Native Chief Lightweight!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Native Chief Lightweight!!!

Post by Bolster »

Coastal wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:14 pm
The MXG shallow carry clip will almost certainly work.

Excellent, thanks for the research!

For the record, I get considerable pocket shred on my heavy as well as my lightweight pants. Pockets tend to shred before the knees blow out.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Native Chief Lightweight CTS-BD1N Black DLC Blade SpyderEdge Black FRN C244SBBK (USA):

Spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Blade/2411

•• Beau
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Lightening the tension on the clip, just slightly, will help. All is not lost. This is still a great design, and knife.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:42 pm
Lightening the tension on the clip, just slightly, will help. All is not lost. This is still a great design, and knife.
:index-finger :index-finger :index-finger
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:47 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:10 am
I will say this, if you wear slacks, or thin pants, this may be an issue. I wear thicker pants almost exclusively, and this is a non issue. If this is your primary knife that you will utilize and deploy multiple times per day, this could perhaps become an issue regardless, though I don't always reach for this folder for all of my daily usage. At this rate, I wouldn't see this being an issue for me, and I haven't adjusted the clip to relieve factory tension.

Well, actually ALL of the pants I wear regularily (even the thick and sturdy ones) are/get pretty trashed over time on the right side front pocket from putting my folders in at out of the pocket in daily use... so a design where the clip does not even land on a smooth spot just has to make that worse I guess - ?
I was speaking specifically in regards to the "pocket bunching" due to the clip placement that was expressed as the issue as of now. I think the model is too new to judge overall pocket wear. All of my pants will wear over time wherever stress/abrasion is present. I suppose time will tell if this model specifically will be worse for the wear.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
R100

Post by R100 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:08 pm
R100 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:53 pm

The MXG non deep carry clip is longer than a Spyderco clip and may well be the solution if you are willing to go after-market. I have one and will try it when my Chief LW arrives and can report back.

Dan

Thank you!
Works perfectly and falls almost exactly in the centre of the clip landing pad. Very smooth in and out of the pocket. It's also available in black.

Dan
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

R100 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 1:47 am
Bolster wrote:
R100 wrote:

The MXG non deep carry clip is longer than a Spyderco clip and may well be the solution if you are willing to go after-market. I have one and will try it when my Chief LW arrives and can report back.

Dan

Thank you!
Works perfectly and falls almost exactly in the centre of the clip landing pad. Very smooth in and out of the pocket. It's also available in black.

Dan
Knice 👏👊
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

R100 wrote:
Bolster wrote:
R100 wrote:

Dan

Thank you!

Dan
Thanks for info Dan . I really like the. The lightweight model and would like an upcoming variant . May have to try out this clip . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Oh dang, should I get the MXG clip and keep this knife? Decisions…

Link to the MXG clip:

https://mxggear.com/collections/native- ... o-knife-10
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

zhyla wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 am
Oh dang, should I get the MXG clip and keep this knife? Decisions…

Link to the MXG clip:

https://mxggear.com/collections/native- ... o-knife-10
I'm tellin' ya, if you try that clip you might end up with a dozen of them! ;)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Ok I'm giving it a shot. Not wild about the Spyderco clip not being designed right for this knife but the MXG clip looks to be the perfect length, it's inexpensive (for a clip), and the shipping is cheap.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

R100 wrote:

Thank you Dan! I will be making the clip upgrade when my LW arrives.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Super Dave

Post by Super Dave »

I'm waiting for the magnacut salt version. Is there any idea when that will come out or do we just wait and see?
Thanks,
Dave
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

R100 wrote:
Bolster wrote:
R100 wrote:

Dan

Now that´s nice, thanks for sharing!

Did not know that there is a NON deep carry MXG clip available (don´t like deep carry generally and especially not on long knives like the Chief)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Ok, I was a little worried I was throwing good money after bad, but I ordered an MXG clip. I think it was $27 shipped.

It’s only about an 1/8th of an inch longer but the contact point is way closer to the tip. Huge win. It’s also slightly thicker material so I was hoping I could use the clip tip-down but it still interferes with the blade. So no luck on that.

I like the standard clips but MXG makes a fine clip. Saved this knife from the chopping block… for now at least.
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

zhyla wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 6:11 pm
Ok, I was a little worried I was throwing good money after bad, but I ordered an MXG clip. I think it was $27 shipped.

It’s only about an 1/8th of an inch longer but the contact point is way closer to the tip. Huge win. It’s also slightly thicker material so I was hoping I could use the clip tip-down but it still interferes with the blade. So no luck on that.

I like the standard clips but MXG makes a fine clip. Saved this knife from the chopping block… for now at least.
I’ve had the same issue on other knives with trying to have the clip in tip down. The screws are just slightly too long. I put the ends of them on some sand paper to get a thread or two off. That worked so I was able to carry tip down and the screws wouldn’t protrude through the liners too far.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Drubieg wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 6:36 pm
I’ve had the same issue on other knives with trying to have the clip in tip down. The screws are just slightly too long. I put the ends of them on some sand paper to get a thread or two off. That worked so I was able to carry tip down and the screws wouldn’t protrude through the liners too far.
Yeah, I may do that. It’s really unbelievable a knife comes out of Golden and needs the screws ground down. I had this issue with a used Delica and wrote it off as maybe someone swapped another knife’s screws onto it or something.

MXG included two sets of screws of different lengths. They’re also too long but I may take them to the grinder for this purpose.
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

zhyla wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 8:50 pm
Drubieg wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 6:36 pm
Yeah, I may do that. It’s really unbelievable a knife comes out of Golden and needs the screws ground down. I had this issue with a used Delica and wrote it off as maybe someone swapped another knife’s screws onto it or something.

MXG included two sets of screws of different lengths. They’re also too long but I may take them to the grinder for this purpose.
It’s annoying for sure