Paramilitary 2 Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I think the Stainless Police would be a good candidate for uh, 'Saltification'.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ManixFan wrote:I'm not a steel expert but I do know that H-1 is a work hardened steel. Are you saying that a flat ground SE blade will not be as hard as required for edge retention as compared to a hollow ground SE blade? Is this what makes it a "deal breaker"?
No, although I have no way of knowing that would not also be true. My comment was based on Sal having repeatedly stated that full flat grinding H-1 in a production environment is not practical. When someone suggested an H-1 Mule with a full flat grind like all the other Mules, his response was that the only way that could happen would be for Spyderco to have them built in Japan with hollow ground blades and then send them to someone like Tom Krein to be individually reground to full flat before selling them, something that few would be willing to pay for.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Once more for the search impaired.

H-1 hardens as it is ground. Flat grinds are done one side at a time on a production line. Once the first side is ground, the blade has gotten hard enough to cause problems trying to grind the other side, such as heat buildup warping the blade or just abrasive depletion. Hollow grinding is done on both sides at once, so the blade hardens evenly.

Custom makers can take the time required to flat grind H-1 by alternating sides, taking a little off each side at a time until the blade is done, pausing to cool it frequently. I would guess that process takes about ten times as long as hollow grinding between two wheels, and it may be more than that. Increasing the labor cost of producing the blades by an order of magnitude will either result in a very expensive knife or a bankrupt maker.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That and having a hrc of like 66-68 at the spine makes for a fragile tool of the less than empathetic. Not that it's even possible to have H1 in a Para2...but I've heard of people snapping tips with S30v.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

yablanowitz wrote:Once more for the search impaired.
I appreciate the information that you've provided but don't believe that your well written synopsis of the issue with FFG H-1 and further analysis would have readily succumbed to easily constructed search terms. Everything is obvious once you know the answer. Thank you for providing an answer that further expands my limited knowledge of knife production. :)

I wonder if LC200-N has the same limitations as H-1 since the Tusk looks like it is also hollow ground.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

ManixFan wrote:I appreciate the information that you've provided but don't believe that your well written synopsis of the issue with FFG H-1 and further analysis would have readily succumbed to easily constructed search terms. Everything is obvious once you know the answer. Thank you for providing an answer that further expands my limited knowledge of knife production. :)

I wonder if LC200-N has the same limitations as H-1 since the Tusk looks like it is also hollow ground.
I doubt it.

If it is anything like other Nitrogen containing steels such as Bohler N680, Vanax 35, Sandvik 14C28N or ERA Steel Nitrobe 77 it can be flat ground without issue.

If I remember correctly, Sal once hinted at maybe doing a Mule in LC200N.

Nitrogen containing steels are not new, H-1 is just a completely different animal.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

yablanowitz wrote:
H-1 hardens as it is ground. Flat grinds are done one side at a time on a production line. Once the first side is ground, the blade has gotten hard enough to cause problems trying to grind the other side, such as heat buildup warping the blade or just abrasive depletion.
All that means is that they need a more friable abrasive, have to adjust the speed/load, use a different coolant or some combination of all three. These same problems are commonly reported with lots of materials, work hardening when drilling handles for example comes up constantly and the solution isn't to stop drilling the handles it is to adjust speed, change bits, use a different coolant, adjust loads, etc. .

Again, I have flat ground H1, it isn't impossible or even difficult compared to many other steels being flat ground you just need to adjust your methods accordingly. If you think H1 is problematic, then try grinding Ti as you would steel and watch what happens - again it can be done, people fully flat grind Ti - but you can't do it the same as steel.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If they made a Salt PM they would need to make the liners and other metal parts out of the same metal, on something similar, or what is the point? They could use N680 as it is very corrosion resistant, as I happen to know from experience, and holds an edge okay (don't think S30V edge holding!), about like AUS8A, it seems to me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

This biggest problem it would have with a pm2 "salt" would be fish guts and scales clogging the liners and lock. Of course, the lock part can be a problem with my pacific salt too. Sal has mentioned that they are working on a new larger salt knife (with a 4 3/4 inch blade I believe). I can't wait to see this one. I have no idea what kind of lock they are looking to use but there was some talk of using unlined g10. Honestly, this knife might end up being as close to a "grail" as it gets for me. :)
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Surfingringo wrote:This biggest problem it would have with a pm2 "salt" would be fish guts and scales clogging the liners and lock. Of course, the lock part can be a problem with my pacific salt too. Sal has mentioned that they are working on a new larger salt knife (with a 4 3/4 inch blade I believe). I can't wait to see this one. I have no idea what kind of lock they are looking to use but there was some talk of using unlined g10. Honestly, this knife might end up being as close to a "grail" as it gets for me. :)
I had heard that the Aqua Salt was going to be re-released but what you've said is completely new to me. I look forward to getting into the Salt series and am just waiting for some of the new releases that have been rumoured such as the SE black bladed Pacific Salt and the re-release of the Aqua Salt. But the knife you describe sounds like a huge winner and would definitely get a serious look (and probably purchase) from me. :)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D