New member/first purchase help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

New member/first purchase help

Post by Popsickle »

I am new to the forums and have always loved knives but never took the leap into making a decent purchase. Looking at all the different blade companies spyderco is hands down my favorite but i am having trouble deciding on which knife to purchase first. As of right now i want to purchase 2 out of a list of favorites i have come up with; the Military, Caly3, Manix2, Native, endura4. Anyone care to help me with my first purchase decision?

Also, When i search google to find a decent price on any of the knives listed above there are certain websites that come up with prices that almost seem too good to be true.....could anyone shed any light on which sites are legit and which are not?
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Endura 4. It's been a flagship of Spyderco for 20 years now, has an available trainer if you get squirrelly later, is fairly inexpensive from a whole slew of reputable websites, and is the knife that any other knife purchase should be weighed against.

Bang for buck ratio with an Endura is completely ridiculous. You won't be disappointed. :)
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

Hi and welcome. I carry a FRN foliage green 1/2 serrated endura daily. The serrations are there for the tough stuff with plenty of belly on the blade for the fine stuff. You can find one on e-bay for about 55.00 or so. I would get an endura in your pocket while you think about your next one. ;) Take care.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

+1 on the Endura. There are lots of reputable online dealers out there... but I am kinda old school. I prefer brick and mortar shops where I can get my grubby little hands on whatever I want to buy. I pay a few bucks extra as a result, but what are you gonna do. The only place online I really go to is amazon.com... they tend to have pretty good deals, and I don't have to worry about them being legit. I know a lot of people here troll ebay for REALLY good deals as well. I think you are wise to avoid the "too good to be true" bargains though... Spyderco is an oft knock-offed company. Finally, welcome to the addiction, and the forums!
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I wsh I could find a store that sold spyderco here in myrtle beach... but seems none exist.
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

If you are looking for legitimate online dealers then you can go with any of these. They are in no particular order but they are all good to deal with.

Knife Works
Knife Center
Cutlery Shoppe
New Graham Knives
Grand Prairie Knives
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

ill also endorse the endura 4. i have added to my collection of spyderco`s allot since my endura, but try as i might its still a favorite carry do-all workin knife. if not that go with a standard stretch in vg10. a little smaller and more ergo`s . as much as i like s30v and my G Bradley in m4 i just love how easy vg-10 steel is to maintain a great edge. all that said you cant really go to far wrong with any you listed and i doubt if any of those would make you unhappy.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Can't go wrong with an Endura. I would also suggest the Manix2, it's built like a tank, great ergos, and comes in at a very attractive price if you shop around.

I'm spoiled, I live only 45 minutes from the SFO, but for on-line dealers, I've had good luck with BladeHQ.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I tend to agree on Endura4 and Manix2. The endura is the quintessential :spyder: knife and the Manix is just a tank. I love my Manixes.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Personally, I would go with the Military and a Caly3. You can experience different size knives, different style blades and different types of steel. Pretty much anything you could want a pocket knife to do, can be covered by those two.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Manix 2, just much more fun than an Endura for a very few dollars more.

I was in Charleston '62 - '69. I'll bet Myrtle Beach has changed a lot. (although I hope it hasn't) Haven't been back that way since the 70's. One of these years . . .
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Another one who thinks the Endura is a great choice to start out with. I would recommend one of the full flat ground plain edge versions with the colorful handles. Also, because it is relatively inexpensive, you can practice sharpening on it and not feel too bad about wasting some steel learning, (although you could also use even cheaper knives for that).

After that, I would say get a Para Military 2 and a Caly 3.5. Those two are, imo, among Spyderco's best regular production models, and are also great values. Both are very different knives, both are awesome, imo.

And also it would be a good idea to get a Sharpmaker to keep them sharp.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Definitely get the Manix 2. No question. I flip flopped between the Manix 2 and the Delica 4 FFG as my first Spyderco, ended up going with the Manix 2, and I have no regrets. I got the Delica 4 later on, and I never really liked it as much as the Manix. It doesn't really compare.

For the second one, I'd go with either the Caly 3, or the Military, depending on if you want another large, hard use knife (Military) alongside the Manix, or a lighter, more compact knife (Caly). Which Caly 3 are you looking at getting? The carbon fiber handle version, or the G-10 handle version?
Sequimite wrote:Manix 2, just much more fun than an Endura for a very few dollars more.
This basically sums up my thought about the Manix 2.
EDCTAC

Post by EDCTAC »

I agree with everyone, my first was an endura 4 CE and I also have a manix 2. Most days I edc the manix, today I just so happened to go with the endura.
:spyder:My mind is the sharpest weapon I have, my spyderco is the second!;)
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

The Endura 4 was my first Spyderco and I really liked it. I feel that the Delica has a bit better sized blade for me, but if you like/need a larger blade the Endura is great! Go for the FFG version. I have had great service (free priority shipping too!) from Howe's Knife Shop.
aedmband21

Post by aedmband21 »

Goodluck on your choices. Don't worry, you'll have all 5 that you listed within the next year anyways. Spyderco is addictive!

I say you should get the endura FFG. As your collection grows, black gets boring.

Then I would say either the Para2 or the manix. I recently got the para2 in digicam and I can't put it down! And now I'm patiently awaiting the translucent blue manix.

I buy some of the older spyderco classics off Amazon because of the free supersaver shipping and low prices, but I also would suggest knifecenter and knifeworks for the newer models.

My local knife shop is an old man that only likes Kershaw and Benchmade so I can't really get my spydies from him.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome jrwrick......You have a world of options. :)

I'd go with a Delica first, any flavor, just to see what the least expensive Spydies are like. Move on from there :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
dwong

Post by dwong »

+1, caly3 will melt in your hand.
A.P.F. wrote:Personally, I would go with the Military and a Caly3. You can experience different size knives, different style blades and different types of steel. Pretty much anything you could want a pocket knife to do, can be covered by those two.
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jwrickma24,
Welcome to the Forum, enjoy your stay.
Anyway, it is too late for you to run, bug already bit you. :)

For several years I am buying from New Graham and absolutely satisfied. Also purchased several times from Knife Center, Grand Prairie, Sierra Trading post and can recomend them as well. Still NGK are the best customer service. Love them.
A.P.F. wrote:Personally, I would go with the Military and a Caly3. You can experience different size knives, different style blades and different types of steel. Pretty much anything you could want a pocket knife to do, can be covered by those two.
+1
I certainly would go with these two. If you still decide to buy Endura, get full flat grind.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

jwrickma24 wrote:I am new to the forums and have always loved knives but never took the leap into making a decent purchase. Looking at all the different blade companies spyderco is hands down my favorite but i am having trouble deciding on which knife to purchase first. As of right now i want to purchase 2 out of a list of favorites i have come up with; the Military, Caly3, Manix2, Native, endura4. Anyone care to help me with my first purchase decision?

Also, When i search google to find a decent price on any of the knives listed above there are certain websites that come up with prices that almost seem too good to be true.....could anyone shed any light on which sites are legit and which are not?
Can you tell us what your primary use for the knives would be? That might give us a better idea of what to suggest. I have knives for pocket carry, food prep, garage/yard use, collecting and office use. Different features are important depending on use. How are you setup for sharpening?
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder: