Searching for that ONE knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fredswartz

Searching for that ONE knife

Post by fredswartz »

I have gone back 20 pages or more on Google to find an Adventura. I found one at a boutique shop in Arizona for $85. I found a Phoenix from an eBay seller who specializes in handbags. My latest find was a couple of Calypso
Jr.'s from Botach Tactical for $60 each NIB. They also list Navigator 2 's at a good price. I once got an original Howard Viele from A tip from a forum member who lived near
A store in KY that had a few. I think that most of us
like newer knives but I like the older classic too. To me
the hunt is part of collecting or searching for that special Spyderco.

Any good finds out there and where did you get them?

Jerry
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey fred,
About a month ago i stumbled upon a pe c42 howard viele at a military surplus srore that i frequent at the flea market.
It was used, but in great shape, and even had a kydex sheath with it. All for $80.00.
I also got a terzuola slipjoint used for $30.00 at the same flea market.
You just have to keep your eyes open for the good deals.
Just today, i got a buck lockback for $2.00,and a crkt shrimp for $5.00.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Its not a Spydie but i got an Al Mar SERE Operator in decent shape for $20 at a local pawn shop a few weeks ago.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

fredswartz wrote:I have gone back 20 pages or more on Google to find an Adventura. I found one at a boutique shop in Arizona for $85. I found a Phoenix from an eBay seller who specializes in handbags. My latest find was a couple of Calypso
Jr.'s from Botach Tactical for $60 each NIB. They also list Navigator 2 's at a good price. I once got an original Howard Viele from A tip from a forum member who lived near
A store in KY that had a few. I think that most of us
like newer knives but I like the older classic too. To me
the hunt is part of collecting or searching for that special Spyderco.

Any good finds out there and where did you get them?

Jerry
How was your experience with Botach? Ive read some negative reviews about em.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

You can't beat flea markets. I frequent one every week and that's where I buy every one of my knives. The one I am refering to is located on Hwy. 27 between Carrollton Georgia and Bremen Georgia. The West Georgia Flea Mkt. if ever in the area be sure and check it out. Open Sat. and Sun. one dealer told me he has over three thousand knives.
BAL

Post by BAL »

That one special knife does not exist, but it's fun to keep looking.
Perhaps Bigfoot has a stash of them.
fredswartz

Post by fredswartz »

Billy:

Botach used to have a bad rep and I didn't
trust dealing with them. This time everything
was professional with great follow up emails
and free shipping. Something has changed
there.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

BAL wrote:That one special knife does not exist,
You're probably right but, so far, it's one of these two.

But I gotta say, I don't know if I could choose between them. Glad I don't have to!

Ken
玉鋼
BAL

Post by BAL »

Those are definately two of the best for sure, kbuzbee
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

BAL wrote:Those are definately two of the best for sure, kbuzbee
Thanks brother!

Ken
玉鋼
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am done with the search for that one knife. I bought my bolstered Persian six years ago and EDC it since. Closest are my Calys Native5, and Kopas but not equals. Of cause I tried few other knives, but none of them succeeded. I was very exited about Navaja, but it didn't come even close. Blue Damascus Delica had it's moment, but it didn't last long. You never know, may be one day I will find equal to my Persian, may be not.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jossta

Post by jossta »

My greatest Spydie find was a Chinook II for $75 NIB from a random outdoor forum.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

As much as i love the Para 2, i can tell you with all certainty that it is not "the one" for me. Right now it's a **** good runner up, but something is missing. As for older knives, i like some designs but i'm a steel snob, and i don't like the idea of spending "discontinued prices" for older obsolete steels, on a knife that if i really do fall in love with i'm gonna want to use and potentially destroy, and then not have a backup since they're so hard to find. When i do find The One, i'll probably buy 5 of them just so i'm sure i have backups.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:You're probably right but, so far, it's one of these two.

But I gotta say, I don't know if I could choose between them. Glad I don't have to!

Ken
I know, I'm glad too. I wonder what we would do, a man comes into the house and holds a gun on our loved ones and says "pick, GB, Caly3 or the wife." :confused: :confused:

Hopefully he would give us time to think it through and do the right thing. :) My pick would be GB. How about you? :D

Jack
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

jossta wrote:My greatest Spydie find was a Chinook II for $75 NIB from a random outdoor forum.
Winner.

I got a smoking deal on a G10 Delica, but I let it go later. Hope you're enjoying it Barry.

I'm still looking for another.
BAL

Post by BAL »

jackknifeh wrote:I know, I'm glad too. I wonder what we would do, a man comes into the house and holds a gun on our loved ones and says "pick, GB, Caly3 or the wife." :confused: :confused:

Hopefully he would give us time to think it through and do the right thing. :) My pick would be GB. How about you? :D

Jack

Yea or the bad guys are stealing things in your house and holding you at gun point
and you are watching them grab the TV, jewelry, DVD's etc etc, then all of a sudden
they come out with a hand full of Spyderco's and the adrenalin kicks and you're filled
with rage at the thought, and it's like "why you son of a ......"

The TV and stereo are one thing, but the Millie GB and Yo, now that's another thing.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote: My pick would be GB. How about you? :D
Nope. I'd pick the wife! ;)

But the real answer is I'd point my S&W 500 at him and end the discussion ;)

Ken
玉鋼
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:Nope. I'd pick the wife! ;)

But the real answer is I'd point my S&W 500 at him and end the discussion ;)

Ken
I'm sure you were in the top of your class in advanced communication. :)

Jack
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote:I'm sure you were in the top of your class in advanced communication. :)
"non-verbal" communication:lol:

Ken
玉鋼
jeffc

Post by jeffc »

Lol you guys crack me up