a question for handgun nuts

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
markIVbigblock

a question for handgun nuts

Post by markIVbigblock »

I have a few a ruger p85, p89, redhawk, and gp100 and have been looking for a semi auto in .40 and have been looking at the H&K fullsize p2000 does anyone have one or have experience with it? is it worth the money? I also stumbled upon a steyr m40-A1 which I had never seen before does anyone have any opinions or experience with this gun? Thanks.

Aaron
come on everyone lets try and get Sal to bring back the Q!!!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I've never tried the M series Steyr pistols, but my dad has an S series... I don't remember if thats the little brother or the big brother... and he likes it quite a bit. Have you considered the Glock 23? My pops also has that in .40 and he carries it everywhere. I think the two are similar to the point of being virtually identical, except that the Glock might have a larger mag capacity (not that thats a problem that couldn't be fixed by buying an aftermarket magazine). I'd help out more if I could, but I am a notoriously terrible shot with a pistol so I avoid them for the most part... I like my guns long and my targets far away. :D Good luck, I think you'll be happy with whatever you pick up.

PS How has your experience with those Rugers been? The first of two pistols I ever owned was a Ruger semi auto, and I didn't like it much... there was too much play in the slide and it was somewhat prone to malfunction (not quite enough to call it a lemon... but enough to irritate the crap out of me, you know?). I've always bet that the wheel guns are much better.

Edit: Here, found some websites on tech info for the G23 and the Steyr... turns out the standard mag capacity for the Glock is one round over the Steyr, but everything else is pretty comparable. And, the S series is the subcompact version of the M.

Steyr

Glock
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Don't waste your money...just go purchase a Sig Sauer in 40 Caliber and forget about it....money well spent IMHO.....Ruger makes great wheelguns...semi-autos is another story, don't like H&K either...I'd rather have a Glock, and I don't really like them either....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

markIVbigblock wrote:I have a few a ruger p85, p89, redhawk, and gp100 and have been looking for a semi auto in .40 and have been looking at the H&K fullsize p2000 does anyone have one or have experience with it? is it worth the money? I also stumbled upon a steyr m40-A1 which I had never seen before does anyone have any opinions or experience with this gun? Thanks.

Aaron
Aaron, I don't have a P2000, but I have a USP. From what I can gather, they're fairly similar.

I've owned Sigs, S&Ws, Glocks, and other handguns, all were excellent. But I must say that the various H&Ks that I've owned over the years were the most accurate handguns of the bunch, consistantly. Also utterly reliable.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Qship

Post by Qship »

You might want to be cautious about the Steyr.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htproc ... 60112.aspx

Steyr sold sniper rifles that ended up in the hands of terrorists, and the US government is not amused. Steyr canceled out of the Shot Show, and there is some speculation that they will be banned, or restricted, from doing business in the US.

If the gun breaks, parts might be a problem. Even without that problem, Steyr has had problems with distributors, and parts have been very difficult to get at times.

Qship
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Thanks for the heads up Q, I am gonna send that to my dad.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
markIVbigblock

Post by markIVbigblock »

thanks guys,

Jordan, I have looked at glocks and i dont know im not such a big fan of them they just dont feel right in my hand but thanks for the input on steyr i had never handled or experienced one of their guns before so its good to hear someone likes it how has reliability been with it? oh and as for your ruger question IMO they make the best revolvers on the market right now. both of mine are double action and i love them and i have shot several buddies blackhawks, vaqueros, and single sixes which are single action that were just as nice as my double action guns. Their semis i think get a bum rap I love mine never had any problems no jams or stovepiping or FTFs and mine are quite accurate (and i fire some cheap ammunition im a college student so im kinda on a budget) so for the price i think they are an excellent choice I wouldnt hesitate to buy another except i want something different.

Dr snubnose, your right about those sigs they are sweet guns and i want one bad but I wanted their stainless model which they have dropped from their line now but I have my eye on a few CPO ones that are in nice shape.

JimD, thanks for the input everyone says their overpriced but no one seems to have anything else bad to say about them so hopefully sometime after my tax refund ill have one in my possesion.

Qship, thanks for the info I did not know about that I may have to look into that further.

Aaron
come on everyone lets try and get Sal to bring back the Q!!!
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

markIVbigblock wrote:.

JimD, thanks for the input everyone says their overpriced but no one seems to have anything else bad to say about them so hopefully sometime after my tax refund ill have one in my possesion.

Aaron
I got three out of four of the H&Ks I've owned used. The used ones were just as good as the new one I'd gotten. The difference: you can find used ones at gunshops a lot of times for pretty reasonable prices.

And don't sell Glocks short - they kinda grow on you after a while. Many people don't like them at first, but after they grow accustomed to them, they love 'em. They're definitely reliable.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
moeman

Post by moeman »

I have a Springfield Armory XD40 and am very happy with it.
fitmy had better than Glock or the USP.
i miss my P7 :(
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

As a major "gun geek" I guess I'll weigh in too.
Double-Action Auto:
1. Sig-Sauer- what else do I need to say??
2. Glock- not technically DA but close enough. best bang for your buck.
3. Hk- only reason it's #3 is cost
4. Kahr- think heavy Glock. accurate and dependable
5. Springfield Armory XP- bastardized combo of various pistol operating systems. Jury is still out on it. Like a glock, you either love it or hate it. I have not finalized my opinion yet.

Single Action Auto: (1911 type)
1. Kimber- All USA made quality.
2. Springfield- Quality, but manufactured in Brazil.
3. Smith & Wesson- could not hack it in D/A but the S/A is nice.
4. Colt- made with whatever they sweep up off the floor these days. Quality since 97-98 has been off and on. I would not even bother.

I won't bother with revolvers although S&W and Taurus both make them in .40.

If it is going to be a carry piece run at least 500 to 750 rounds through it to familiarize yourself with the controls and its shooting characteristics, bare minimum. And buy quality leather for it, it makes carrying much more comfortable.

If you cannot find one local, check CDNN.com they deal in alot of new and rebuilt police firearms ("factory rebuilt, not by a backyard 'smith"). Your local shop should be willing to order one from them for you for a $25-$30 handling
fee.

Good Luck Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
britales

Post by britales »

Bigkahunasix hit it right on the head! I'm a single action auto guy and his list is right there! I would just amend it by saying First Generation Kimbers are superior in my estimation! You can find them used and they are utterly reliable!
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!;)