Spyderco assembly line. What does it look like?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Spyderco assembly line. What does it look like?

Post by jackknifeh »

I have often wondered what a Spyderco assembly line looks like. Right after high school I got a job making multi-layered stove pipe out of sheet metal. Different lengths, metal, elbows, etc. were a few of the things that were included in a type of pipe that was to be made. The “line” was set up with the appropriate size dies and machines to make that pipe. I’ve mentally compared what I did to a Spyderco “line”. The handles, blades and different parts are made then brought to a final location for assembly and boxing I’d think. Since all the pipe we made was sheet metal everything was centrally located. But with the knives you have FRN, G-10, M4, VG-10, etc. and pieces are probably made in different locations including different parts of the world. It’s amazing what it takes to get a knife into my hand. More recently when working for a computer company one of our customers was a port on the gulf coast where ships came from all over the world. One ship carried bananas. I thought a big pile of bananas was what I saw in the grocery store but what I saw on a ship one day would humble the biggest grocery store. So, again it’s amazing what a product goes through to get into my hand.

I saw a short video of a Native being made. It showed the different jobs but not a “big picture” view so to speak. I can imagine a company not wanting to show their entire process. While it is probably pretty generic I’m sure there are individual techniques that Spyderco uses the they may not want seen. For example when I worked at Hardee’s I dropped a hamburger on the floor and put it back on the grill. :) I bet you haven’t seen that technique in any fast food restaurant commercial. :D

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

This is how I imagine it. Except more cookies and Sal is far less scary than Santa.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Who let the raccoon in?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David

Post by 1623 »

Evil D wrote:Who let the raccoon in?
The Raccoon picks up any dropped screws...see, he just spotted one :)
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Little bits here:

[video=youtube_share;9KTkDeXQWh0]http://youtu.be/9KTkDeXQWh0?hd=1[/video]
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Great video. Brings back memories of working in a metal fab shop while going to college.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Anyone who knows what martial arts they're training?
Truckie453

Post by Truckie453 »

Looks like Michael Janich in the video so I would guess martial blade concepts. If you ever get a chance to go to a seminar or class do it. They also have videos you can order.
Ghost wrote:Anyone who knows what martial arts they're training?
-Vinny

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.

:spyder: endura (lost)
:spyder: dragonfly
:spyder: Gayle Bradley
:spyder: Para 2
:spyder: Purple Delica 4 (lost)
:spyder: Yojimbo 2
:spyder: Orange Delica 4
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Here is a great video. I'd also like to praise the Spyderench or Byrdrench. They are both discontinued but getting one whould be a great decision if you need a multi-tool if you can find one. I have one and it with a SOG PowerLock makes for a small tool kit that has everything you need in a small set. The SOG has needlenose pliers, standard other tools and a 1/4" adapter for additional bits. The Spyderco tool has an adjustable wrench (invaluable) and comes apart (invaluable). Also, any 1/4" bit can be used in addition to the 4 it carries with it. It has without a doubt the strongest knife than any multi-tool I've seen.

The video of a Native being made is really good. I just watched it and enjoyed it more than I did the first time I saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUt8ii6ZTjY

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JNewell wrote:Little bits here:

[video=youtube_share;9KTkDeXQWh0]http://youtu.be/9KTkDeXQWh0?hd=1[/video]
Lots of badass people doing badass things :D

Anyone else spot the Jandura in there? look at 1:40.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jackknifeh wrote:Here is a great video. I'd also like to praise the Spyderench or Byrdrench. They are both discontinued but getting one whould be a great decision if you need a multi-tool if you can find one. I have one and it with a SOG PowerLock makes for a small tool kit that has everything you need in a small set. The SOG has needlenose pliers, standard other tools and a 1/4" adapter for additional bits. The Spyderco tool has an adjustable wrench (invaluable) and comes apart (invaluable). Also, any 1/4" bit can be used in addition to the 4 it carries with it. It has without a doubt the strongest knife than any multi-tool I've seen.

The video of a Native being made is really good. I just watched it and enjoyed it more than I did the first time I saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUt8ii6ZTjY

Jack

In this video, it says "every blade is tested for sharpness..." Does he mean EVERY blade is tested like that or just a blade is tested from a batch as a quality control? If it does indeed mean that EVERY blade is each tested individually, then this means two things to me:

1, people who have complained that some knives don't come as sharp as others have, could be because they've already been "used" before you bought it since they cut things during testing, and

2, these blades are EVEN SHARPER before testing, which says a LOT about the skill that these guys put into sharpening these knives since they're still **** sharp right out of the box (even after being tested).
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Ghost wrote:Anyone who knows what martial arts they're training?
That is not martial arts. Those are guys jockeying for their position in the pre-order lineup for the next sprint. :eek: :D
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I like the music in the video. Pretty cool.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, they obviously couldn't test each knife for strength, since that's destructive testing. I'd bet heavily they don't CATRA test every single blade, since it's both time consuming and counter productive since it would dull the edge. They may check all the edge angles on the Goinometer, but I'd be more surprised if they do than if they don't. What they may try to do with every blade (at least the ones made in Golden) is make a single test cut in paper.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Anything I say in this post is just my opinion. I am NOT suggesting that Spyderco change anything they do. Not that they would listen to me anyway. :)
Evil D wrote:In this video, it says "every blade is tested for sharpness..." Does he mean EVERY blade is tested like that or just a blade is tested from a batch as a quality control? If it does indeed mean that EVERY blade is each tested individually, then this means two things to me:

1, people who have complained that some knives don't come as sharp as others have, could be because they've already been "used" before you bought it since they cut things during testing, and

2, these blades are EVEN SHARPER before testing, which says a LOT about the skill that these guys put into sharpening these knives since they're still **** sharp right out of the box (even after being tested).
I have mentioned that I've seen a big difference in how sharp the knives are. Only a couple were not acceptable IMO and it was the same model knife. Most are sharp and some are VERY sharp. That may be the difference you are talking about. I have no idea how they test sharpness of the knives before boxing. The serrated edge cutting through that THICK stack of paper I don't think would be done on each knife. Testing sharpness really boils down to testing the performance of the person doing the sharpening. If I were in charge I would walk up to a sharpener and grab a knife randomly and slice some paper or something. If I found one that wasn't what I wanted I'd try a couple of others to identify a trend if there is one. That sort of thing.

The Deacon wrote:Well, they obviously couldn't test each knife for strength, since that's destructive testing. I'd bet heavily they don't CATRA test every single blade, since it's both time consuming and counter productive since it would dull the edge. They may check all the edge angles on the Goinometer, but I'd be more surprised if they do than if they don't. What they may try to do with every blade (at least the ones made in Golden) is make a single test cut in paper.
I wouldn't want to buy a knife that had been tested for lock strength. :eek: Once the parts are decided on and made I think testing one every 1000 knives or each production of different "runs" of each model would be plenty.

I'd check the edge angles like I would the sharpness if it was my job, randomly. Then you could identify a person who is either very consistant or each knife is different. Then further training would be done where needed. Just like any skill. I don't have a goinometer. I just use the Edge Pro for accuracy. I will say their accuracy is VERY consistant with my limited experience and testing tools. What I've seen is about 99% of the knives come with an angle of between 32° and 38° inclusive. I believe that's fine. That is about perfect for EDC knives and the sharpmaker at 40° will hit the edge and sharpen the knife. I have seen a couple with very different angles on opposite sides of the blade. I can see this being a common problem when learning to sharpen on a grinding wheel like in the Native video. Holding the knife one way then reversing hand positions would take practice to get consistant angles on both sides.

As I see it the only real problem with inaccurate angles or a knife that isn't pretty darn sharp would for the person who isn't proficient at sharpening. If I bought a nice knife from a company that was known for the sharpness of the knives I sure wouldn't want to need to send it right back to get a sharp edge. I know nothing is perfect, it's just a drag to anticipate something, then have to wait another week or two to get it back after sending it back for sharpening. Not the biggest problem in the world, just a drag.

This is just my opinion and not a very edjucated one at that. Just typing out loud. :)

Jack
BAL

Post by BAL »

JNewell wrote:That is not martial arts. Those are guys jockeying for their position in the pre-order lineup for the next sprint. :eek: :D
or it could be a fight off for the elusive Yojimbo 2