Your TOP FIVE Spyderco Knives That Amaze You

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MCM

Post by MCM »

No wait, its these.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
MCM

Post by MCM »

Definitely these 5....
MCM

Post by MCM »

No, these.....

MCM

Post by MCM »

Its got to be these 5.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Maybe these? (see how silly these posts are) :p

MCM

Post by MCM »

no wait! these.......

O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

What ? Is that all ? Surely there must be another 5, 10 or 15. I did not see a Cetofante in all of them. No list is complete without a Cento. :D
O.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

In no particular order :
  • SE 440V Millie
  • C83 Persian
  • FG D2 Para
  • Caly Jr
  • "Knifeworks" Millie
  • C105 Persian
.... I cant count either.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
MCM

Post by MCM »

O,just,O wrote:What ? Is that all ? Surely there must be another 5, 10 or 15. I did not see a Cetofante in all of them. No list is complete without a Cento. :D
O.
Back to the orig 5, with 5 locks...... :p
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Gone :confused: ? C'mon man, I enjoyed those posts & the message. :)
O.
jossta

Post by jossta »

C95 Manix
M4 Millie
Bradley
Manix 2
Karambit

I don't have a Manix at the moment, but hopefully I'll pick up another one soon. I also have a feeling the Yojimbo 2 is going to bump one of those off the list. Maybe the Tuff too if I end up with one.
Phrede

Post by Phrede »

Sage
Native
Manix 2
Cricket (the knife I most often cut myself with)
Paramilitary2

Phrede
ÒWhether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.Ó
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

1. PPT
2. Stretch FRN
3. Persians
4. Lil Temp
5. Temp 2
honorable mention to the reliable Delica.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

My top 5 over 16 years of Spyderco purchasing/collecting:
(no order)

1. Lum Chinese (particularly the original Green)
2. Sage I
3. Gayle Bradley
4. Chokwe (smoothest opener ever, my thumb even gets near the Spydie hole and it opens!)
5. Original Kiwi
alt. G-10 Poliwog
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Sage 1 - Best gentleman's pocket knife
Stretch 2
Para 2 - Just about perfect, an awesome knife and priced right to boot
Manix 2 - My personal favorite design
Chokwe - "Wow" was my reaction when I opened this knife. Absolutely smooth and well put together.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
One

Post by One »

Great thread, Water Bug! It's always amazing to see the diversity of Spyderco knives that amaze others.

For me, my top 5 Spyderco knives I own that amaze me are:

1. Dodo: This was my first quality knife and my first Spyderco. It is also the only knife that I own two of the exact same configuration -- both blue G-10, PE -- although my user has a tapered tang while my other one has a squared tang.

When I set out to buy my first knife about six years ago, I immediately settled on the Spyderco brand, but was initially attracted to more diminutive, flat-ground, leaf-shaped blades like the Calypso Jr. or Dragonfly.

Being a lefty, I was somewhat put off by the lack of completely ambidextrous knives, especially when it came to clip positioning. I was also really hoping to find a blade under 2.5" that didn't compromise on ergonomics or materials.

As I researched here on the forums, I kept reading rave reviews about the Eric Glesser-designed Dodo. I dismissed it at first based on the bizarre looks -- even for a Spyderco -- and what appeared to be a very specialized, non-utilitarian blade style. I eventually gave in to the overwhelmingly positive reviews and purchased one, and I can't say I regret it.

The Dodo is still my go to knife and it amazes me how versatile it is as an every day urban accessory. Although the ball lock on my user can be made to slip under continuous pressure, it still makes a mighty fine -- and surprisingly safe -- slip-joint. My absolute favorite and most cherished blade that also started my life-long love for Spyderco and cutlery, in general.

2. Ti ATR SE: Deservingly called the Spyderbenza or Salbenza, the titanium ATR is the perfect blend of innovative design, attention to detail, and maximum functionality. There are too many things to love about this knife: the cobra hood, the integrated compression lock cut right into the handle, the unique dagger grind (plus those less pointy S30V serrations), and even that funky clip. The ATR is as much a joy to behold as it is to use day in and day out -- a perfect example of high-end Spyderco utility.

3. G-10 Harpy: Given my love for the Dodo, I developed a natural fondness for hawkbills. Although I'm sure the stainless version sells the best (why else would it be in the lineup since 1987) and I love the exquisiteness of my carbon fiber one, G-10 transforms the Harpy from a good to an amazing work knife. You haven't really experienced the awesome power of a Spyderco Harpy if you haven't used one with G-10 handles.

4. US Spyderench: What can I say? This thing was designed by a rocket scientist. I was lucky enough to score one of the last few originals straight from Martin Beck on eBay years ago. Although a Leatherman or SAK might be the better multitool for certain jobs, the Spyderench certainly fills a void in the multitool lineup. I can't tell you how many times the ability to split the Spyderench into a wrench and nut driver have saved me on odd jobs. And I swear you could rip a bank vault open with those slip-joint pliers. The 440C blade isn't bad either.

5. Spyderfly: It amazes me how Spyderco was able to bring something fresh and totally its own to the style while keeping the price point relatively low. It's sad that balisongs are demonized more so than other knives. On the bright side, I think it's a testament to Spyderco's tenacity that they responded to such criticism by releasing a product like the BaliYo which everyone can enjoy without controversy.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

My top 5 that I own (in no particular order):

1. Orange S30V Military - When I first got this knife (as a factory 2nd), I wasn't too impressed. It was much larger than I was used to, it carries only tip-down, and I wasn't the biggest fan of the liner lock. Well, I ended up moving a couple months ago and the new apartment didn't have any real kitchen knives. Out came the Millie for food prep, as the long blade is great for cutting thicker items and the open construction makes cleaning a breeze. The more I used it, the more it grew on me. It's one of those that I didn't fully appreciate until I used it a lot. It gets exclusive EDC of the left pocket. Now I'm signed up for a pre-order for the fluted Ti version.

2. Sage I - Another that I wasn't too sure if it was going to be a favorite, mostly because of the liner lock. But the carbon fiber on it is the best I've felt and seen, it has a finger choil, the ergos are perfect for my hand, and it is just the size I like. Oh yeah, I've since developed a new appreciation for the liner lock. To top it all off, Taiwan is producing some of the finest quality knives that I've ever seen from Spyderco.

3. Yellow H1 Ladybug Hawkbill - SmoothOne25 hooked me up with one of these and I can't put it down. It slices through just about everything like nobody's business and the hawkbill is great for pulling cuts. Just the other day on set, a guy needed to cut some adhesive backed fabric. Someone offered him a knife and he turned them down, saying he needed scissors because a knife couldn't cut it. Out came the ladybug and sliced through it no problem. Then someone needed to cut a hole in a thick leather belt. The tip dug straight through and with a quick little twist, cut out a little hole for the buckle. This is another one that is EDC'd and doesn't get rotated out.

4. Khukri - Anybody that knows me knows that I couldn't leave Ed Schempp off my list! I was initially very turned off by this knife. It looked extremely weird, I don't care for foliage green, and it seemed a bit pricey. Well, I picked one up on clearance when it got discontinued (solving the price dilemma), dyed the scales (solving the foliage green problem), and...well, it still is a weird looking thing, but I like it now. The blade angle is great, as it can cut a lot with little fatigue (due to Ed designing it to line up with the large arm-muscle groups) and the handle fits in my hand very comfortably. I also enjoy the history behind it as well as having a knife that looks nothing like what everyone else carries.

5. Navaja - This knife combines all my favorite things Spyderco: Taiwan build, Ed Schempp design, twill-woven carbon fiber, atypical appearance, and a history behind it. The carraca adds to the intrigue of this knife, which borders on being a piece of art. I haven't had much time with it, so maybe the newness is part of what makes it so cool, but I can't stop looking at it. Not to be one to just flaunt it's good looks, the Navaja also cuts extremely well and I'm appreciating the interesting blade shape.

It was hard to narrow it down to my top 5, but there they are. There were lots of knives in the running, so here's the honorable mentions:

Balance
VG-10 Caly 3
Chokwe
Blue ZDP Stretch
SE blue ATS-55 Delica 3
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Ok..

1. Tasman Salt
2. Meerkat Sprint
3. CF Balance
4. Saver Salt
5. Ladybug Hawkbill Salt

...and though I haven't even had it in my possession for a whole day yet...my new Para2 has absolutely blown me away. I could include my Persian and Delicas too...its way too hard to narrow 'em down like this..lol.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

In equal order:
Police- steel handle and Full serrated. Slim, slick and feels like pure class in the hand.

Squeak- N690 steel is awesome and the whole package is just 'right'- not big enough to scare Non-Knife-Peeps but enough blade to do most things I need in my daily life. In a world where even the 100% street legal UKPK seems to freak out some folk out with it's 'pointyness'

Military- The definition of the big Spydie folder for me: how can something so BIG and tough be so light and pocketfriendly? It defies logic!

Civilian- It's got but one purpose. And that's what it does. Never fails to ellicit a gulp and pause for thought when snicked open.

Harpy- Super tough, massive cutting power in something penknife sized. Feels classy too.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Holland

Post by Holland »

not a bad thread to revive, ill play

1. Chaparral 2: amazing f&f, not a bad steel, internal stop pin, very slim and just plain sexy
2. Gayle Bradley: amazing f&f, tough as they come, and M4 is by far my favourite steel
3. Caly 3 SuperBlue: amazing ergos, not bad f&f, and superblue is a lot of fun to use
4. Gayle Bradley Air: M4 steel, amazing f&f, slim and super light
5. Southfork: awesome steel choice, great size, and incredible ergos

:D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE