Spyderco's Specialty Sharpening Tools

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco's Specialty Sharpening Tools

Post by JD Spydo »

You know there just isn't enough said about many of Spyderco's specialty sharpening tools. Just the other night I used my model 307 Slipstone for sharpening my PE Tasman. I was just experimenting with it and I was pleasantly surprised. I've said a ton in the past about Spyderco's discontinued 701 Profiles>> there is more genius design in the 701 Profile than many people realize. I hope they return in more grits.

One of my most used but discontinued Spyderco sharpening tools are the stones from the old Galley V sharpening kit. It's about the only sharpening tool I use on my Dodo model and I've had great luck using it on a couple of recurves. Spyderco makes a tool that can sharpen just about anything you need sharpened. I was amazed at how much I used the 701 Profiles when I was working in a machine shop a few years back.

Spyderco's 302 Benchstones are great. I wish they would make one in diamond. But I do hope that they make them in the new CBN material they are coming out with. So tell us which of Spyderco's specialty sharpening tools you like and why?
farnorthdan

Re: Spyderco's Specialty Sharpening Tools

Post by farnorthdan »

Searched high and low for the 701 Profiles but could only find the fine stone at one vendor, the search continues for the two stone set.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

farnorthdan wrote:Searched high and low for the 701 Profiles but could only find the fine stone at one vendor, the search continues for the two stone set.
This is just more the reason we need Spyderco to bring them back to the main line up and to bring them back in more grit selections as well. The Spyderco 701 Profile sharpening tools are truly a genius design and are great for dozens of metal working applications.

With the Goldenstone not getting as much fanfare as I expected it to get tells me that if we had the 701 Profiles back it would probably encourage more people to get the Goldenstone for their sharpening tool kit. It would help if we had a comprehensive, instructional video that would cover all of the available Spyderco sharpnening tools and would encourage more Spyderco fans to learn to sharpen their own stuff.

Some of these sharpening tools could easily be marketed to the machine tool industry as well as mechanics and other metal working trades.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

JD Spydo wrote:You know there just isn't enough said about many of Spyderco's specialty sharpening tools. Just the other night I used my model 307 Slipstone for sharpening my PE Tasman. I was just experimenting with it and I was pleasantly surprised. I've said a ton in the past about Spyderco's discontinued 701 Profiles>> there is more genius design in the 701 Profile than many people realize. I hope they return in more grits.

One of my most used but discontinued Spyderco sharpening tools are the stones from the old Galley V sharpening kit. It's about the only sharpening tool I use on my Dodo model and I've had great luck using it on a couple of recurves. Spyderco makes a tool that can sharpen just about anything you need sharpened. I was amazed at how much I used the 701 Profiles when I was working in a machine shop a few years back.

Spyderco's 302 Benchstones are great. I wish they would make one in diamond. But I do hope that they make them in the new CBN material they are coming out with. So tell us which of Spyderco's specialty sharpening tools you like and why?
You mean they used to make a tool that could sharpen just about anything! Seems like they are all discontinued/retired! Now we dont have that ability til they bring something back! :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sir_mike wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:You know there just isn't enough said about many of Spyderco's specialty sharpening tools. Just the other night I used my model 307 Slipstone for sharpening my PE Tasman. I was just experimenting with it and I was pleasantly surprised. I've said a ton in the past about Spyderco's discontinued 701 Profiles>> there is more genius design in the 701 Profile than many people realize. I hope they return in more grits.

You mean they used to make a tool that could sharpen just about anything! Seems like they are all discontinued/retired! Now we dont have that ability til they bring something back! :)
You do make a valid point Sir Mike and I do agree with you for the most part. But if we don't sound off and let them know that there is a demand for the 701 Profiles then we probably will never see them again unfortunately. The Goldenstone and Slipstone are both still available from what I've been told. And they are making the new CBN rods available for the 204 Sharpmaker from what I've been told also.

The 701 Profiles and the "Cat's Eye" stones from the old Galley V sharpening kit are both great sharpening tools that need to return to the main line up IMO
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

JD Spydo wrote:
sir_mike wrote:

You do make a valid point Sir Mike and I do agree with you for the most part. But if we don't sound off and let them know that there is a demand for the 701 Profiles then we probably will never see them again unfortunately. The Goldenstone and Slipstone are both still available from what I've been told. And they are making the new CBN rods available for the 204 Sharpmaker from what I've been told also.

The 701 Profiles and the "Cat's Eye" stones from the old Galley V sharpening kit are both great sharpening tools that need to return to the main line up IMO
I totally agree with "sounding off" to let them know about the 701's and dont forget the 702's (half bro of the 701's). I have never used or even seen the Galley V but wish I did cause I would have bought one in a heartbeat.

At this time, I have no use for the Goldenstone or the Slipstone but I havent tried either and based on their price and grit choices, I won't. Regarding the CBN rods, I think they are nice but again not much info on them and when asked "CBN or Diamond", there is not an concise answer so at least for me, I have no idea where these are suppose to fall in their lineup! Do they replace the Diamond ones or just another choice to do the same work? Are they going to be slower or faster than the Diamond ones? I see quite a few comments that the Diamonds are slow for reprofiling so I guess I wouldn't use or buy them for reprofiling either as that is an investment that I will not do til I get some answers. You cant put out stuff without folks knowing what they are for or replacing or what they purpose for them are!

Not trying to be negative, just expressing my opinions for questions I have asked and comments that I have read over and over about some of the items we discuss on this forum! :D
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

What I really enjoy are the 702 Profile Stones in medium and fine. With half the length of the 701 Profile Stones they are better portable in the field and allow all-purpose use. A shame they are history for a long time ... :o
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Peter1960 wrote:What I really enjoy are the 702 Profile Stones in medium and fine. With half the length of the 701 Profile Stones they are better portable in the field and allow all-purpose use. A shame they are history for a long time ... :o
You could cut a set of 701's in half and end up with two 702 sets! LOL Yes, they were great for being portable and multiple uses! :)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

sir_mike wrote:You could cut a set of 701's in half and end up with two 702 sets!
Is that a joke? Or can you tell me how to cut a ceramic rod properly ? I'm really interested, as I have a broken ultra fine rod from the sharpmaker rods and am curious to learn how to do that.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Peter1960 wrote:
sir_mike wrote:You could cut a set of 701's in half and end up with two 702 sets!
Is that a joke? Or can you tell me how to cut a ceramic rod properly ? I'm really interested, as I have a broken ultra fine rod from the sharpmaker rods and am curious to learn how to do that.
It was meant as a joke but I dont see why someone couldnt do it. Maybe with a cutoff wheel, which is a real thin wheel or something like a tile cutter setup. Not sure but I am sure someone here or another forum would know. :)
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Peter1960 wrote:
I have used my Foredom tool (think Dremel on steroids) with reinforced cutting wheels to do it and have wrapped a rod up and used my grinder to clean up a jagged end.
Trout Hound

Post by Trout Hound »

I would think you would need a diamond blade to cut them, at least to do it efficiently. Those ceramic rods are HARD, and a they would probably just eat up most steel cutting blades. Even if you got it to cut through, you would probably lose a lot of steel from the blade. I think the ceramic is something like 90 Rw.
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Trout Hound wrote:I would think you would need a diamond blade to cut them, at least to do it efficiently. Those ceramic rods are HARD, and a they would probably just eat up most steel cutting blades. Even if you got it to cut through, you would probably lose a lot of steel from the blade. I think the ceramic is something like 90 Rw.
Actually, the reinforced abrasive cutting discs work quite well as long as you go slow. And also I recommend safety glasses and a dust mask, no way do I want that abrasive stuff in my lungs.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Peter1960 wrote:What I really enjoy are the 702 Profile Stones in medium and fine. With half the length of the 701 Profile Stones they are better portable in the field and allow all-purpose use. A shame they are history for a long time ... :o
The Spyderco 702 Profiles have been discontinued since about 2006 or thereabout. The 702 Profiles were exactly half the size in length of the 701 Profiles. I've always been curious as to why Spyderco discontinued them. Because I always thought that the shorter 702 stones had a lot of applications where they would have been ideal. They would be especially handy in machine tool applications.

I still have a set of them but rarely ever use them. The 701 PRofiles do a large percentage of what I need a ceramic file for.

Again those "Cat's Eye" stones out of the older, discontinued Spyderco Galley V sharpening kit are just exceptionally good sharpening stones for the Dodo model as well as plain edged Hawkbills and recurves.

I also agree with most of you about the Goldenstone only available in one grit is just not enough to really get any demanding jobs done IMO. To me it's pretty much a "touch up or tune up" tool for an edge that's already reprofiled. Also the fact that there is no viable information on the Goldenstone released as of yet. It's hard for me to figure out what the designer had in mind when he designed it. I'm sure it's a great overall tool with huge potential but we need more info and more grits IMO.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I really miss my Galley V as well, JD. Wish I hadn't accidentally left it bolted to my workbench at my old house. It wasn't even listed as conveying with the house!

Another one I've been wondering about is the 306UF Bench Stone. This is a 3"x8" stone that is basically a big brother to the 302 series. It appears that this stone is only available in UF grit. Is this correct? I'd really like to get the 306 in Medium and Fine grits as well - these are absolutely fantastic for sharpening tools in my workshop (e.g., plane irons, planer knives, chisels).

Anyone else have a 306?

TedP

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

phillipsted wrote:I really miss my Galley V as well, JD. Wish I hadn't accidentally left it bolted to my workbench at my old house. It wasn't even listed as conveying with the house!

Another one I've been wondering about is the 306UF Bench Stone. This is a 3"x8" stone that is basically a big brother to the 302 series. It appears that this stone is only available in UF grit. Is this correct? I'd really like to get the 306 in Medium and Fine grits as well - these are absolutely fantastic for sharpening tools in my workshop (e.g., plane irons, planer knives, chisels).

Anyone else have a 306?

TedP

I purchased the 302 because I could get all 3 stones the same size. Had the 306 versions been available I may have purchased them instead. I do however like the hard case of the 302 better.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:I really miss my Galley V as well, JD. Wish I hadn't accidentally left it bolted to my workbench at my old house. It wasn't even listed as conveying with the house!

Another one I've been wondering about is the 306UF Bench Stone. This is a 3"x8" stone that is basically a big brother to the 302 series. It appears that this stone is only available in UF grit. Is this correct?
Well Brother fortunately I still have my old Galley V sharpening kit along with about 5 extra stones that I got when they discontinued it. And I'm hoping that they will make them available again and hopefully in more grits as well. The "Cat's Eye" stones that came with the Spyderco Galley V kit were probably one of Spyderco's best kept factory secrets. They truly were hidden out in plain view but very few people ever checked them out for some extremely strange reaason :confused: I find the Galley V, Cat's Eye stones are truly the best sharpening tool for my Dodo model in particular. They also work great for PE Hawkbills and Recurve blades.

I think you're right about the 306 stone only being available in ultra-fine grit. I can't understand either why they come out with a great new sharpening stone and not making them available in more than one grit :confused: Why they only made the Goldenstone in one grit in a mystery to me. I've yet to get the 306 UF stone but it is on my list to get before the year is up. But I did get the 307 Slipstone and I've found many jobs it's good for. But again it's only available in one grit ( fine). I just don't get it :confused:
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Seems like they have been doing a few one grit wonders! :) Seems strange to me too!

I never was lucky enough to get ahold of a Galley V setup so i guess I should be grateful to have a 701 set. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
I purchased the 302 because I could get all 3 stones the same size. Had the 306 versions been available I may have purchased them instead. I do however like the hard case of the 302 better.
I've got 2 sets of the Spyderco 302 Benchstones I've aquired and I dearly love those Benchstones. I also like the box that the factory put them in with the rubber feet which makes them easier to work with and it makes them more portable as well. The 302 Benchstones have been around for quite some time and they are truly time tested. To me it would make sense for Spyderco to do all of their sharpening stones/tools in at least as many grits as they do their 302 stones.

As far as the 306 Ultra-Fine stones goes that's also had me baffled as to why they only made that one in Ultra-Fine :confused: It's one of the few Spyderco sharpening tools I don't presently own but I do have plans on obtaining one soon. I'm sure that the extra larger size will come in handy for bigger knives and for woodworking tools as well.

Even if they never brought back the Galley V kit with all the bells and whistles included to me it would be great just to see those stones offered again. Those "Cat's Eye" stones can do a lot of finish work in curved edged tools that few other sharpening stones can IMO.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

JD Spydo wrote:As far as the 306 Ultra-Fine stones goes that's also had me baffled as to why they only made that one in Ultra-Fine
The ceramics work very well for setting the final micro-bevels, for general steel removal other abrasives are generally easier to use as they are simply much faster and don't have loading issues. A common procedure is to for example use waterstones to set a bevel and then set the final with the UF ceramic and it does very well there. It is often used by wood workers and straight razor users for example.