Storage ideas for Spyderco's?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DJD

Storage ideas for Spyderco's?

Post by DJD »

Hello,
New member here and fairly new to Spyderco knives. Just curious how some of you store your knives? In a safe? Stored in some sort of knife storage "belt"? Any ideas would be appreciated. :)
mikeh99

Re: Storage ideas for Spyderco's?

Post by mikeh99 »

Hi DJD and welcome. Since I do not treat my Spydies as the holy grail but actually use them in a haphazard rotation they live on my desk to play with or in a slim desk draw. Of course that does not included the ones in present rotation.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I use my knives, but i like having them organized. I keep this high and out of reach of my kids. Works well. Only problem is that it is full and then some. I need another one.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I've got a 18 knife Spydie Pak hanging from the wall in my living room with all my favorites in there. Functional art! :D
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I have a "knife roll" that is pretty nice. It holds them out of the way, and pretty condensed for my ~30 spydie folders. It claims to hold 60 knives, but like gun safes, I think that is a pretty big stretch.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

chuckd wrote:I have a "knife roll" that is pretty nice. It holds them out of the way, and pretty condensed for my ~30 spydie folders. It claims to hold 60 knives, but like gun safes, I think that is a pretty big stretch.
Haha yeah. "Stores 10 rifles". As long as your rifles don't have scopes, are .22's, and like to touch/scratch.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

Re: Storage ideas for Spyderco's?ua

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Look into pelican cases if you want something extremely high quality and maybe a little overkill. There are some good videos on YouTube of some pelican cases set up for knives.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I know it was more expensive than some of the other more commonly available storage options, but I like the rugged and portable nature of the Seahorse (pelican, etc.) case.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
remnar

Post by remnar »

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Large Spyderpac, but I need to get another pretty soon. I'm also contemplating making myself a "Tree"-like display piece to go on my desk out of some steel we have around here, and maybe some paracord. If I can do it well enough I'll probably make a second and do it as a give-away. I'm still brainstorming design ideas so it might be a little while, but I do keep about 10 freshly sharpened Spydies on my desk ready to go and it would be a more neat and practical way of storing them there.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Large Spyderpac, but I need to get another pretty soon. I'm also contemplating making myself a "Tree"-like display piece to go on my desk out of some steel we have around here, and maybe some paracord. If I can do it well enough I'll probably make a second and do it as a give-away. I'm still brainstorming design ideas so it might be a little while, but I do keep about 10 freshly sharpened Spydies on my desk ready to go and it would be a more neat and practical way of storing them there.

Just noticed that Ayn Rand quote ;)
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really prefer to keep mine in their boxes.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Yeah I keep mine in their original boxes as well because the boxes are about as important to some collectors as the knife. Then I have them in a fire proof Gun safe with dehumidifiers inside plus a small desicant pack like the ones you find in pill bottles in each box with the knife
DJD

Post by DJD »

Thank you very much for the replies and ideas. I was thinking along the same lines as the replies on the thread. My collection is growing each week/month so I wanted to think over as many ideas as possible and start in one good direction for storage. Heck maybe two!

I do have a safe and I keep the knives in there or on top that I'm not using that day. I kept all the boxes and the idea of storing them in the original box and safe is a good idea. Where do you get those little desicant packs? I can see storing the ones I don't use much that way. I usually have two on me or rotate between them and those can be in a knife roll...in the safe.

Being new to collecting knives and to Spyderco can anyone suggest a good place to get items like a knife roll? I shop blade HQ, Amazon and EBay already and am wary of sellers (I try and research them before I buy on eBay).
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Strong-Dog wrote:
She's such a great author...and that quote is probably my favourite of hers.

---> Branden
Corvid1

Post by Corvid1 »

I store my modest collection of Spyderco knives in a Pelican case, albeit a considerably smaller Pelican case than the one shown above. The desiccant packets are important and can be purchased from shooters supply stores, camera shops and online (Amazon)

Although I haven't sold any of my knives, I do save the boxes along with any paperwork in a plastic container with a removable lid. I too, used to store my knives in their respective boxes, until some of the cardboard started deteorating from frequent opening & closing.

Tim
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I use the pelican case system as well. I also save boxes in one of those plastic storage boxes.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

3rdGenRigger wrote:
Strong-Dog wrote:
She's such a great author...and that quote is probably my favourite of hers.
Dangit Strong-Dog. I was re-reading the original post like 10 times and was like "I don't see the Ayn Rand quote anywhere here?!".

Sad part is I have read it in 3GR's signature prior to this and just had a brain fart today.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Dangit Strong-Dog. I was re-reading the original post like 10 times and was like "I don't see the Ayn Rand quote anywhere here?!".

Sad part is I have read it in 3GR's signature prior to this and just had a brain fart today.
Lol...I think The Fountainhead is the best book I've ever read. Atlas Shrugged is also a phenomenal read. I'll probably rotate in a few quotes here and there from other authors or inspirational people (I have more knives than will fit in my sig now unless I roll with the C** codes), but I like this one enough to leave it be for a while.

---> Branden
swedishgrunt

Post by swedishgrunt »

hello.
i use a standard billy bookcase from IKEA. its quite cheap and works ok.
got a new one on the way since the one i got is rather full.

some (bad) pics for inspiration.