Colored DLC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Ned wrote:+1, none for me thank you. I will however take colorful handles, I really like yellow and especially blue!
Yup, and orange ones. :D
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

A couple of months ago somebody posted a pic of a stretch with a strange light combination, probably accidental, that gave both the handle and blade a really rich, saturated, golden yellow color. I've never thought I'd be interested in that sort of thing, but it was so striking looking I'm sure if one like that really existed, they would surely sell. One thing I've learned from my Spyderco experience is that my likes and dislikes are in constant flux, usually in the direction of liking what I thought I didn't like before. I'm afraid to sell anything because next week I may be crazy about it :eek: :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

IonBond, the company that does DLC coatings, also offers a zirconium carbonitride that is very durable and milspec flat dark earth colored.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I've seen metal handles that have been anodized multiple times in different colors to mimic copper patina. Would be interesting to see a similar color in a blade coating.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:You could ask nutn to do another run but you'd have to pay through the nose.... :D

The company that did those, still does individual duracoat and ceracoat jobs on knives. I believe they are priced around $100 plus shipping.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If those spray on coatings held up near as well as DLC I wouldn't have made this thread ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

Officer Gigglez wrote:I've been prowling the inter webs looking at Esee's, and I'm slowly inching towards buying one. Just haven't decided which model yet.
I have the 3-mil. I like it. Nice and thin. The coating is not nearly as durable as dlc, so I stripped mine.
tomd1107

Post by tomd1107 »

Hinderer does an FDE (Flat Dark Earth) and Black DLC. So its def possible
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:You could ask nutn to do another run but you'd have to pay through the nose.... :D

That's pretty badass. I love Nutn. He is a good guy with a boat load of knowledge. TNP has turned into my Saturday morning toons.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Spartan Blades offers a "meteorite grey" coating that is done in Zirconium Nitride. ZrN is also used for some machining tools to improve corrosion resistance and add lubricity, but in those applications it has a pale gold color.

So that is a possibility.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe