New to spyderco family....Pls help me to pick an EDC knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zinczinc

New to spyderco family....Pls help me to pick an EDC knife

Post by zinczinc »

Target budget: 40-70?(I will buy the knife through amazon.)

I like the leaf shaped blade (as manix, Cat, Chaparral, native)

I don't have any requirement for the material use for the handle.

But I do want the handle have "lender"

better can be disassemble (reason for step-back from the native)

The knife must not be made in China :p

Chaparral is just out of my budget....

Use is on hiking, camping too but not often.

Thank you guys.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

You can find the Manix2 with for less than $80 in a lot of places, it would be my first choice for an EDC Spyderco. I think Walmart sells them for $75, which is a steal for one of the best knives out there.

Link to Manix2 on Walmart.com for $77

On Amazon for the same price here.

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
zinczinc

thx

Post by zinczinc »

Cameron wrote:You can find the Manix2 with for less than $80 in a lot of places, it would be my first choice for an EDC Spyderco. I think Walmart sells them for $75, which is a steal for one of the best knives out there.

Link to Manix2 on Walmart.com for $77

On Amazon for the same price here.

Cameron
Thx. I was thinking to manix 2; however, I worried about the ball bearing spring. will it rust when the time go on? Since I live in seattle, there are lots of rains down here.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

zinczinc wrote:Thx. I was thinking to manix 2; however, I worried about the ball bearing spring. will it rust when the time go on? Since I live in seattle, there are lots of rains down here.
No it won't, I had mine in New Zealand (always by the coast) and had no issues. It is a great knife buy with confidence.

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Waco

Post by Waco »

zinczinc wrote:Use is on hiking, camping too but not often.
I didn't think I had much need for a pocket knife, until I discovered how handy Spydercos are. I went for years and years carrying an early Leatherman multi-tool that was good for many tasks, but had a terrible blade that refused to be sharpened.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

One of the other benefits of the Manix 2 is that you can get a lightweight version - not quite as tough as the heavier one, but it feels like a feather in your pocket.

That said, I am a huge fan of the Delica and Endura - they are "classic" models for a reason, and while they might not be as sexy and hyped up as the newer designs, they have aged extremely well and are still super functional EDC blades. I always think a Delica or Endura is the perfect "gateway drug" into the world of Spyderco.
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

I own a pocket knife too.

It is a eickhorn Solingen PRT-III. It is with me for years at least 7yrs? very reliable and now it stores in my car for any emergency.

I don't baby a knife, it went through many tough work. I can still open cans with just stabbing on the can lol.

Besides manix 2, any recommend model? (I know I was trying to be greedy lol)

really want the Chaparrel but it is too expensive ......I only have 100 max to spend.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

zinczinc wrote:really want the Chaparrel but it is too expensive ......I only have 100 max to spend.
I would suggest waiting, saving up the cash, and then getting the Chaparral in that case. Sears has it for less than $100 here.

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

Cameron wrote:I would suggest waiting, saving up the cash, and then getting the Chaparral in that case. Sears has it for less than $100 here.

Cameron
I found one $94 at amazon.

btw, why don't have chaparral without cf handle? =[
BD583

Post by BD583 »

The Manix2 would be a great choice for EDC/Camping. After that its a big $$ step up to a PM2, Military, PPT, or Gayle Bradley. Since you will have to buy more Spyderco knives in the future, consider just the perfect EDC knife for you now. Maybe the Manix2 is too large or heavy of an EDC for you? You can always add a camping knife later. Maybe a fixed blade.
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

BD583 wrote:The Manix2 would be a great choice for EDC/Camping. After that its a big $$ step up to a PM2, Military, PPT, or Gayle Bradley. Since you will have to buy more Spyderco knives in the future, consider just the perfect EDC knife for you now. Maybe the Manix2 is too large or heavy of an EDC for you? You can always add a camping knife later. Maybe a fixed blade.
Thx for replying.

Yes, I agree that Manix is kinda too large to EDC especially I am a student. And I just have bad feeling about the ball bearing lock....

So, how about the spyderco Cat? where does it make in? and I heard 440c is not a good steel...

I don't like the blade shape is too pointy
BD583

Post by BD583 »

zinczinc wrote:Yes, I agree that Manix is kinda too large to EDC especially I am a student
The ball-bearing lock is awsome, do not worry. It has been around for some time now.

Compared to the all the steels available now (VG-10, CPM S30V, ZDP-189, CTS-XHP, CPM-4, Elmax), 440C it is not a good steel. But is still way better than the China SS blades. 440C is a capable steel, it has just been left behind. The advantage is in it's price (price vs. quality). With each new steel hitting the market it gets pushed further down the quality spectrum. (440C is a Ford. CPM S30V is a Lexus. Elmax is a Ferrari.)

With the Cat you get a lower end steel but the nicer G-10 handles. I would highly consider a Delica4 (C11F). You get the great VG-10 blade but only FRN handles. In your price range I would go for the VG-10 blade. There are also many FRN colors available.

Also take a look at the made in Italy Pingo Slipit or Squeak Slipit.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

One consideration would be one (or two) of the value line folders. They are great knives, just not quite as expensive. The Manix2 is a GREAT knife as is the Chaparral. Chaparral in my pocket now. :) Not the knife for camping though. Blade is thinner as is the entire knife. Definately get one when you can though. I LOVE this knife for just everyday living. It's perfect. So, check out the Persistance and others in this group. The blade steel isn't one of the "super-steels" but still a very good steel. Sharpens easily to a very sharp edge. You may be able to get two (big one and little one) in this family for the same money that the Chaparral costs. Maybe even under or around the Manix2 price.

Good luck.
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Cat is a nice smaller folder made in Taiwan. 440C is a perfectly good steel when it is done properly, as Spyderco does it. The Dragonfly is also a nice smaller folder with better steel (VG-10). If you consider using as an occasional camp folder, how about a Delica? Good size and great price, and a lot of colors to chose from.

The Manix 2 is nice, but even the lightweight is a bit bulky in the pocket IMO and it might be a bit large for some folks.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

id look into the manix lightweight or a delica ffg
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
BD583

Post by BD583 »

Also consider the Salt 1 with the H1 blade. For a few more dollars you will not have to worry about rust. It is very light weight knife. Now that I am looking, I may order a Salt 1 for myself today.
Toast

Post by Toast »

As a student it may not be legal on your campus to carry a knife. With 'zeri tolerance' policies in effect you need to be very careful. Make sure you know what the policy is on the campus. That said I would say you need to decide between the edc blade and the camping knife. In your case they should likely be different.

You like the chaparral and it can be had in your budget. It looks like a great edc knife but would not likely stand up to puncturing cans. A delica isnt as nice a knife but might be tougher.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manix 2 would be my first suggestion, but what about a Delica? Not exactly a leaf shape blade but it's a good little knife that fits your budget. Also the Centofante 3 is an excellent knife. It's pinned so you can't take it apart but you really shouldn't need to.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

Toast wrote:As a student it may not be legal on your campus to carry a knife. With 'zeri tolerance' policies in effect you need to be very careful. Make sure you know what the policy is on the campus. That said I would say you need to decide between the edc blade and the camping knife. In your case they should likely be different.

You like the chaparral and it can be had in your budget. It looks like a great edc knife but would not likely stand up to puncturing cans. A delica isnt as nice a knife but might be tougher.
thank you guys for all the ideas lol.

As long as I keep my eye on chaparral. I was addicted. :D For the camping, I think I will use my old knife for primary and chaparral as secondary if I will get one? since camping is not very often activity, there is no point to weight that much. How's it? chaparral is awesome!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you really want the Chaparral, get it. A year after buying it you won't remember spending the money on it, and you'll have what you really want. I've bought several knives trying to avoid a knife that was out of my price range, trying to find a cheap alternative, only to realize I've spent enough I may as well have just bought the one I wanted to begin with, and then I eventually do and then I've spent twice as much as I originally planned.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David