Steel Junkies: A new laminate S 90V clad with cpm 154 cm FYI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Blerv wrote:We really should continue this in another thread in Off-Topic called "beating a dead horse". Ill boycott it of course.
The problem, and this problem has recurred quite a bit over time, when one particular person lays waste to what had been a great thread, is not that there's a horse involved but that there's another member of the equine family asserting himself. :(
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ankerson wrote:Here are the photos of the test Knife, Phil asked me to post them up. :)

Wow, not sure about all the drama in this thread, but I love the fact that this prototype blade that was put together simply to try out the ability of the steel itself, is still lovingly crafted into a gorgeous custom knife. He could've ground the blade and wrapped duct tape around it, but that just wouldn't be the same :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Nozh,

You are not banned on the forum, that should be obvious as you still show active status, nor do you even need to be a member of the forum to read the posts.

As you kept insulting the members when they asked you questions which you would not answer your messages were simply flagged for moderator approval before they are posted.

That being said, you have no actual rejected posts, any rejected posts would be posted in a separate forum noting why they were rejected.
It is all here including screenshot

http://nozh2002.blogspot.com/2012/07/ju ... ssion.html

- I was not banned, I just have no permission to read... without any explanation as well as I am moderator of every little forums, so I have all e-mail notification in my spam folder from you (not too many really). Little Cliff playing scientist in his own sandbox - pathetic...
Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

nozh2002 wrote:It is all here including screenshot

Wow. Just ..... wow.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

nozh2002 wrote:It is all here including screenshot

- I was not banned, I just have no permission to read... without any explanation as well as I am moderator of every little forums, so I have all e-mail notification in my spam folder from you (not too many really). Little Cliff playing scientist in his own sandbox - pathetic...
Noz,
Anything that happens on another forum is a discussion for that other forum. Please don't bring those issues here where they do not belong.

This thread was started to discuss a new steel. Something that many of our members have an interest in. The discussion was going quite nicely. Please keep to the topic of the original post that started this thread and refrain from making personal gibes at other members.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Nozh,

Instead of jumping to a conspiracy, you might want to just send an email on the issue. As noted, due to your behavior for which you were warned several times, you were flagged and put in the moderated group which means your messages have to have approval of a moderator before posting. However the permissions were not set properly and amusingly enough you were actually given moderation abilities on all groups (hence why you received all the emails on spam, etc.) . I just reviewed your profile and set it correctly, had you sent me an email when you first noticed that it would have been corrected then as well.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

TazKristi wrote:Noz,
Anything that happens on another forum is a discussion for that other forum. Please don't bring those issues here where they do not belong.

This thread was started to discuss a new steel. Something that many of our members have an interest in. The discussion was going quite nicely. Please keep to the topic of the original post that started this thread and refrain from making personal gibes at other members.

Kristi
Well I am not bringing up anything, just replying to issues brought up by others.
Like Sal asked me to list steels I like to see - even this is not topic of this thread,
I feel like I should answer.

So do not blame this on me. I think you may find more comments here which are
not quite on topic and more or less disrespectful to me, why do you choose to warn
only me?
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Nozh,

Instead of jumping to a conspiracy, you might want to just send an email on the issue. As noted, due to your behavior for which you were warned several times, you were flagged and put in the moderated group which means your messages have to have approval of a moderator before posting. However the permissions were not set properly and amusingly enough you were actually given moderation abilities on all groups (hence why you received all the emails on spam, etc.) . I just reviewed your profile and set it correctly, had you sent me an email when you first noticed that it would have been corrected then as well.
Well, why did not you send me e-mail with explanation why you did that changes? To me it was clear continuation of you childish play, as well as I post about this on my blog. Plus, I do not really see any value in your play - you pretends to be scientists - good for you, but I do not care.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

I just talked to Frank Cox from NSM and they are going to make some more of this CPM S90V/CPM 154 composite. It should be available in about 3 to 4 months. good news that. Phil
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Phil Wilson wrote:I just talked to Frank Cox from NSM and they are going to make some more of this CPM S90V/CPM 154 composite. It should be available in about 3 to 4 months. good news that. Phil
Great news :) Thanks for keeping the thread on track!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Phil Wilson wrote:I just talked to Frank Cox from NSM and they are going to make some more of this CPM S90V/CPM 154 composite. It should be available in about 3 to 4 months. good news that. Phil
That is good news. :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

So now we just need to figure out which Spyderco is going to get this steel in a sprint run... ;)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Phil. Hope they make enough for us to do something with.

sal
Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

jabba359 wrote:So now we just need to figure out which Spyderco is going to get this steel in a sprint run... ;)
How about the Chokwe? It's got a pretty delicate blade that might benefit from the increased toughness..
Mmmm, S90v Chokwe :D
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Chokwe would be awesome!

Nederspyder wrote:How about the Chokwe? It's got a pretty delicate blade that might benefit from the increased toughness..
Mmmm, S90v Chokwe :D
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Southfork sprint with stag handles? Probably have to sell some organs but a guy can dream...
Test knife looks stunning would like to see a finer polish on it.
I see, said the blind man.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Given that the main issue with S125V was the fragility and extreme difficult in grinding it so much so that even people experienced in making knives from high vanadium steels didn't like using it. Why not do a S125V/154CM clad, or even S15V/154CM clad. In those two the differences between the clad and the core are much more pronounced and the ease of manufacturing might made it far more practical than the actual core steel as a solid blade. Or as another take how about a 10V/15V and 3V or even 9V clad, in the extremes 15V/9V you have a pretty huge difference between the clad and the code.
chukar8

Post by chukar8 »

Cliff Stamp wrote: Or as another take how about a 10V/15V
Now that would make me spend money, I have a fixed blade in 3V that I love.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I just re read the OP by Ed. A 2 point difference by Phil is pretty amazing.

I believe CPM 154 is a good choice the more I think of it as it can take the high temps the CPM powder high vanadium steels require. The nice finish CPM 154 can take is just a nice bonus. Looking at the knife sample got my interest up even further. I'm hoping to see enough of these made in any model for me to get a knife to try.

Of course I want to get the cruwear millie first and perhaps a couple extras. I've already begun saving for that, and feel I have time before there will be any of these laminate monsters available.

What a year this is turning out to be! :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
nsm

Post by nsm »

Sorry I'm so late to this thread. Thanks to Ed, Sal, Joe, Phil and Jim for their input, hard work, and kind words. Let me see if I can clear up a couple items here.
1. When we sought out to develop a composite alloy we wanted two well established grades that were compatible for heat treating and were available in CPM. We agreed with Ed that CPM 154 and CPM S90-V fit the bill. Now that we know it works we know there are other variations that can be made.
2. Before we try other variations, we have more of the same on order with Crucible. We are currently processing some CPM S90V plate that will be shipped to Crucible, canned with CPM 154 and HIP'd into a solid slab. We can then roll it into several thicknesses upon demand. (Sal, there will be three times as much made this time so we'll keep you up to date with our progress.)
3. I can assure you this is all done in the USA and I'm willing to prove it by any means necessary. To imply that this is being done offshore is in the least incorrect and at the most damaging and libelous.
4. Everyone is correct that this is an expensive way to process an alloy so it may not be for everyone.
5. We could order some CPM S60-V from Crucible but here has not been much demand for it. For the time being we are focusing on the grades that are in high demand and introducing new grades such as CPM Cruwear, CPM 4V and CPM 110-V.
I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you have any questions, concerns or suggestions. I want to truly thank you for your interest and support. Everyone I have dealt with in the knife community has been honorable, friendly and helpful.

Bob Shabala