I don't understand Blue, Green, or any brightly colored handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kromo

Post by kromo »

Holland wrote:this just made my day hahahaha, well done sir :D
+1
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

hahah thanks man. I'll readily admit that I like the different colors along with the different blade steel choices.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

+2 lol!

That must be exhausting trying to keep all those colors matched up all the time! :)

I like different colors, but tend to prefer them more subdued on my knives. Nothing wrong with blue, but would prefer a duskier blue like is found on the older ZDP Stretch. Kind of a blue-gray! Very cool, subdued color. The eye-popping candy colors don't really float my boat. But who knows, maybe some day I will change. But I do tend to like to fly under the radar with my knife carrying (subdued colors, deep carry clips, etc).

But different strokes....
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I don't know that I have ever been accused of being "normal"... :)

My workplace has a "no weapons" policy. I consider my knives to be tools, not weapons, but don't see the need to attract attention to myself, so my knives are *in* my pocket, not clipped (except my Caly 3.5 which rides low enough in my waistband, with the clip hidden by my belt, that it won't attract attention). Since my knives are down in my pocket, it doesn't matter what color they are. And I have seen people comment about "black" knives as being more dangerous looking, all depends on the person. When I am away from work, I carry clipped, but since Texas allows up to 5 1/2" blade length, I'm not worried about someone claiming I have an illegal weapon. I like the different colors for variety, and it is easier to tell at a glance when I pull my knife out of the drawer whether it is my CTS-XHP or M390 blade when I have 5 or 6 PM2's :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Handle colors are not important to me. If the knife I want comes in pink, orange or magenta, that's fine. If I have a choice, I'll choose earth tones, but I don't really care.

OTOH, knowing that certain models, having certain steels came in a particular color does make them easier to identify. The example of the blue PM2->M390. Or a grey G10 Caly->Super Blue. That's handy. But I won't choose (or refuse) any knife based on color.

Ken
玉鋼
v8r

Post by v8r »

Personally I think black is boring, I like colors. I wish we could see some toxic green G10 thrown in the mix.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

I like colors other than black simply because I've had enough black ones over the years. I'm not afraid to say that I love the colors lime green and purple. I've gotten to a point in my life that I am going to enjoy totin' my knives around and also enjoy the colors I like and people's opinions be damned. In fact, I want people to know I'm carrying a knife so that if anyone who notices has any ill-intentions, they may think twice about coming my way. As for sheeple who are afraid of knives, I have very little tolerance for ignorant folk and don't let them deter or bother me. I know who I am, have no intentions to do anyone or anything harm with my knives, so what's the big deal? Of course working in the enviroment that I do, I admit I have it easier to walk around work without shame or concern compared to others.

Enjoy your knives and colors and do so with pride and satisfaction.

Edited to add: I'm with you v8r, let's see some Toxic/Lime Green!!! Is anyone listening!!!!????
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

I like bright handles on the knives I use for yard work so if I set it down and forget where I put it, it's easier to find that way.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I prefer bright colors. Easy to find in dusty cars/packs/when dropped in the woods, look like other items in a tool box, are more fun to play with/look at.

Toxic green? No matter which knife, must have it!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Because they are cute. ;)
Waco

Post by Waco »

I like the orange Millie, but black was the only choice for a Lefty.
impulse2010

Post by impulse2010 »

i love my orange delica. Its bright and sexy lol
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The question can be flipped, why does it have to be black all the time. It'll always be the most popular color anyway regardless if everyone isn't as paranoid with their coworkers as you are. I feel colored handles can be less threatening, but in the end I edc what I feel like for the day.

I'm sure divers and hunters (among other activities) appreciate brightly colored handles.

If you collect knives, having the same color (black) gets a little old. It's nice collecting different colors of the same knife that you like. It's good for variety in general also.

The few times that I've gotten comments like "that's a scary knife" from random people has been with regular (black) knives. Sheeple are probably less intimidated with my purple Endura than some tacticool black blade I own. Having a brightly colored PM2 all but guarantees that I'm not out on a kill bin Laden mission.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't mind some darker earth tones but the bright colors aren't for me. I can understand safety orange or yellow for some outdoors purposes where they can aid in finding your knife if you drop it in the weeds, but beyond that I think the other colors are just for variety. I tend to be more Johnny Cash/Man In Black/Henry Ford and prefer my knives to just be black, but I do really like the khaki G10 on my Manix, and would love to have this color on other knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I made G10 scales for my Delica. They're white with a lime green backspacer. It's visually more interesting to look at than black.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
chukar8

Post by chukar8 »

I like the colors, tired of black with black and some more black. But then again where I live no one cares if you have a knife because most people do.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I like brightly colored handles for two reasons. They make for a nice alternative besides black, it's a collector thing for me. And the bright colors have proven to be very nkp friendly, it helps edge-u-cate the masses of sorts.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

I don't get "tired" of black. I think it's the classic color (kind of like red is to a Corvette)... but I also see the appeal of colors... I just wish manufacturers would use darker more toned down versions of color... navy blue, dark green, dark gray (really would like to see some dark gray as opposed to that light gray that was on the Sprint Para2), maroon, coyote tan/brown, etc would be cool. The toxic colors on knives just don't do it for me... make them look like kids' toys to me.

It's all a matter of personal preference though....
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

Black is just too ordinary for me. I have all the knives I'll ever need for normal use but I keep on buying them so I want there to be something special about each knife I buy. For some reason though I do like the pale gray that the super blue sprints come in.
Urban Leaf, Superblue Delica 4, Leafstorm, Brown XHP Native, Brown Para 2
Revival

Post by Revival »

You need to remember that people that buy these knives live all over the world. And people carry/use knives for different reasons. Someone who lives in a city and works in an office type setting is not going to use their knife the same way as someone who lives in the country and that works on a farm. Maybe someone is going to use that colorful knife only inside their house. Maybe people buy the colored spydies just to add to their collection. Whatever the case may be, there is a market for these knives and people will continue to buy them and i think its great that they offer all kinds of options.