My first SLIPIT experience / Spyderco Urban

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Palestrina

My first SLIPIT experience / Spyderco Urban

Post by Palestrina »

Hello everyone bored enough to read this thread.

A month ago I got me my first Spyderco, the Lil' Native Back Lock C230MGPB, and I really, really enjoy this knife.

As a left handed person which is used to traditional designs, theres two types of knives I love the most - backlocks and slipjoints. Being happy with my purchase I immediately started to look into the non-locking folders offered by Spyderco. Since the Lil Native SLIPIT™ is not available at my trusted dealer at the moment I had to look for alternatives.

For some irrational reason I prefer a knife to have an enclosed spine, so the UK PK was not an option. With the Lil' Native Slipit unavailable I've ordered the Urban, more or less just to check out how the mechanism feels on a Spyderco and how the FRN feels and holds up.

I wasn't expecting too much, and I was more than pleasantly surprised when it arrived 10 days ago.

1000000256.jpg

Surprise No. 1 - FRN scales:

I was a bit sceptical about linerless FRN scales - I don't know anything, so linerless FRN to me sounded like it might bend or even feel unsafe while using it. I was proven wrong - it seems like professional knife deisgners do actually know more than I do, who would have thought? The Urban, though not as tanky as my G10 Lil' Native, feels both sturdy and lighweight. Bending the scales is possible by applying force, but I don't think that there will ever be a situation in regular use where I will even come close to stressing the material, especially on a non-locking knife. Ergonomics are - as on the Lil' Native - perfectly on point. Now that I've overcome my scepticism towards FRN a whole new world of options opens up, Lil' Native LW - I can't wait for you!

Surprise No. 2 - the SLIPIT™ mechanism:

Contrary to a lot of other things I feel confident talking about slipjoints. I have experience with slipjoints from quite a variety of manufacturers for close to 30 years now - Otter, Antonini, Böker, Nontron, Case - so I think I'm able to identify a good slipjoint. Again, the Urban does not disappoint. The spring tension is just right, operating the knife feels great and closing it by accident should be impossible, if the knife is used in a proper manner. I've heard from slipjoints closing on their users fingers a few times, it never happened to me and I won't comment on that here, but due to the handle design and the strong pressure that needs to be applied to close the blade - especially after the half stop - this might be one of the safest slipjoints I have ever used. 10 out of 10 points. If the mechanism feels as good on the Lil' Native SLIPIT™ as it does here, I have to get one as well.

Surprise No. 3 - the WIRE CLIP

I never expected something looking this flimsy being that strong. I reversed it to left hand carry on this knife (took me 2 minutes, nice). I'm confident this clip will keep the knife in place even during an accidential visit to the washing machine - something that seems to be within the realm of possibilities considering how light and small the Urban is.

1000000259.jpg

Conclusion:

I'm not touching topics like size or looks. If someone wants a bigger knife he won't look at this model anyways, and if I wouldn't have liked it's looks I wouldn't have bought it.

To me personally the Urban is an excellent small folder that seems to be capable of taking on all the regular EDC tasks realistically coming up, and most likely a lot more.

Blade centering on mine is close to perfect, build quality nearly as good as on the Lil' Native, there is no blade play at all and the cutting performance out of the box hair shaving sharp. But I guess most of you expected this anyways.

Thank you for your attention.

Greetings from Austria,

Bernhard
Last edited by Palestrina on Mon May 06, 2024 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lil' Native Back Lock C230MGPB
Urban SPC127PBK

My User Name does not refer to a middle eastern region, but to an Italian composer of the most beautiful masses you'll ever hear. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, go check him out.
ChrisinHove

Re: My first SLIPIT experience / Spyderco Urban

Post by ChrisinHove »

Good review, thank you for posting!

I agree with you on most counts, but would point out that the shorter backspring on the UKPK actually makes it lighter than the Urban.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Very nice quick review! Urban is one of my most favorite models from Spyderco. It is usually accompanied by my Squeak. For people looking for bigger blade, UK Penknife is bigger brother of Urban.

Fantastic choice and love your Nontron!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Very nice review! :clinking-mugs

And glad you found out what linerless FRN really is: In relation to its weight imo the best, most sophisticated and actually very sturdy handle material (and I DO use my linerless FRN knives hard).
Add the grippy texture but smooth logo the clip lands on and on many Spydies also some chamfering: Just perfect in my view.

Far from being "cheap plastic"...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I’m still not a big cheap plastic fan personally. Steel bolsters, bone, micarta and pins options would look excellent on this knife imo
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Mon May 06, 2024 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Spyderco makes confidence inspiring slip joints. I'm glad you finally got one. The UKPKs action feels a little different than the Urban. It is a little lighter and smoother.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If you can find one of the G-10 UKPKs, the back is fully enclosed. Just a little information from an enabler.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:26 am
I’m still not a big cheap plastic fan personally. Steel bolsters, bone, micarta and pins options would look excellent on this knife imo

I am not a cheap plastic fan either ... but supertough and still light hightech fibreglass compound material like FRN on the other hand is practically speaking probably the best thing handles can be made out off imo... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:04 am
Good review, thank you for posting!

I agree with you on most counts, but would point out that the shorter backspring on the UKPK actually makes it lighter than the Urban.
Thank you! I think it comes down to personal preference. The UK PK for sure is a great knife, but the enclosed spine on the Urban suits my personal taste better. Weight is not that big of an issue, I even consider my Lil Native G10 an absolute lightweight, I mean, I've carried my classic Buck 110 as an EDC for quite some time...
PaloArt wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:11 am
Very nice quick review! Urban is one of my most favorite models from Spyderco. It is usually accompanied by my Squeak. For people looking for bigger blade, UK Penknife is bigger brother of Urban.

Fantastic choice and love your Nontron!
I'm really happy with the urban as well. I think I'm going to get a pink Squeak for my girl, she said it looked "cute" when I showed her a picture. At this moment her "EDC" is a Victorinox Classic on her keychain.

The Nontron in this picture is a Nontron Violon PP with barrel oak covers. I really do enjoy Nontron knives, but they are a bit rough around the edges and better suited for food prep than general EDC tasks. I love to look at them, and I think in pictures they are a nice contrast to the modern Spyderco knives (especially since I don't think there's any competition between Nontron and Spyderco).
Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:17 am

And glad you found out what linerless FRN really is: In relation to its weight imo the best, most sophisticated and actually very sturdy handle material (and I DO use my linerless FRN knives hard).
Add the grippy texture but smooth logo the clip lands on and on many Spydies also some chamfering: Just perfect in my view.

It's quite interesting, by just looking at pictures or reading about FRN it could be thought of as cheap plastic. It was a small revelation when handling it the first time, amazing stuff. I'm really looking forward to getting a Native 5 Lightweight or the Lil Native Lightweight, I have not made my final decision yet - but the all black Lil' Native Lightweight really looks fantastic on pictures. I'm also happy with the G10 on my Lil Native Backlock though, so just more options for me now.

I don't use my knives that hard, so I guess I won't ever find the breaking point of either FRN or G10.
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
That's what I have my traditional knives for. I think of it as different worlds, though I love my traditionals (I'm really into wood handles myself) I can't deny that I have never experienced ergonomics and control as excellent as on my Urban and Lil Native. On the other hand - you're right, a Lil' Native in boxwood with brass bolsters and carbon steel blade would be something else...
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:27 am
Spyderco makes confidence inspiring slip joints. I'm glad you finally got one. The UKPKs action feels a little different than the Urban. It is a little lighter and smoother.
Oh yes, not a single slipjoint I've ever handled felt as close to being an locked blade than the Urban, and it's not even an expensive knife. I really wonder how different the UK PK or Lil Native Slipit might feel, considering they are more expensive.
yablanowitz wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 10:28 am
If you can find one of the G-10 UKPKs, the back is fully enclosed. Just a little information from an enabler.
There are already 3 more Spydies on my wishlist right now, don't make such evil suggestions :rofl
Last edited by Palestrina on Mon May 06, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urban SPC127PBK

My User Name does not refer to a middle eastern region, but to an Italian composer of the most beautiful masses you'll ever hear. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, go check him out.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

stupid question maybe, but where exactly is the review?
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 2:30 pm
I've edited something, and it got kicked to moderation. Might take some time until my posts won't need to be approved anymore.

You won't miss that much anyways, everything I say at the moment basically boils down to "These Spyderco knives really are impressive compared to my Opinel." :')
Last edited by Palestrina on Mon May 06, 2024 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urban SPC127PBK

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 2:30 pm

It is gone indeed!!
Very weird, since this is definitely not Palestrinas first post here, he got already approved, and the review was not "spammy" at all....
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Unless he edited something and got autokicked to moderation again. I don't know how long that can happen.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:52 pm
Unless he edited something and got autokicked to moderation again. I don't know how long that can happen.

Just checked (cause I searched for one interesting post of his anyway):
Palestrina (the op) made 13 posts (which are all still there) and started new topics himself before this now missing post... can´t see why he should suddenly be moderated again - ?
It was/is a pretty good first impressions post, and he is one of my few Austrian-country fellowmen here ;) - so I hope his text will turn up again.
We´´ll see...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

yup, let's hope it reappears.
The Urban is a weird one. Perfect ergonomics in the handle (for my hand), but compared to other alternatives it's a bit chubby in pocket for the amount of blade I get, so it hardly ever gets carried. I have the later version with the shortened blade, unfortunately.
But I'm always interested to read what others think of it, in the hope it might change my own perspective on it.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 12:17 am
yablanowitz wrote:

Palestrina (the op) made 13 posts (which are all still there) and started new topics himself before this now missing post... can´t see why he should suddenly be moderated again - ?
It was/is a pretty good first impressions post, and he is one of my few Austrian-country fellowmen here ;) - so I hope his text will turn up again.
We´´ll see...
I tried pulling up his profile and got a "not found" message, so something is wonky.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:50 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 12:17 am
yablanowitz wrote:

We´´ll see...
I tried pulling up his profile and got a "not found" message, so something is wonky.

I can pull his profile (see here memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1012088) ... weirdly it says "total posts: 5", while as a matter of fact in reality there are more than ten listed...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1012088 Something is weird @TazKristi please take a look.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Nice review, Palestrina! (It's back.)

The Urban is one I've considered several times, and never quite pulled the trigger. If it's as good as my UKPKs, it looks like you've found yourself a nice knife.

And Tristan, I'm not a fan of cheap plastic either, but I absolutely love expensive plastic.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Palestrina wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 12:50 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:04 am
PaloArt wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:17 am

It's quite interesting, by just looking at pictures or reading about FRN it could be thought of as cheap plastic. It was a small revelation when handling it the first time, amazing stuff. I'm really looking forward to getting a Native 5 Lightweight or the Lil Native Lightweight, I have not made my final decision yet - but the all black Lil' Native Lightweight really looks fantastic on pictures. I'm also happy with the G10 on my Lil Native Backlock though, so just more options for me now.

I don't use my knives that hard, so I guess I won't ever find the breaking point of either FRN or G10.
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
That's what I have my traditional knives for. I think of it as different worlds, though I love my traditionals (I'm really into wood handles myself) I can't deny that I have never experienced ergonomics and control as excellent as on my Urban and Lil Native. On the other hand - you're right, a Lil' Native in boxwood with brass bolsters and carbon steel blade would be something else...
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:27 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 10:28 am

Not meaning to offend anyone (also not you, Tristan!), but I think the "FRN = cheap plastic" thing is getting old and is a bit silly.
I completely understand if someone just prefers the heavier/ beefier/ smoother... whatever feel in hand of other handle materials.
In a way I even get if someone subjectively utters that FRN feels like "cheap plastic" to them (though not really, if one really tries and uses such handles).
Most likely it is even right that FRN handles are "cheaper"/more cost efficient than such out of other materials as soon as the molds necessary to make FRN handles have paid off themselves (but those molds are quite an investment in the first place, as far as I know)

But implying that Spyderco would use "cheap plastic" in the sense of "low grade stuff" as one of their main handle materials is a bit weird.
Also, FRN is known as being really strong, tough and durable, in a way stronger than G10 ("stronger" might not be the correct technical term, but I always like to share a quote by Michael Janich concerning this viewtopic.php?p=1532174#p1532174

Anyway: @Palestrina I am glad you found out that FRN obviously is NOT "cheap plastic" to you... this opens up a whole new world (of potential more Spydies ;) )