Please explain to me, simply, the Delica generations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
peacefuljeffrey

Please explain to me, simply, the Delica generations

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I know the Delica 4. (Don't have one yet, but I know what differentiates it.)

I have some old Delicas with integral plastic clips. I imagine those are the Delica 1s.

What differentiates the Delica 2 and 3?

Here is my guess: The 2 is the one that started to have the metal clip; and the 3 is the one that had the Boye detente on the backlock.

Is this correct, or are there different delineations between the 4 generations of Delicas?

Thanks!

-Jeffrey
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

You want an simple answer:

Delica 1 = FRN, molded clip, tip up - right
Delica 2 = SS, screwed clip (former SKU C43!), tip up/down - right, with and without Boye dent
Delica 3 = FRN, screwed clip, tip up - left/right, with and without Boye dent
Delica 4 = FRN + SS, screwed clip - 4 way, with Boye dent
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Bodieism

Post by Bodieism »

I was thinking there was only 3 generations of Delica's but I'm no expert so I'm probably wrong. I think the Delica 2 was called that b/c it referred to the number of carry options which is what made it different from the first generation.
-- Bodie

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione!

Post by 224477 »

OK, my version:
FRNs

Delica 1st Gen. - molded RH clip, blade in whether G2 or AUS 8, hollow grind,
without Boye dent

Delica 2nd Gen. - barrel bolt ambi metal clip, clip not nested, hollow grind in ATS-55, without Boye dent (?)

Delica 3rd. Gen.
- barrel bolt ambi metal clip, clip is nested, saber flat grind in VG10, Boye dent

Delica 4th. Gen. - 3 screw four way clip, nested liners in body, saber flat grind in VG10, Boye dent

Stainless models

Delica II - AUS6 hollow ground blade, tip up/down RH clip, 1st without Boye dent, later with it.
Delica IV - VG10 hollow ground blade (?) four way ambi clip, Boye dent
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Think we may have to wait for Sal, Joyce, or Kristi on this one to be absolutely sure. Although Peter or Jan may very well be correct, IIRC there were two "generations" with the molded plastic clip, the second being an improvement in the clip itself. So my theory of "Delica family history" would have those as the first and second generations, the barrel bolt clip version as the third, and finally the current all screw construction and four way clip version as Generation 4.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

Seems, though, that the "4" is the first generation to actually have the generation number actually printed on the knife (i.e. on the handle). It's not like the 3 said "Delica 3" on it. The ones I've had said "Clipit Delica," I think.

-Jeffrey
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
markg

Post by markg »

I am with Deacon... The plastic clip did evolve... The earliest ones I had, were skinny, they then seemed to widen.
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

Be interesting to see what Spyderco considers "Generations" and what they consider tune-ups of current generations (ala Chinook II and Chinook II flat grind). What most of you call delica III, Spyderco called Delica 98 at the time it was introduced. I still call the previous generation delica 98 & endura 98 out of habit.

Joe
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

WOTANSON1 wrote:here's a thread on BF to clarify

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=410631
Interesting thread, does not directly answer the generations question, but does explain the "why" of the relatively uncommon AUS-8 FRN Delicas.

As far as the generations issue, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward Peter's theory - plastic clip, stainless version (which was, after all, called the Delica II), barrel bolt version, and screw construction version. But still think the only way we will ever know Spyderco's logic for the D4 and E4 designations will be if one of the Spydercrew posts it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

That's an interesting observation Joe. The truth of the matter is that, as a small company, we've not really paid much attention to "documenting" the refinements with regards to generations of modifications. We've only just recently begun greater focus on what to call the changes.

Our philosphy has always been, "when you find an improvement, improve it".

We've done minor changes on the lock of the Chinook & Manixi several times as we "dial in" our best effort.

We're always "improving" or "refining" (evolving?). We've been changing or adding "Jimping" quite a bit lately as we "refine" models. We just do it as a matter of daily R & D. Many of the changes are minor, eg; a change in material or a different washer. With more than 100 models betrween Spyderco and byrd there are always several changes occuring.

"Tis a puzzlement".

sal
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

The Deacon wrote:... the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward Peter's theory - plastic clip, stainless version (which was, after all, called the Delica II), barrel bolt version, and screw construction version...
Trust me, it is not my theory, it is my knowledge as interested collector :D (an example - see Spyderco Story page 53 - "in late 1996 the Delica II appeared, the first time a steel-handle Clipit was derived from a model that originated in FRN" ).
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I thought it went like this:

Delica I = Plastic molded clip with pinned construction. Mine had Gin-1 steel. The butt of the knife was more rounded.

Delica II = Stainless knife with 3 clip screws holding the clip on. Pinned construction, and the butt of the knife was still rounded.

Delica III = FRN knife with barrel bolt holding the clip on, pinned construction, and the butt of the knife was squared off due to the barrel bolt.

Delica 4 = FRN and Stainless. Stainless being pinned construction and FRN being screwed construction. Clip held on with 3 screws and the butt of the knife is rounded. Knife has dual full liners that are nested.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
sal

Post by sal »

Hi David,

That's kinda the way we saw it, but as mentioned, there were many "improvements" or "changes" made along the way. What constitutes a generation change?

Blade steel? Lock steel? Spring material? mold change? Pattern change? :confused:

sal
TK

Post by TK »

sal wrote:What constitutes a generation change?

Blade steel? Lock steel? Spring material? mold change? Pattern change? :confused:
All together :D
"I always thought it would be great to have two wives."
"No! You're thinking of a man with two knives."
Delica_Nut

Clip Improvments too

Post by Delica_Nut »

markg I am with Deacon... The plastic clip did evolve... The earliest ones I had, were skinny, they then seemed to widen.

Thats correct. Clip Improvments are as important as Steel changes. Thats where D2 and D3's are hard to nail down. My opion is the apex of clips was the barrel. But we are now at the apex for steel with the ZDP.