The first post for the Sharpening Subforum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
unit

The first post for the Sharpening Subforum

Post by unit »

OK I know the sub-forum does not yet exist, but I have gotten some positive feedback on this video elsewhere, so I thought I would share it here.

This is a visual demonstration of how to know when you have reached the edge and effectively begun to sharpen a knife. Also know as, The Sharpie Trick. The method is demonstrated with hones, but there is zero difference if you are using ceramics...even if they are in the Sharpmaker.

This is perhaps the most fundamental tip in sharpening...you must hone all the way to the edge to make the knife sharp. This video may help.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mvl-Y5bZwtw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mvl-Y5bZwtw&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
marcus1

Post by marcus1 »

But does this work when you have a micro/back bevel (30 deg, then 40 deg)?
As when I tried the sharpie trick on my new slightly used Millie, I found that only the very edge had the black removed when using the 40 deg setting and Fine rods in my SM.

I'm guess that is suppose to happen...?
1. Endura Black G2 SE, 2. Endura4 VG-10 SE, 3. Endura4 ZDP SE, 4. Caly3 ZDP PE, 5. Manix2 154CM CE, 6. Manix2 HXP FFG PE, 7. Delica ZDP SE, 8. Tasman Salt SE, 9. Ladybug VG-10 SE, 10. Byrd Crossbill, 11. Military S30V CE, 12. Blue Rescue 93mm FRN, 13. Grey Delica VG-10 FFG, 14. Blue Endura4 VG-10 FFG!
jackknifeh

Perfect start

Post by jackknifeh »

Hello,
Using a marker on the edge is very useful as a sharpening technique. I've been sharpening my own knives all my life and only in the past couple of years known about the marker. Here are a couple of things that may interest some people about sharpening;

1. Different types of edges, serrated vs plain of course, then there are micro serrations, what angle to put on a knife for particular uses, types of steel and how that will effect sharpening decisions, etc.

2. Different types of edges can be illustrated in a good set of kitchen knives. You may want micro serrations on some knives and a polished mirror edge on others. That holds true for different knife uses as well. Examples would be camping/hunting, woodworking, cutting mostly rope, etc.

In the past 4 - 5 years I've researched, learned and practiced a lot about sharpening knives. The more I learn the more I realize there is to know about the subject. I'm looking forward to this forum to get knowledge from lots of people with varied experiences. Great idea for a topic.

Later,
Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

ONE THING EVERYONE SHOULD BE ON THE SAME PAGE ABOUT:

When speaking of the edge angle and stating 20 degrees; does that mean 20 degrees on each side for a total angle of 40 degrees at the edge? Or does it mean 10 degrees on each side for an edge of 20 degrees at the edge? When I say 20 degrees I mean 20 degrees on each side and I set my sharpener at 20 degrees. Other people I've talked to view the use of 20 degrees means 10 degrees on each side. Whichever terminology is used we all need to be aware of this issue to head off any misunderstanding in discussions. Just a thought.

Jack
swanseajack

Post by swanseajack »

The marker pen trick I use allready, but that hone angle contraption is fabulous!
I'm going to make one 8>)
swanseajack

Post by swanseajack »

jackknifeh wrote:ONE THING EVERYONE SHOULD BE ON THE SAME PAGE ABOUT:

When speaking of the edge angle and stating 20 degrees; does that mean 20 degrees on each side for a total angle of 40 degrees at the edge? Or does it mean 10 degrees on each side for an edge of 20 degrees at the edge? When I say 20 degrees I mean 20 degrees on each side and I set my sharpener at 20 degrees. Other people I've talked to view the use of 20 degrees means 10 degrees on each side. Whichever terminology is used we all need to be aware of this issue to head off any misunderstanding in discussions. Just a thought.

Jack
Very true. We should say XX degrees inclusive to make sure we don't accidently mislead readers.
unit

Post by unit »

swanseajack wrote:The marker pen trick I use allready, but that hone angle contraption is fabulous!
I'm going to make one 8>)
I have a video for that too! And yes, it does work like a charm. I highly recommend trying one out.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXhrqfV5jvs&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXhrqfV5jvs&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

swanseajack

Post by swanseajack »

Thanks Ken, I've got some nice White Oak for that little project!
Marcus
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I love that adjustable wedge!!!!

I have been thinking about making a similiar device, but I like your design a lot better than what was in my head!

Thanks for sharing!

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
swanseajack

Post by swanseajack »

I didn't realize it was Ken in the video!
double thanks Ken
unit

Post by unit »

swanseajack wrote:I didn't realize it was Ken in the video!
double thanks Ken
You are very welcome,

Ken, a.k.a. unit, a.k.a. ewerstruly

P.S. if you click that video link below, you can see all of my videos if you want. There is a Spyderco in all but perhaps two of them.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

unit

Post by unit »

I love my Spyderco knives but I always had sharpening issues near the choil so I figured out a way to deal with it. Hope some of you find this useful!
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMvE-b4259A&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMvE-b4259A&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

swanseajack

Post by swanseajack »

Good stuff Ken.
I think I'll be bookmarking you videos!
cheers Marcus
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I have to get the material to make that angle jig next weekend. Same concept as the sharpmaker, only horizontal, one sided and adjustable. Maybe I'll get the top slab milled to accept the sharpmaker so I can use it for a stone. Appreciate the idea Unit, thanks :)

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
swanseajack

Post by swanseajack »

I've just had a flash of inspiration! I've got a 1 inch long rectangular spirit level. If this was stuck to the side (top side while honing) of the blade, you could see if you where truely keeping the blade horizontal.
unit

Post by unit »

dbcad wrote:I have to get the material to make that angle jig next weekend. Same concept as the sharpmaker, only horizontal, one sided and adjustable. Maybe I'll get the top slab milled to accept the sharpmaker so I can use it for a stone. Appreciate the idea Unit, thanks :)

Charlie
I simply lay my sharpmaker on the wedge and use the top storage slots to hold the rods. I show this in my salt reprofiling video but I am sure you get the idea without watching that whole thing.

Thanks
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)