Spyderco Native's blade big enough for self defense?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

Joe Talmadge wrote:
I don't think you'll find people in thrusting styles who think 3" isn't enough. Longer is better, but 3" is sufficient. There are guys who go around talking about a minimum of 4"-5", but at this point it seems to be just a random number some people throw out, who haven't looked at what happens when a knife hits.

Joe
:spyder: Right you are, Joe. I was referancing something I read by James Keating who carrys blades with the intent to defend himself from large animals as well as two legged critters. He said 5 inches was a minimum for mountian lion or bear!! :eek: Gotta love Jim Keating, he's out there. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Stenny

Post by Stenny »

I think priorities go like this:
1) have the knife on you all the time, otherwise Murphy will ensure you won't have it when it's needed. Before somebody asks, no, I don't shower with knives.
2) be skilled enough to be able to get it into action quickly
3) have a fair idea "what do you want to do" with it.
The blade lenght didn't enter the contest yet.
If you aren't expecting to lop somebody's arm off with it, Native is more than enough.
...but no, no, you know it all, it's harmless little bunny...
flyer35

Post by flyer35 »

Another thing to keep in mind is the local regulations on blade length.

Rob
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
~ Sir Winston Churchill
markg

Post by markg »

Personally, I get creeped out by the 50/50 choil on the Native, if I was going to use it for "stabbing." IMHO I like them on working knives, defensive knives they concern me a bit.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

OuchThatsSharp wrote:Check out this site for a review on the Native.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/ ... iverev.htm
Did you realize that this thread was over 2 years old?

:D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Axlis wrote:The only thing I would be concerned about with the Native in a SD situation is it's harder to access spyderhole. Not only is it a small one, but it is a little blocked by the handle.
Axlis, have you by chance found a workaround for this? Is there some way to maybe loosen the blade?
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Stenny

Post by Stenny »

I think there isn't. The only thing that works (and I know about it so far) is Dremel-magic - either grinding off a bit of the handle , to "unblock" the hole and make a thumb ramp to guide it into the hole, or waving the blade. But that looks fugly, and I mean it...
...but no, no, you know it all, it's harmless little bunny...
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

DL, yes I know it's an old thread. But evidently there are people still checking it out.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Fatboy

Post by Fatboy »

I just received one on Friday the Native II PE and I love it. Now the wife wants one.
:spyder:
:spyder: Collector # 185
65 Spydies and counting
KaliGman

Knife for Defense

Post by KaliGman »

Get the knife that feels best in your hand and that you will actually carry (few cops will carry a huge knife for any length of time, especially considering all the gear that is already being carried).

Get some training. I won't tell you how many times I have seen relatively unskilled students in my Kali class or when I was teaching officer survival at a police academy who, when armed with rubber training knives, "cut" themselves when trying to fend off a partner that I had instructed to be a determined aggressor. When it gets fast and close, unless you are used to using a blade, you can cut yourself pretty badly (hit your off hand or arm while trying to block an attack and counterattack with a cut to your opponent, etc.). I have seen defanging the snake work in real time, but only with very skilled practioners. OTOH, one of the best thrusts I ever saw was conducted by a totally untrained woman who angled a pair of scissors between the ribs of her opponent just as neat as you please. Sometimes, I guess, it is better to be lucky than good.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I will echo the comments to get a knife that feels good in your hand and can be held onto...the Native will work fine for thrusting....For me I like a larger blade but 3" can and will reach major organs if the thrust is heavy enough....when it comes to slashing I don't think it matters what size blade you use....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Xplo

Post by Xplo »

Dunno about exposing the hole, but I can flick my Native open with a fair amount of reliability (and effort.. no subtle move). Ziptie wave mod comes to mind too, though I haven't done that and have no idea how well it would work.
Qship

Post by Qship »

Smudge wrote:I am looking for a somewhat cheap and durable knife to carry for, among other reasons, the possible use of self defense. I am looking at the. I have noticed that the cutting edge on this blade is only a little larger than 2.50" and that the entire blade is just over 3".
The Native is about 1/8 of an inch too long to be legal in some jurisdictions. Some judicious shortening might be prudent. Bear in mind that, because of the compressible nature of soft tissue, a knife can make a stab wound quite a bit deeper than its length.

Qship