a Spyderco that is at the extreme in the strength department. So I carry two or more knives. That way I can be prepared for any cutting job. I have used the Techno for a little prying. Prying that I wouldn't use a thinner blade for. I just make sure the pressure is applied to the spine and no side pressure is applied to the edge apex. I don't want to chip the edge.

Jack
Simply asking, if you carry 2 knife, and one which doesn't cut well only so you can do some prying with the spine, why not change for something like Peter Atwood Bug out blade? 3v steel. Real tought steel in a format made for prying, with a edge just in case your slicer fail (but nothing like our usual slicer).
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Laethageal wrote:
jackknifeh wrote: No matter how long we search for the "one knife" that is perfect for EDC I don't think many of use will find it. Given that I like the Techno as is. If I were doing a lot of hard work and it seemed the pivot was a bit weaker than I'd like I might consider drilling the scales and pivot hole in the tang out for a larger pin. Would I decide to go ahead and do it? Dunno. I could screw it up. But for my needs the Techno is 100 times stronger than I need. Not often does my Manbug get strained. :) If I were to do any serious change to the Techno it would be to have the blade reground thinner. OTOH, that would about defeat the purpose of the Techno. The strength of the Techno is STRENGTH IMO. I don't know if the blade needs to be 4.5mm thick. But it is. Seems to have a knife in any extreme in one area we loose the other extreme. Very strong? Not the best slicer. And vice versa. The Techno is definately a Spyderco that is at the extreme in the strength department. So I carry two or more knives. That way I can be prepared for any cutting job. I have used the Techno for a little prying. Prying that I wouldn't use a thinner blade for. I just make sure the pressure is applied to the spine and no side pressure is applied to the edge apex. I don't want to chip the edge.

Jack
Simply asking, if you carry 2 knife, and one which doesn't cut well only so you can do some prying with the spine, why not change for something like Peter Atwood Bug out blade? 3v steel. Real tought steel in a format made for prying, with a edge just in case your slicer fail (but nothing like our usual slicer).
Good point. For EDC I almost never need to pry anything. The prying I've done with the Techno has been for opening plastic adhesive 1 gallon buckets on a project I'm working on. So the prying strength required isn't that much. I used the Techno only because it was in my pocket. I would have had to walk almost 10 feet to get something else from the tool box. That's a long walk. :) I did order recently a keychain prybar tool. Similar to the titanium ones I was looking at 2-3 years ago. These were from $40 and up. Too much for that kind of tool for me. But the one I ordered was about $8 I think. Gerber. I'm going to check out the bug out blade you mentioned. If I buy it it'll be your fault. :) I don't know if I will blame you or thank you. :D Hang out while I check out the knife.... Ok I'm back. Thanks for waiting. :) I like the knife but it seems to be unavailable right now. Where I looked anyway. The price is higher than I think I'd pay now. When I was younger and doing more and harder work that would be an excellent tool that I'd use frequently. But now? Not too sure. I do like it though and I'll save the name for the future. It really is a great work tool it looks like. So, if I get one I'll thank you. :)

Jack
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Jack,
I get hot spot in the palm when cutting wood, cardboard no problem. Jack, let me know how you drill that XHP blade, I've never tried anything that thick.

Pic of washer as requested. Factory washer on right, replacement on left.Image[/url]
Last edited by gull wing on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

gull wing wrote:Jack,
I get hot spot in the palm when cutting wood, cardboard no problem. Jack, let me know how you drill that XHP blade, I've never tried anything that thick.
I don't plan to drill the hole or liners at the moment. I was just thinking of what could strengthen the pivot. OTOH, one day I may try it. I'm not sure if my bits will drill the XHP. Not a blade that thick. I have some Ultra Bor Super Premium bits that are harder than normal bits. I enlarged a hole in a straight razor tang with them. But it wasn't near as thick of course.

Jack
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote:If I were to do any serious change to the Techno it would be to have the blade reground thinner.
Something along these lines?

Still nice and stout but slices much nicer.

Ken
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Nice regrind.
Did that to my Southard.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Thanks. Tom does great work. That was actually his very last regrind (though I understand he's now doing a limited number for one other guys knives - can't recall who)

Ken
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:
jackknifeh wrote:If I were to do any serious change to the Techno it would be to have the blade reground thinner.
Something along these lines?

Still nice and stout but slices much nicer.

Ken
Looks good Ken. Is the spine thinner than 4.5mm now or was it left as is?

I got a new DMT coarse stone. I already had the fine and extra-fine stones. I used the coarse stone to flatten my Shapton glass stones. I figure this did a pretty good job of breaking in the new DMT. Of course I needed to use my new stone so I tested it by lowering the angle on my Techno a little more than I already had. I cut some cardboard afterward and it slices better now. Love this knife. I don't think I'll ever get the knife blade re-ground. But you never know. :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Spine is stock (essenentially) It just tapers down from there.

Ken