Show your Bugs and Critters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Show your Bugs and Critters

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 3:31 am
Here’s a feel good story for ya…so I was working on a customer’s garden and saw this rather large King snake caught in some bird netting that had been set up by them to keep rabbits out…I have no clue how long the poor thing had been there but she allowed me to slowly and methodically cut her loose (more than likely she was exhausted)…anyway I put a rag over her eyes and worked my way up to the head then picked her up and laid her down gently then she slithered away…made my day!!!

That is a big one , farmers around here love to see them around their grain bins . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Well done, Sir.

The white chin and throat are suggestive of
an Eastern or Black Rat Snake.
A good snake to have around the house.

This time of year when they are shedding their skin
they will sometimes deliberately get into tight places
to help with the shedding.
We once found one that had died partially shed
hanging halfway through the frame of a wooden gate.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 6:34 am
Well done, Sir.

The white chin and throat are suggestive of
an Eastern or Black Rat Snake.
A good snake to have around the house.

This time of year when they are shedding their skin
they will sometimes deliberately get into tight places
to help with the shedding.
We once found one that had died partially shed
hanging halfway through the frame of a wooden gate.
My bad, Black Rat Snake it is and I went back and looked at what my iPhone said and sure enough it listed it as “Rat Snake”…the good news is the homeowner saw it this morning coiled up by a chipmunk hole which is why it’s so big because that place has more chipmunks than I’ve ever seen anywhere!!!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

I can't take credit for it.
The iNaturalist SEEK app told me.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Saw this hungry red fox on a morning commute a few days ago -

- Nick :bug-red
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Wow, that fox is very cool.

This Long-Flange Millipede, not so much.

This Northern Cardinal female hit the picture window.
About half the birds recover. This one sadly did not.

Once again, the iNaturalist seek app makes me look smart.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageImage Luna Moth ? Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Yes, that's a nice one.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wow, cool shots of that Luna Moth, Dan!
- Nick :bug-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 5:11 pm
ImageImage Luna Moth ? Dan
Wow! Great shot Dan. I have never seen one like that.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Visitor eating bugs from light over garage side door . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

seek by iNaturalist app shows 7 out of 7 for American Toad
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Margined Calligrapher
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

What’s this one?
MRj “Weak things break!”
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

6 out of 7 green lights for North American Rat Snake.

The app on my iPhone has been a pleasure.
Just this morning I identified two new wild flowers
and a new tree on my place.
In case I haven't mentioned it before
the seek by iNaturalist app is free.