Jason Breeden designs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
slice22358

Jason Breeden designs

Post by slice22358 »

As all of you know, the Captain is really a love it or hate it knife. I for one love it dearly, and would really like to see some more of Jason's designs. The ergonomics fit my hand perfectly, and the unusual blade shape is just my style. Besides the call for a new Breeden, just a friendly reminder to the Spydercrew about a CE Captain :p
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I'm not a "big knife" collector (I stick to lil' spydies), but I've always liked the Captain's look and feel as well.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Here's got another unusual one in the prototype stage. IIRC it was called the Rescue or something similar. FG G10 handles, liner lock with an overall profile similar to the Kershaw "Needs Work" but completely different. If that makes any sense. :rolleyes:
anson argyris

Post by anson argyris »

spoonrobot wrote:l similar to the Kershaw "Needs Work"
So , it's a sort of Wharncliffe ? :confused:

Post by 224477 »

The Captain is one of the knives I never get into.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I love the captain as well.

It's closer to a hawkbill than a wharncliffe or recurve (based on the arc). The handle ergos are great and it's a very smooth knife. I'm a huge fan but it's the worst letter opener in my small collection. :) I enjoy push cuts with the tip and using the recurve for pull cuts. It lacks a pointed tip but makes up for it with tip strength. Catch 22 I guess.

Why do I like it? Because it confuses knife people and befuddles NKP's. Confusing people is my favorite past time and well worth the money spent. Gotta have 1 freak in your collection!
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I love my captain and i carry it all the time,it also makes a great skinning knife.
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

Blerv wrote:I love the captain as well.

It's closer to a hawkbill than a wharncliffe or recurve (based on the arc). The handle ergos are great and it's a very smooth knife. I'm a huge fan but it's the worst letter opener in my small collection. :) I enjoy push cuts with the tip and using the recurve for pull cuts. It lacks a pointed tip but makes up for it with tip strength. Catch 22 I guess.

Why do I like it? Because it confuses knife people and befuddles NKP's. Confusing people is my favorite past time and well worth the money spent. Gotta have 1 freak in your collection!
Wow that's one of my favorite hobbies too :D
Feeding the addiction

spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

anson argyris wrote:So , it's a sort of Wharncliffe ? :confused:
Sorta. Kinda like a Sheepsfoots/Wharncliffe if I remember right. It had the fingers slightly higher than the blade too, similar to the Kershaw I mentioned.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It has two distinctive blade shapes: a recurve and a chisel-knose drop-point with alot of belly. Because of the handle and the recurve it acts very much like a wharny because of all the neg blade angle.

Technically to be a wharncliffe like the "Needs Work" the blade would have a straight blade edge and an absence of belly. These normally leave a 30 to 90 degree angle up to the spine via a swedge or straight line.

From my understanding, a sheepsfoot has a very small belly and takes some of that extreme angle off the tip. A good example is the Rock Lobster or the BM grip that has the thumb hole.

To use the tip on the Captain takes a much more contorted wrist angle and I tend to use the belly or where it meets the recurve (the 2nd point). A wharn/sheeps would be akin to a box cutter and in many cases quite a bit more easy.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

spoonrobot wrote:Sorta. Kinda like a Sheepsfoots/Wharncliffe if I remember right. It had the fingers slightly higher than the blade too, similar to the Kershaw I mentioned.
I've actually wanted to handle that "Needs Work" because of the handle shape. It seems much more natural for chores and more like an angled Yojimbo.

My guess is it would be much heavier than it should be and the flipper isn't really my thing. Nice design tho. :)
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Blerv wrote:*snip*.
Sorry, I was talking about a Breeden prototype called the "Rescue", not his other design; the Captain.

Took me a minute to make sure I wasn't losing my mind! :p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

No *snip* meant :) I completely missed your reference to the "Rescue". Editing my tangent accordingly. Lol.
Shazam

Captain

Post by Shazam »

I rather like the captain - its fast becoming a great kitchen utility cutter, unfortunately mine is getting discolouration in the blade .. rather dissapointing for VG-10 :(

:spyder: Spyderco-aholic
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Shazam wrote:I rather like the captain - its fast becoming a great kitchen utility cutter, unfortunately mine is getting discolouration in the blade .. rather dissapointing for VG-10 :(
Kitchen fluids are a test for any steel. Folders prob more so because there are more places to stay dirty.

I'm sure a bit of polish would clean it up nicely. You might ask around tho...I've never done it.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I like his designs, but it's too bad Spyderco won't put serrations on any of them. They would be a lot more appealing to me if they did.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
yuldeli

Post by yuldeli »

Not real crazy about the Captain, but I do like the look of the Rescue prototype. It is on my list for a "test drive" at my local shop when it is released.
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

wow this was certainly brought back from the depths :eek: I don't even remember starting this thread :p
Feeding the addiction

Creepo

Post by Creepo »

slice22358 wrote:wow this was certainly brought back from the depths :eek: I don't even remember starting this thread :p
Ooooo, a zombie thread. It's aliiiiive! :D
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!!!!!!! GET OUT THE ASSAULT RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS, MAKE A SUPPLY RUN AND THEN SEAL THE HOUSE, AND ABSOLUTELY NOBODY SAY THE WORDS, "I'll be right back"!!!!!

oh um, uh sorry got a little carried away :o
Feeding the addiction