Pricing...huh?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nirvanero

Re: Pricing...huh?

Post by nirvanero »

The fact that the Military Fluted Titanium is cheaper than the Bowie makes me wonder which scales are the most time-consuming to produce, but I know which ones draw my attention. At this point I'm a little more interested in the Rubicon than the Bowie, but before this flipper gets released is just speculation. Maybe the Bowie will get a price reduction as the Chaparral stepped Ti?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I think most higher end production models see a slight price reduction after a while. Even the highly popular Southard could be found for $20-30 less once the initial frenzy died down. I have no doubt that someone will find the Bowie NIB for $250 before the year is out.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Questioning pricing is fair (Spyderco isn't tyranical). That said, pricing is something that is shared if the company feels the need/desire to do so. One also has to consider why some knives are so "cheap". The PM2 for many years even with the modified margin was a screaming deal and all people asked was, "what's the problem with production?!?". Why is a Delica Superblue FRN comparatively a great value? Spyderco could have increased the price past its normal margins and made more money easily. How about the forum knives and 110v Manix2?

It's fine to ask questions. If it's a matter of trust though I would carefully look at the situation prior to stressing yourself. This biz has been around almost as long as I've been alive and they really don't want to marr their reputation or close their doors.

Burning a reputation to make a little more money on a collab would be foolish. I bet they could raise the price of Ladybugs by $3 and make 100 times that or even another method of subterfuge. Rather than getting upset I'll just look at my budget, remember it's for me (and most) another toy, and decide to buy or not. Spyderco isn't profiting on medicinal goods or hiding drugs in my ground beef.

Ps: Geez Strong-Dog. You always this upset? Start the aspirin diet early bud...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Don't really know what there is to question. Sal has stated in the past that they have a mark up percentage they go by. That being said it would mean that the Bowie is costing Spyderco more than the K2 to build and bring to market. Unless I got it wrong. :)

Joe
Studey

Post by Studey »

Blerv wrote:Questioning pricing is fair (Spyderco isn't tyranical). That said, pricing is something that is shared if the company feels the need/desire to do so. One also has to consider why some knives are so "cheap". The PM2 for many years even with the modified margin was a screaming deal and all people asked was, "what's the problem with production?!?". Why is a Delica Superblue FRN comparatively a great value? Spyderco could have increased the price past its normal margins and made more money easily. How about the forum knives and 110v Manix2?

It's fine to ask questions. If it's a matter of trust though I would carefully look at the situation prior to stressing yourself. This biz has been around almost as long as I've been alive and they really don't want to marr their reputation or close their doors.

Burning a reputation to make a little more money on a collab would be foolish. I bet they could raise the price of Ladybugs by $3 and make 100 times that or even another method of subterfuge. Rather than getting upset I'll just look at my budget, remember it's for me (and most) another toy, and decide to buy or not. Spyderco isn't profiting on medicinal goods or hiding drugs in my ground beef.

That's basically what I was trying to get at. Rather than, "Geez, why is the Bowie so much more expensive than the K2?", I would think people would be more along the lines of, "Wow! By skipping a few finishing steps, we can get a massive 10V Ti framelock for way cheaper than other, smaller Ti framelocks!"
Studey

Post by Studey »

The Mastiff wrote:Don't really know what there is to question. Sal has stated in the past that they have a mark up percentage they go by. That being said it would mean that the Bowie is costing Spyderco more than the K2 to build and bring to market. Unless I got it wrong. :)

Joe
I think that sums it up! And posters have listed some of the reasons. :)
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Blerv wrote:Questioning pricing is fair (Spyderco isn't tyranical). That said, pricing is something that is shared if the company feels the need/desire to do so. One also has to consider why some knives are so "cheap". The PM2 for many years even with the modified margin was a screaming deal and all people asked was, "what's the problem with production?!?". Why is a Delica Superblue FRN comparatively a great value? Spyderco could have increased the price past its normal margins and made more money easily. How about the forum knives and 110v Manix2?

LOL. What exactly am I upset about? I questioned the Bowie's pricing, get over it.

I'm a big Spyderco fan, and therefor if I have extra time I go on the forums to discuss knives. If you think anything in this thread has upset me, I strongly suggest you shift your paradigm.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Strong-Dog wrote:LOL. What exactly am I upset about? I questioned the Bowie's pricing, get over it.

I'm a big Spyderco fan, and therefor if I have extra time I go on the forums to discuss knives. If you think anything in this thread has upset me, I strongly suggest you shift your paradigm.
Sorry, my sarcasm was too subtle.

Just let us know when the boycott ends or if you find any other switched MSRP's.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Blerv wrote:
Strong-Dog wrote:LOL. What exactly am I upset about? I questioned the Bowie's pricing, get over it.

Just let us know when the boycott ends or if you find any other switched MSRP's.
*EDITED* - Unnecessary. Insulting other members will not be tolerated.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

The Mastiff wrote:Don't really know what there is to question. Sal has stated in the past that they have a mark up percentage they go by. That being said it would mean that the Bowie is costing Spyderco more than the K2 to build and bring to market. Unless I got it wrong. :)

Joe
Well said. It would be academically interesting to understand where the extra cost is incurred on the bowie, but I think from comments here so far it is most likely scale contouring?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They just put a bunch of prices in a hat and draw them out. Totally random, deal with it. Is it fair? No. Is it a conspiracy? No.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Strong-Dog wrote:
Blerv wrote:

*EDITED*
None. The fact he disagrees with you doesn't make him a fanboy. Slinging insults isnt contributing anything to this discussion.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I was thinking about pricing recently too in regard to the dollar's strength against the Yen and other currencies. Can't wait for prices to fall next year...not! :)
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I haven't taken the time to read the entire thread, so if I am repeating someone else I apologize. Having drilled and ground titanium,I would say the price difference is easily due to the number of holes that need to be drilled in the Slyz Bowie (2 extra plus the cost of fasteners and spacers) combined with the fact that the scales are contoured. Titanium is a difficult material to machine and wears out bits extremely quickly.

Grizz
Studey

Post by Studey »

gdwtvb wrote:I haven't taken the time to read the entire thread, so if I am repeating someone else I apologize. Having drilled and ground titanium,I would say the price difference is easily due to the number of holes that need to be drilled in the Slyz Bowie (2 extra plus the cost of fasteners and spacers) combined with the fact that the scales are contoured. Titanium is a difficult material to machine and wears out bits extremely quickly.

Grizz
I have to wonder if any of the people who complain about how much a knife costs (not just this one) have ever fabricated a product, start to finish, for sale? And I'm talking quality product. I know when I started doing a little bit of knife modifications, it gave me a whole new appreciation for the work that went into it, and what I'd be willing to charge. Without that experience, it's difficult to appreciate just how much work some things are. Like you said, Ti is hard to work with and hard on bits and abrasives.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Strong-Dog wrote:
Blerv wrote:

Can't tell if butthurt, fanboy, or butthurt fanboy...
The argument was stupid to start with. Congratulations on taking it to a new low. Fortunately, that only reflects on one of you.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Gerard Breuker wrote:I remember from a discussion during an Amsterdam meet that contouring handles can increase the price significantly.
Not sure if it is the only reason for difference in price between these models but it could very well be.
It is also at least one of the reasons some other models are relatively more expensive then would be expected based on materials alone.

Spyderco could of course have split the difference by letting buyers of the K2 pay for contouring the handles of the Bowie but it is well known the company has been suffering from integrity for decades and is not likely to recover any time soon.
It took reading that twice to make sure that (I think) I understand your point. ;) Yes, Spyderco does suffer from the condition sometimes referred to as "integrity" and doesn't seem likely to get off that kick while current management owns and runs the shop. :D :spyder:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I thought only large corporations could experience a paradigm shift...and even then, only if they really focused on their core competencies while providing client centric solutions.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

JNewell wrote:
Strong-Dog wrote:
Blerv wrote:

The argument was stupid to start with. Congratulations on taking it to a new low. Fortunately, that only reflects on one of you.
...and this thread has degraded to insults. All of that typing about folks getting along for nothing.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

JNewell wrote:
Strong-Dog wrote:
Blerv wrote:

Well, its a good thing I couldn't care less about what any of you think of me then, right? There was no argument in the first place. People got butthurt because I questioned Spyderco's pricing on the Bowie. I only stated my opinion and what I was going to do.