Credit Card Advice (Travel)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lionkingZ

Credit Card Advice (Travel)

Post by lionkingZ »

Hi there,

I did do a search and found some overlapping threads, but thought it might be best to start my own to address my own concerns.

I have never owned a credit card before but I am interested in getting one because I think it might be the safest card that I could carry when travelling abroad for a prolonged period of time.

However, as I'm so uneducated in the matter, I don't really know what I should be looking for. What are the main things to look for when getting a card? Will I be limited in choice because of my lack of credit history? Is getting a card for travel a good idea? I was planning on taking the credit card, then paying this amount off immediately from my debit account each month.

Thoughts?

Thank you very much
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hey welcome.

This should be in off topic but I'll take a shot.

Honestly if it's a travel card you main concerns should be international suitability. Asking them if it will be a problem because you have travel plans. What the exchange rate is and if there are any surcharges.

If you plan on paying off the balance each month the interest rate isn't an issue. Annual charges, limit, and perks would be worth comparing.
jossta

Post by jossta »

CapitalOne Venture has decent interest rates, no annual fee, and most importantly, no fee on international transactions. They even wave the 1% charge that Visa/Mastercard would deduct. Also get miles rewards.

I literally just got one solely for travelling.

IMO, the key things to look for are: low interest rate, no annual fee and whatever kind of rewards you want.

I'm not really too interested in getting miles as my rewards, but I really wanted to not have the fees while travelling.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Some very good suggestions though there is one thing I dont quite understand.

This is lionkings first post?

And do we really have that many overlapping threads on credit card travel ?

Anyways, welcome to the forums.
Come Join Us Click Here
jossta

Post by jossta »

Lol, I didn't catch that. Very curious.

Post by 224477 »

Mate, seems like you have chosen an incorrect forum... Spyderco is about knives, not credit cards, those only get charged when you buy a knife.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Wrong forum for this but what the heck, I'll provide some info:

Credit cards are great, even in the US, as long as you pay off your balance in full every month. That way you avoid their usurious interest charges. I've used credit cards for the majority of my spending for over 30 years and I've never paid one penny in interest. Also many cards w/o any annual fee offer cash back reward programs, or programs that reward you with miles that can be used for free air fare. So you can make money by using the right credit cards wisely. Also, if you ever want to rent a car, I think you must have a credit card. I really can't imagine not ever having had a credit card unless you are very young, which perhaps you are.

Almost all credit cards charge hefty foreign transaction fees for charges made outside of the U.S. (or one's home country). However, there are a few cards that do not. Capital One's credit cards are the one company I am currently aware of that still does not charge any foreign transaction fees, so I always use their card when traveling abroad. They also offer a 1% cash back reward on all transactions through their rewards program.

In addition to the foreign transaction fee (that Cap One doesn't charge), most Visa/MC credit cards also add a small fee to the exchange rate for currency conversion when one buys things in a foreign currency. The amount they charge for currency conversion can vary depending on the card issuer, however, Visa/MC themselves only charge 1% unless something has changed since the last time I researched this. Cap One doesn't charge this fee either iirc. Also generally Visa/MC credit cards provide excellent exchange rates (if you can avoid the above mentioned fees). Usually they are better than what you could get at a bank in a foreign country.

However, cash advance fees that credit cards charge are expensive, so one doesn't want to use a credit card to get hard cash in a foreign country unless absolutely necessary.

The best strategy, imo, is to use a Cap One card for all purchases and payments that one can overseas. And you still can even earn 1% cash back rewards on those transactions via their cash back rewards program and you get visa/mc's excellent exchange rates on those purchases or charges.

Then also get an account and ATM card from a bank that doesn't charge ATM fees in foreign countries (there are a few out there, e.g., some credit unions and USAA Federal Bank), and use your fee free ATM card to get cash from ATMs in foreign countries for expenses that can't be paid with a credit card.

That's basically the way I do it and it is based on having done a lot of research to figure out ways to save money.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
markg

Post by markg »

Just tell the card issuer where you will be (countires) before you go or else they will not allow the card to be used there... Simple call to customer service. Does not matter what card you have, as long as it is VISA/Mastercard et al. Most will work international.