Explain your screen name

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

"noseoil" is what we used for bidding certain jobs to certain types of clients, when I was a cabinetmaker in a past life. I figured that the rarest type of finish was a hand-rubbed noseoil finish, because it would tale extra time and effort to get enough of this stuff to do a table top, or even a whole kitchen. Hence, the noseoil factor in bidding was born. My alter-ego is "Quido Fartori, noseoil maker" and Quido is the guy at work who can have a bit of a temper & be cantankerous to deal with in the wrong situation. Quido worked at Mama Luigi's noseoil factory in Italy, and drank copious amounts of olive oil & ate frozen Crisco sandwiches at lunch time.

The rarest noseoil is Blond Armenian noseoil, because there are so few blond Armenians on the planet now.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Reminds me of a Sgt I new in the Air Force. Name was Skudalski and he always said "Don't call me Ski!". We ended up calling him Skud.
The army was the same about names. People didn't really try. They would just say, " Hey Alphabet", and look around for others who appreciated their clever comments. Some would say " Joe-Mama" and feel really clever.

I got plenty of "polak" jokes. Grew up with them in fact. How many "Polaks" does it take to screw in a lightbulb. Stuff like that. It's sort of Ironic as the Polsh side of the family was the very high IQ side. I have several who are professors in mathematics at various universities around the world. My grandfather who emigrated here from Vilnus was very intelligent. Spoke 7 languages, smart as heck, but he killed a guy and had to leave. :) Despite his education he ended up dying of Black lung/Anthricitosis ( and alcoholism)working in a coal mine in PA. Don't know the mine name but it was in Ashley PA. I used to go there as a kid and the mines and mountain size slag piles were on fire. The whole town smelled of sulfer. :)

Nose Oil, Blonde Armenian huh? So if I could find one is there a market for him ( and his organs like Kidneys, liver, etc?) Just curious from a purely scientific point of view you know. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Spyder Edges are forever.....=)

araneae

Post by araneae »

Araneae is the Latin name for the order of the true spiders. I am a biologist so to me it makes sense as a Spyderco lover to pick this name.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

My name is derived from the latin fenestra (window) - it means to throw something out of a window, also used in politics as a swift dismissal of a person in office. I like the word and think it's a good metaphor for dealing with obstacles in one's life.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Isn't "sal" salt in latin or spanish?
Si. En Espanol.

Latin is Salis. French is Sel.. Italian is sale.. Guess who just googled that to be sure? ;)
-
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The Mastiff wrote: If I ask Finn a question like "what medicine do you want"? he will answer by looking to where that medicine is kept, than look back at me. I then confirm "do you want your Hip pain medicine?" He will confirm yes by licking his chops, or do nothing if the answer is no. If no, I go on to the next medicine, like, "do you want some tummy medicine?" Than I get the "yes" answer when it's correct.
Our dog, Anya, has been with my fiancee since being a pup with parvo about 8 years ago.. (a kind of mix, about 70 lbs, long reddish brown fur, flagged tail, wrinkly face, big chest, a bit like a mix between a Pit and a light Irish setter or similar, tough to tell) She is sweet as could be and appears to have a bit of a Tourette Syndrome/OCD type condition in that she scratches and drinks water compulsively. Having TS myself I think helped me bond with her and I've helped her get to where her fur is in full and while she still scratches it is less destructive and I think her quality of life is far better. She is extremely observant and listens well. She mostly just hangs around the house, but with my influence got into being a bit more playful (she is very gentle, and I think a bit less nervous about things with my influence). I sat her down and talked to her like a person 2 or 3 times earlier this year and said that if she needed me to just bark (made a barking type sound) - she immediately started barking when she wanted to come out of the bedroom (we kept the cats out) or me to come in and give her some quality time. It's just so cool how empathetic and intelligent dogs can be. We are keeping my SIL's Deagle (dachshund beagle) and she is 13 and very energetic and healthy backwise.. She did not get much attention with the small pack of dogs her old owner had and she gets a bit needy but I think it's from lack of attention she wants to get all she can. She is still finding her niche here but is healthy and I think happier with a little less stress/competition.
-
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Way back when, over the gravity well and in days of yore- I needed an e-mail adress for university assignments.

I wanted Headcase. That was taken.
I wanted Demon Knight (My favourite Tales From The Crypt movie). That was taken.
I took the first half of one and glued it the second half of the other.....That wasn't taken.
Thus every forum I've ever joined I've used the same name for the sake of consistency.

It's thus essentially meaningless....Though it could be worse: Xbox randomly assigned me 'LeakproofWizard' as my screen name, which sounds like a make of adult sanitary ware :(
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jalcon wrote:Jalcon was my name on video game for PC called Diablo II.
I always used Dinpala in D2, so much so that the guys who networked with me called that. I always used the paladin character too.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Our dog, Anya, has been with my fiancee since being a pup with parvo about 8 years ago.. (a kind of mix, about 70 lbs, long reddish brown fur, flagged tail, wrinkly face, big chest, a bit like a mix between a Pit and a light Irish setter or similar, tough to tell) She is sweet as could be and appears to have a bit of a Tourette Syndrome/OCD type condition in that she scratches and drinks water compulsively. Having TS myself I think helped me bond with her and I've helped her get to where her fur is in full and while she still scratches it is less destructive and I think her quality of life is far better. She is extremely observant and listens well. She mostly just hangs around the house, but with my influence got into being a bit more playful (she is very gentle, and I think a bit less nervous about things with my influence). I sat her down and talked to her like a person 2 or 3 times earlier this year and said that if she needed me to just bark (made a barking type sound) - she immediately started barking when she wanted to come out of the bedroom (we kept the cats out) or me to come in and give her some quality time. It's just so cool how empathetic and intelligent dogs can be. We are keeping my SIL's Deagle (dachshund beagle) and she is 13 and very energetic and healthy backwise.. She did not get much attention with the small pack of dogs her old owner had and she gets a bit needy but I think it's from lack of attention she wants to get all she can. She is still finding her niche here but is healthy and I think happier with a little less stress/competition.
I had a dog like that about water. Especially if we would put fresh water down she would have to get a drink no matter what. Dogs are individuals, no question. A recent TV show I was watching stated dogs could have the intelligence of a 3 -5 year old child. I have to agree, but think it's an average. I've seen dogs pretty dumb, and some smart as can be, like Finny. Brain size does matter IMO. The tiny breeds may be fairly intelligent, but I've yet to meet one that could think, figure stuff out, problem solve, etc. like a full size breed. Like people though some are below normal, some above. Mastiffs aren't known as really intelligent dogs but IMO he is the most human like intelligence of all the breeds I've owned or worked around in K9. People see the low energy, low motivation most mastiffs show and don't know what they are like unless they have one in the family. Finn is my second mastiff and he is much smarter than the first one.

They sure are good at reading body language but when they bond with someone it's almost like they can read minds to a degree. Your relationship with your/your fiancee's dog shows that. You can't train a dog with one quick statement like you made about calling you. He fully understood you and your meaning. That is smart!

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

My screen name is derived from my favorite knife using character in the movies, Mr Blonde from Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs. Not that I condone using a knife in that manner, but it makes for a cool sounding screen name ;)
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mr Blonde wrote:My screen name is derived from my favorite knife using character in the movies, Mr Blonde from Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs. Not that I condone using a knife in that manner, but it makes for a cool sounding screen name ;)
Yeah, not that I condone the actions of that character, but he does play a pretty cool part (evil though he may be).
Mr. Blonde: Listen kid, I'm not gonna bull**** you, all right? I don't give a good **** what you know, or don't know, but I'm gonna torture you anyway, regardless. Not to get information. It's amusing, to me, to torture a cop. You can say anything you want cause I've heard it all before. All you can do is pray for a quick death, which you ain't gonna get.
[He removes his razor]
Mr. Blonde: You ever listen to K-Billy's "Super Sounds of the Seventies" weekend? It's my personal favorite.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Mr Blonde wrote:My screen name is derived from my favorite knife using character in the movies, Mr Blonde from Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs. Not that I condone using a knife in that manner, but it makes for a cool sounding screen name ;)
Ironically, Michael Madsen abhors violence in real life. I actually read somewhere that the actor playing the cop ad-libbed a line about having a child at home and it upset Madsen (who had a new baby at home) so much that they had to stop filming briefly.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
eitenbuffalo34

Post by eitenbuffalo34 »

Eitenbuffalo34. "eiten" last name "buffalo" student at the university of colorado, boulder. GO BUFFS! "34" my favorite number and long time jersey number from my idol Walter Payton
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:spyder:'s: Paramilitary 2 Satin Camo, Caly 3.5 Carbon Fiber, Translucent Blue Manix, Pacific Salt SE, Tenacious, and Paramilitary 2 M390 Blue
KNaB

Post by KNaB »

A truncated version of my last name, Knabjian. Some call me K-Nab or Nabs.

/noseoil, one of my sisters and one of my brothers are blonde armenians :)
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Veteran of Vietnam '68 - '71, Desert Storm, Panama, Grenada, South America, Afghanistan, and my name is Al, so Alnamvet68 for short. ;)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

ASmitty wrote:Ironically, Michael Madsen abhors violence in real life. I actually read somewhere that the actor playing the cop ad-libbed a line about having a child at home and it upset Madsen (who had a new baby at home) so much that they had to stop filming briefly.
Interesting. I read somewhere that the actor playing Marvin Nash (the cop) asked Madsen to put him in the trunk of his car and drive around for about ten minutes, to get a better feel for what it's like. In return, alledgedly, Madsen drove around town for something like an hour and stopped to get a soda in a drive-thru which would explain for Mr Blonde sipping the soda when he makes his entrance in the warehouse.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mr Blonde wrote:Interesting. I read somewhere that the actor playing Marvin Nash (the cop) asked Madsen to put him in the trunk of his car and drive around for about ten minutes, to get a better feel for what it's like. In return, alledgedly, Madsen drove around town for something like an hour and stopped to get a soda in a drive-thru which would explain for Mr Blonde sipping the soda when he makes his entrance in the warehouse.
If that's true, that is ridiculously cool. The fact that he was just like "eh screw it, I'm taking my drink in with me" is so cool.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Axlis is a character name I came up with back in my role-playing days.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

One evening, before the birth of our firstborn, my wife and I were brain-storming some baby names. The subject of "weird names some celebs give their children" came up, for instance, Gweneth Paltrow who named her daughter "Apple".

This lead to a hilarious session in which "Broccoli" was suggested as a name for a boy. I thought it could actually work if you disguised it a little as "Brock O Lee", which sounds somewhat macho and like a dude who knows his karate. :D

It somehow stuck as a unique name useful for forums and such... :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi