My co-workers finally understand the importance of EDC gear

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacTech

My co-workers finally understand the importance of EDC gear

Post by MacTech »

A couple months ago, we hired on two new techs at work, both hard working, intelligent, analytical guys, it's not enough that we can make something work, they share my desire to know *WHY* it broke in the first place and *HOW* the fix worked...

The only flaw here is they were constantly bugging me to borrow my EDC stuff, be it a flashlight, a pocketknife, a set of pliers, or other things

Co-worker #1 was the first to cave, he bought himself a couple of those cheap "Harbour Freight" style half-watt 1 AA flashlights, kept one at his desk, one in his pocket, handy for peering into the darkened innards of laser printers

He also brought in a couple of his old knives, an old TL-29 (IIRC) electricians knife and an old Camillus stockman, which I used the Sharpmaker to put a decent utility edge on, he now has a flashlight and at least one knife on him at all times, and understands how useful they are....

...I'd prefer he carry a better knife (Spydie, of course ; ) ) and flashlight, but it's a starting point for him, given time, I'm sure I can wear his resistance down....

Co-worker #2, OTOH, has jumped on the EDC bandwagon with a zeal that almost eclipses mine....

He started off by saying he wanted a "really nice flashlight, like the ones you carry**" and he wanted me to "hook him up"....
So, I showed him a local E-vendor that was clearing out their inventory of NovaTac Classic 2AA models, and showed him the one I had purchased a couple months ago at that discounted price....

He bought that light off me that afternoon (I have plenty of spares, I picked up the Classic, intending to use the 2AA body on my 120P, but didn't realize how long it would be, so it never really saw much use, it just took up pocket space), a few days later, he said "I really need a nice knife, can you hook me up there, too?"

So. I unpocketed my Spydie Native and Buck 110, he tried 'em both, and liked the 110 better, so he bought that one off me too (I was looking to try out an EcoLite 110 anyway....)

He was now happy, he had a good light and knife, and began carrying them constantly

(The Padawan is learning well, yes!)

Next week, he was enthusing on how handy it was to have a good light and knife at all times, but.....
"I could realy use a light to put on my keychain, you got anything like that...."

One Fenix E01 later..... he's happy, and I have even more spending money....

midweek, we were having a big client visit, so we got to cleaning out the service bay, while cleaning up the shop cart, Co-Worker #2 found my spare Mag 2C cell with the first-gen MagLED bulb.....
"how much you want for this?"
Sold ;)
(i really like this, I get to pawn a bunch of my gently used and "outdated" stuff on him, he learns the importance of EDC stuff, and I get more money to buy newer stuff ;) )

Last week, the conversation went like this;

"I need a small knife to put on my key ring, any ideas?"
I show him my Stainless SpyderEdge Ladybug
"Oh, I don't like serrations, sorry, got any other small knives?"
I told him I'd look....

Over the weekend, I picked up a Ladybug Salt PE (absolutely love the thing :) ), so I show it to him (no, not selling this one, my Precious...Gollum!) he likes it, perfect keychain size...
I show him the SS SE Ladybug again....
"I just don't like serrated edges, sorry"
my response; just give it a try, I'll let you use it 'till the end of the week, then let me know what you think...
I hand him a thick piece of cardboard (double-thick cardboard used for packing computer UPS batteries) and the Ladybug, have him do a test cut with it...

....His eyes bugged wide open and his jaw hit the floor at how easily this diminutive 1" blade cleaved through the double-thick cardboard, and bugged even bigger when he felt the edge and how sharp it was (sideways thumb-drag test, I did warn him and show him the safe way to do it)

I continued; of course, if you don't like serrated edges, you don't have to try it, you know...

He decided to try it....

....a half hour later... "how much for this one?" ;)
Me; I thought you hated serrated edges?
Him; Normally yes, but these just *work*, this thing's amazing...

At the end of the day, he said, without any prompting...
"Russ, I love this little knife, I've used it more than that big Buck I bought off you, this thing's so amazingly useful, and these serrations are incredible, they don't drag or bind or anything!"

I think I've created a monster, I'm running out of stuff to sell to Co-Worker #2, I may have to wean him off the "Russ Supply" and show him how to go it on his own..... I think it's time for him to fly on his own, EDC-wise now

....hmm, maybe I should show him my PE Cricket before I set him out on his own though, as an enticement, 'cause I'm not selling my Cricket for any reason, and let him know that the Cricket is available as a serrated blade... <evil grin>

I think.....I've created a monster here

**my two EDC standbys are an old Fenix L1T 2.0 1AA, and a Novatac 120P, occasionally accompanied by an "Aviatrixed" SureFire A2 Aviator (1 red and 2 white LED Aviatrix ring) and heavily modified SureFire E1 Executive, with a McGizmo reflectored and Seoul P4 emittered SureFire KL-1 head, and a McGizmo tailstanding momentary tailcap
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I need more friends/coworkers like this. Mine are all neanderthals.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I would also enjoy such a coworker. I have plenty of gently-used, high-end tac gear to get rid of.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
angusW

Post by angusW »

Also wish the colleagues were the same. Still getting the "Why do you carry that? Can I borrow it?" :rolleyes:
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

Cool story :)

I'm also fairly new to the EDC and knife scene. In the summer of 2010 i started to become interested in these things. Now 1.5 year later i have allready a nice collection. I haven't converted anybody yet tough.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

you know you sound like a meth dealer, right? :p
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

he needs a SE d'fly salt, they look so nice :D . Maybe a SE ZDP stretch :) . naaah, he needs a para2 ;)
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

Evil D wrote:I need more friends/coworkers like this. Mine are all neanderthals.
No shortage of those around. Got a good laugh the other day when a co-worker tried to cut one of those plastic straps off a copy paper box...with a pair of cheap scissors. He must have hacked away at for for a couple of minutes until the scissors fell apart.

The company has a "no weapons" policy and the guy's a known rat. My combo edge Tenacious eats those straps for dessert but it stayed in my pocket. My boss (who's something of a knife guy himself) and I had a good laugh when I told him the story.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

NYRich wrote:The company has a "no weapons" policy...
It's a darned shame that folks automatically assume that a knife is a "weapon" just because it can be used to cut things. You could probably do a lot more serious damage to someone by stabbing them with that Rat's scissors, but these are "office tools", not weapons...

"All God's Critters Have Knives." :)

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
maded

Post by maded »

Yeap, wish I had more colleagues like that. One girl in my office calls my Dragonfly 2 a "dagger".
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

phillipsted wrote:It's a darned shame that folks automatically assume that a knife is a "weapon" just because it can be used to cut things. You could probably do a lot more serious damage to someone by stabbing them with that Rat's scissors, but these are "office tools", not weapons...

"All God's Critters Have Knives." :)

TedP
Yeah, you really have to wonder sometimes. Scissors, letter openers and even pencils can be used as weapons by someone determined enough. Next they'll be banning shoelaces because they can be used to strangle someone. Note to self....buy extra shoelaces. :D
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

My current workplace has always been pretty knife friendly... but I understand some of your frustrations. I once worked in a call center where someone was fired for bringing a steak knife to work with their lunch. Ironically, days later... someone got upset and tossed the contents of a pot of coffee in a supervisors face, resulting in fairly severe burns and arguably far more significant injuries than could easily be inflicted by a pocket knife. Policies and attitudes regarding dangerous items are rarely logical, and even more rarely helpful. Good to hear that some of you have started winning over some of the cheapo-knife guys and NKPs in your respective workplaces. :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
JD Spydo

EDC: As important as the air we breathe

Post by JD Spydo »

What really blows me away is the mass brainwashing that our American society has allowed themselves to be overtaken with :(

I have literally met at least 3 grown men in the past month who literally believe it's truly a "SIN" to carry a pocketknife :(

But like you all say they don't hesitate to borrow mine when they find a need for one :rolleyes:

And Brother you're so right that an EDC doesn't stop with a pocketknife at all. Actually that's just where it begins because a flashlight ( SUREFIRE spoken here :cool :) , multitool and I even carry one of my Spyderco "Doublestuff" stones with me daily now as well :cool:

It's as though our entire male part of our society has been emasculated :mad:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
MacTech

Post by MacTech »

Today's interaction with co-worker 2;

"I really love this little knife, it's a great little tool"

a few minutes later, he brings over one of the dental pick-type tools** with the tip broken off....

"can you re-sharpen this for me?"

Out comes the Sharpmaker, and using the fishing hook groove, I put a usable utility point on the pick tool in a few minutes...

"Boy, you're prepared for anything, aren't you?"

**we use them to release friction connectors on logic boards
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

JD Spydo wrote:What really blows me away is the mass brainwashing that our American society has allowed themselves to be overtaken with :(

I have literally met at least 3 grown men in the past month who literally believe it's truly a "SIN" to carry a pocketknife :(

But like you all say they don't hesitate to borrow mine when they find a need for one :rolleyes:

And Brother you're so right that an EDC doesn't stop with a pocketknife at all. Actually that's just where it begins because a flashlight ( SUREFIRE spoken here :cool :) , multitool and I even carry one of my Spyderco "Doublestuff" stones with me daily now as well :cool:

It's as though our entire male part of our society has been emasculated :mad:

A sin?

Like iniquity?

What the **** is wrong with the world today?

Anyone who worries about sin enough to define it surely shouldn't be worried about a pocket knife.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Good story,

I gave away a Byrd Raven and a Tenacious to two of our computer hardware tech guys. One of them excitedly showed me his S&W tanto tip whatever he picked up at a gun show a few weeks back. Hopefully, he'll see the light and become a Spydie convert. :)
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder: