PM2 brings a tear to the eye...

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
computernut

PM2 brings a tear to the eye...

Post by computernut »

Or maybe it was the onions... :)

C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

Oh man, I thought you were goin to say that you dropped it, and broke the tip...

That would make me tear up :(
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

This brings to mind something that I have always wondered about but was afraid to ask until now. Is it safe to eat off the DLC coatings?
Clip

Post by Clip »

RanCoWeAla wrote:This brings to mind something that I have always wondered about but was afraid to ask until now. Is it safe to eat off the DLC coatings?
Absolutely. Unless you've coated the DLC with another product, it should be totally inert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon
Wikipedia wrote:Virtually all of the multi-bladed razors used for wet shaving have the edges coated with hydrogen-free DLC to reduce friction, preventing abrasion of sensitive skin. Some forms have been certified in the EU for food service and find extensive uses in the high-speed actions involved in processing novelty foods such as "chips" and in guiding material flows in packaging foodstuffs with plastic wraps. DLC coats the cutting edges of tools for the high-speed, dry shaping of difficult exposed surfaces of wood and aluminum, for example on automobile dashboards.

The implantable human heart pump[9] can be considered the ultimate biomedical application where DLC coating is used on blood contacting surfaces of the key components of the device.

Other medical applications such as Percutaneous coronary intervention employing brachytherapy find additional benefits from the unique electrical properties of DLC. At low voltages and low temperatures electrodes coated with DLC can emit enough electrons to be arranged into disposable, micro-X-ray tubes as small as the radioactive seeds that are introduced into arteries or tumors in conventional brachytherapy. The same dose of prescribed radiation can be applied from the inside, out with the additional possibility to switch on and off the radiation in the prescribed pattern for the X-rays being used.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

That blade seems a little short for that onion ;)
computernut

Post by computernut »

The PM2 has a blade long enough and the right shape to be quite useful for cutting food (including sandwiches). I just cut up a banana and it worked great, just have to remember to not cut against my fingers like I have to with the regular cutlery. :rolleyes:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

enduraguy wrote:That blade seems a little short for that onion ;)
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

phillipsted wrote:Image
Oh, yeah, very fond memories of Belushi's samurai bit. I think my favorite was samurai tv repairman, where he placed the broken tv behind the counter, "attacked" it with his rubber katana screaming incomprehensibly, then set it back on the counter and it was working perfectly. Back in the day when we only had vhf and uhf. Remember uhf? I recall watching Superhost on uhf channel 43 out of Cleveland as well as small-time wrestling matches by a little company called the World Wrestling Federation. Wonder whatever happened to them....?

Wait a minute, this is getting slightly off-topic, isn't it?

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
BAL

Post by BAL »

C.L.L 97 wrote:Oh man, I thought you were goin to say that you dropped it, and broke the tip...

That would make me tear up :(
I thought that he had poked his eye out. Wait, that's with a bb gun, red ryder I believe.
Para to the eye, now that would make you tear up.
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

How can you keep the Para2 (or any other folder) clean, lubricated and protected without using something like mineral oils, Tuff-Cloth, Sheath, Militec etc? I think those would alter the taste of the onion or whatever food you slice with it. Not to mention toxicity.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Zeabed wrote:How can you keep the Para2 (or any other folder) clean, lubricated and protected without using something like mineral oils, Tuff-Cloth, Sheath, Militec etc? I think those would alter the taste of the onion or whatever food you slice with it. Not to mention toxicity.
You only need to lube the pivot, which shouldn't come in contact with food. The blade can just be washed with soapy water and wiped dry.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

Evil D wrote:You only need to lube the pivot, which shouldn't come in contact with food. The blade can just be washed with soapy water and wiped dry.
So, no additional blade protection is necessary? This subject interests me because I live in SE Florida and Summer has just started big time, along with our sea-level humidity and rain.
jasonp1

Post by jasonp1 »

I've used my para one for making pico de gallo many times and can sympathize with the tears :) Good stuff though and worth the effort.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Zeabed wrote:So, no additional blade protection is necessary? This subject interests me because I live in SE Florida and Summer has just started big time, along with our sea-level humidity and rain.
Well that may well be a different story, i live in KY so i don't have to deal with salt or that much moisture.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David