Another crazy pre-order???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure i'd call the Yojimbo 2's grind horrid. I used to completely hate hollow grinds but this knife has changed my opinion of them...that should say something. Also as for being less useful, i've found that because of the handle design and the way the edge is lower than the grip, you can do some things with this knife that you might not expect a wharnie to be good at, like food prep. Use a pinch grip on the spine/hole and it can chop with the best of'em, even with the thick grind. I've sliced tomatoes thin enough to see through with this knife.

I've found blade length to be the biggest limiting factor in what this knife can do. Obviously you won't be skinning a deer with it any time soon, but it works just fine for every EDC task i've had to put it through so far.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Evil D wrote:Why would you request such a crazy idea??
Uncontrollable urge to buy 2, fake my own death, assume a new identity, and buy 2 more.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Why fake your death...buying extra knives are what brothers are for!
tvenuto wrote:Uncontrollable urge to buy 2, fake my own death, assume a new identity, and buy 2 more.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

JudasD wrote:what is peel-ply carbon fiber? sound like a CF sticker on regular handles.

JD
Nope - it's not a sticker. It describes a particular type of CF scales. It's quit nice, depending on what you like...but it's not a sticker. Do a quick search on it, there are plenty of Spyderco knives with a peel-ply carbon fiber handle to get an idea of what it will look like. These are the current epitome of materials, if you chase after those types of things. In reality G10 scales and S30V or VG-10 steel is a very nice knife, but this is better. I'll be a buyer for sure.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

The Yojimbo 2 was my first true pointy wharnicliffe and while I truly enjoyed the blade shape, I couldn't get over the hollow grind. Sure hollow grinds looks striking and intimidating, but they don't exactly excel in the cutting/ slicing department. At the very tip it remains thin and cuts well, but anything tough/thick they have trouble parting. I'd like to see the S90V variant at least flat ground.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

And while thus is a "SD" blade, how often does anyone deploy a blade in such fashion?
It is going to be used more for daily tasks than slashing up baddies, and for that flat grinds prevail!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Hopefully never.

I tried to cut some cardboard with my Yo 2 right in the middle of the edge and with how wide the blade is, it had trouble spreading the cardboard apart. It felt like a much tougher cut than I'm sure it was. I told myself if cutting cardboard, I'd try to cut near the tip with a positive angle.

In my mind the only problem with the PPT/CF sprint is that it is rare to see good looking carbon fiber with that Anso pattern. I would be cool with flat peel ply or Taiwan's textured CF, or even another color of G-10.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
paisa777

Post by paisa777 »

Anybody have any idea as to when these will be available for pre-order?
BAL

Post by BAL »

MachSchnell wrote:And while thus is a "SD" blade, how often does anyone deploy a blade in such fashion?
It is going to be used more for daily tasks than slashing up baddies, and for that flat grinds prevail!
You're probably right about not needing a knife for self defense. Tell that to anyone who has
ever been attacked, robbed, raped, kidnapped, beaten etc etc etc., They proabably thought
the same thing, up until that certain point in time in their life when their mind might have
changed.

Probably the same reason why CCW guns don't sell well.

And besides, I don't have any issues using a hollow grind for work.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Donut wrote:Hopefully never.

I tried to cut some cardboard with my Yo 2 right in the middle of the edge and with how wide the blade is, it had trouble spreading the cardboard apart. It felt like a much tougher cut than I'm sure it was. I told myself if cutting cardboard, I'd try to cut near the tip with a positive angle.

In my mind the only problem with the PPT/CF sprint is that it is rare to see good looking carbon fiber with that Anso pattern. I would be cool with flat peel ply or Taiwan's textured CF, or even another color of G-10.
I was cutting up a pizza box with my Yo2 in order to make more pizza in the oven (yes I have a problem I know :P ) and found that by using the very tip before you get to the top of the grind it slices extremely well. As in I just dragged my knife across the top of the box and it fell away from the rest of the box. I freaking love the hollow grind on it and would definitely consider it a downgrade if it were to be FFG.