who got their mule(s) today?? +review

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Slick

Post by Slick »

Mine came today. It is very nice. It reminds me of the Lil'Temp leaf blade, R2, Temperance, etc. It really looks like a Spyderco mule. The thing is begging for scales. It is just that nice.

It is very sharp but not overly sharp. I hope the edge geometry and heat treat are fairly tough. The sharpest knives tend to not hold up as well as I'd like. This one looks to be a user.
Not really all that slick ;)
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

anyone use their mule a lot and resharpen yet?

i had lots of extra boxes, and did a few hundred cuts in cardboard (should have counted exactly how many... i'd guess around 200), trying to be sure to use the entire length of the edge. at first it was like a sled through snow, but after a whoooole lot of cuts, i started to notice a little bit of drag/resistance. tried shaving telephone book paper, and it was noticeably less efficient than it was out of the box, catching and tearing a bit instead of seperating it like magic. still, it seemed sharp and slice-happy enough to smoothly cut a bag of potatoes into french fries in a jiffy... though not sharp enough to shave a bag of potatoes into telephone book paper. more than sharp enough for an EDC work knife, but no longer sharp enough for "parlor tricks" (as the deacon calls them).

gave it about 5 really light swipes per side on the sharpmaker, then tried again... a little better, but still noticed the slightest drag. ran the blade over a fine stone VERY lightly to remove stressed material on the edge, swiped it a few more times per side on the fine stones, then polished the edge up a bit with a strop... back to a sharpness level similar to that achieved at the factor.

just started using the technique of removing stressed material on the edge... seems to do wonders for getting ZDP laser sharp again... also seems to work extremely well on the 52100. maybe this technique is needed for steels with a higher RC?

thus far, i've just tried touching up / maintaining the factory edge... haven't given it the microbevel "tooth" i give my EDC mili or dragonfly. (learned this trick from vampyrwolf -- the microbevel makes a super sharp edge horrifyingly aggressive). i think after i use and test the knife more, i'll end up configuring the edge to my own, personal "style" -- for now though, i'm continuing to test with the spyderfactory edge... :D

it's an awesome blade... AMAZING. and for the price, ASTONISHING. i ordered a second mule the day i received my first... and am looking forwards greatly to mules in other steels.