Dragonfly vs. Lil' Native

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ryder

Re: Dragonfly vs. Lil' Native

Post by Ryder »

Another thing I do with my knife when hiking is casual foraging for informative purposes. I like to know and understand the 400 square miles of southwestern wilderness that I can walk to from home as good as I can after hiking the two mountain ranges, peaks and canyons that start in the saguaros and climb to Ponderosas.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I currently have three Lil' Natives (S30V SE/Compression Lock, S90V/Compression Lock, S30V/Mid-Backlock) and six Dragonfly 2s (VG10, ZDP-189, V-Toku2, K390, H1 SE, & H1 SE Hawkbill).
IMG_20240429_200250_247.jpg
The Lil' Native is a great design (I especially like the Compression Lock variant) but I just slightly prefer the Dragonfly 2 for casual/non-work carry. Typically, if I'm carrying a knife in the DF2/LN-size class as my only folder, it is during activities like trail running & fastpacking. In those instances, the Dragonfly 2's lighter weight gives it an edge over the Lil' Native, and it also helps that the Dragonfly 2 comes in a Salt version so I don't have to worry about contact with my sweat causing any corrosion on the knife.

On occasions when I want to carry a smaller folder at work (either for more discreet carry or I just want a less bulky carry), however, I will reach for a Compression Lock Lil' Native over a DF2. I primarily use full-sized & mid-sized Compression Lock folders (Yo2, LT3LW, PM2, Para 3) as my work knives so a Compression Lock Lil' Native doesn't take any sort of ergonomic recalibration. Additionally, its longer, wider & thicker handle is more comfortable when bearing down, & the beefier construction & stouter blade—while not as great as a slicer as the DF2's—gives me more confidence when doing some of my routine work knife tasks like inserting & twisting the blade under highly-tensioned polypropylene pallet straps. However, in this regard, the Lil' Native has recently been supplanted by the MicroJimbo (which is only slightly larger than the Lil' Native, and has more familiar ergonomics for me since I've been using the Yojimbo 2 as my primary work knife for several years).

Either way, though, you can't really go wrong with the DF2 or the Lil' Native, they're excellent designs in their own ways, it all just depends on what you need a tiny folding knife to do.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Ryder wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:21 pm
One does have to give thought to what might be needed versus what is necessary every day. It hardly ever rains here but...

Well whaddya know, a fellow SW desert rat...though I'm mostly on the Calif side of the Colorado River, but sometimes east of it. I'll keep an eye out for a guy carrying a D'fly!

FWIW I have to agree with you that everything I've ever needed a knife for while backpacking, a D'fly would have done it. Except maybe once when I hurt a knee and needed to carve a walking stick, but that was before I started using poles, so...yeah, I think a D'fly would cover anything I've ever needed. Except for that feeling of security that a 3+ inch knife (illogically?) confers.

Anyway...maybe I'll see you on a dusty trail sometime!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Flash

Post by Flash »

I think both are ergonomically compromised…

Out of all my Spydercos The lil native feels like it needs jimping the most yet is the only one I own that doesn’t have jimping.
The pocket clip also makes itself known in the hand the most.

The Dragonfly is a 3 finger knife in my hands which to me makes it feel more of a novelty knife in this company.

Neither are bad but there’s far better compact knives out there than both - Namely the Chaparral…

Compared to the Lil Native The Chap has 9mm more cutting edge yet the profile when folded is only 4mm longer and 2mm wider (but is 3mm shallower) and the ergos are absolutely perfect.
It’s slim and light yet feels rock solid, both in use when cutting and in operation when folding.

For me the Chapparal is not just Spydercos finest compact but their finest knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Flash wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:27 am
Neither are bad but there’s far better compact knives out there than both - Namely the Chaparral…

Compared to the Lil Native The Chap has 9mm more cutting edge yet the profile when folded is only 4mm longer and 2mm wider (but is 3mm shallower) and the ergos are absolutely perfect.
It’s slim and light yet feels rock solid, both in use when cutting and in operation when folding.

For me the Chapparal is not just Spydercos finest compact but their finest knife.
I don't disagree... 😉 :clinking-mugs
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Flash wrote:
I think both are ergonomically compromised…

Out of all my Spydercos The lil native feels like it needs jimping the most yet is the only one I own that doesn’t have jimping.
The pocket clip also makes itself known in the hand the most.

The Dragonfly is a 3 finger knife in my hands which to me makes it feel more of a novelty knife in this company.

The OP already has a Chaparral and want a smaller knife. I think everyone who has participated in this thread has great appreciation for the Chap, but it's not a relevant pick in this context. Personally I can almost get a four finger grip behind the choil on a Dfly, so the novelty aspect is a subjective one too.
Flash wrote:
I'll give you that :) It is a really good design.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:14 am
Ryder wrote:
One does have to give thought to what might be needed versus what is necessary every day. It hardly ever rains here but...
Well whaddya know, a fellow SW desert rat...though I'm mostly on the Calif side of the Colorado River, but sometimes east of it. I'll keep an eye out for a guy carrying a D'fly!

We have crossed the river from time to time and really like the Mojave Desert, Death Valley, Mojave Preserve, Joshua tree and especially those forgotten places in the heart of the Mojave. There are places where you just don’t see any other people for days. One we drove the Cadiz road from Route 66 to Hwy 62 crossing some spooky desert and camped on Danby dry lake. Everything was surreal. Can’t believe I haven’t gone back for more.

A ranger in Anza Borrego once eyed my Mora suspiciously and told me I wouldn’t run into any trouble there. I wasn’t looking for it but mentioned to him that a Blackhawk had been herding a dozen screaming illegals the day before. He looked surprised but just didn’t understand a fixed blade camping/hiking knife but didn’t get into a twist over it. I’m a bit more low key now but I’ll never quit traveling the desert. I’ll keep an eye out for you.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I don't go often, but I love how quiet the Desert is. Like an outdoor isolation tank😊
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

This thread inspired me to carry my Dragonfly for a day and then carry my Lil’ Native for a day and compare them.
The Dragonfly seems to fill almost all of the boxes. That point on the spine is the big turn off for me. The Lil’ Native checks off almost all of the same boxes but the smooth contours makes it a winner.
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

For a tiny three-finger knife, the Dragonfly ergonomics line up a lot better for my hand. So it does end up being my most-carried knife, often as a secondary in a shirt or jacket pocket, etc..

What I'd really like to see is improvements on the Dragonfly LW. The big one is just offering it (especially the Wharncliffe) in premium stainless. Another could be other scale options. I'd been exploring aftermarket scales and the blade running directly against the scale can be less optimal there. I'd be way into a linerless CF Dragonfly on washers (or even caged bearings against steel washers).
cjk

Post by cjk »

DavidNM wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 1:40 pm
This thread inspired me to carry my Dragonfly for a day and then carry my Lil’ Native for a day and compare them.
The Dragonfly seems to fill almost all of the boxes. That point on the spine is the big turn off for me. The Lil’ Native checks off almost all of the same boxes but the smooth contours makes it a winner.
I concur. 😁
cjk

Post by cjk »

chronovore wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm
For a tiny three-finger knife, the Dragonfly ergonomics line up a lot better for my hand. So it does end up being my most-carried knife, often as a secondary in a shirt or jacket pocket, etc..

What I'd really like to see is improvements on the Dragonfly LW. The big one is just offering it (especially the Wharncliffe) in premium stainless. Another could be other scale options. I'd been exploring aftermarket scales and the blade running directly against the scale can be less optimal there. I'd be way into a linerless CF Dragonfly on washers (or even caged bearings against steel washers).
There are a couple Ti dragonfly kits both of which come with washers.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:10 am
The Most Interesting Man in the World was recently overheard to say:
"I don't always carry small knives, but when I do, I don't know which I prefer, the Dragonfly or the Lil' Native."
Given that the MIMITW is seldom indecisive...
Bolster, I love the way you introduced this question. :grin-smiling-eyes
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

I don't have that much experience, but the Lil Native was my first Spyderco knife, and it really got me hooked.

It's an excellent design, and I can highly recommend it.
Lil' Native Back Lock C230MGPB
Urban SPC127PBK

My User Name does not refer to a middle eastern region, but to an Italian composer of the most beautiful masses you'll ever hear. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, go check him out.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bolster wrote:
Ryder wrote:

FWIW I have to agree with you that everything I've ever needed a knife for while backpacking, a D'fly would have done it. Except maybe once when I hurt a knee and needed to carve a walking stick, but that was before I started using poles, so...yeah, I think a D'fly would cover anything I've ever needed. Except for that feeling of security that a 3+ inch knife (illogically?) confers.

Remember that guy who killed a mountain lion with his Spyderco. There is that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 10:04 am
Bolster wrote:
Remember that guy who killed a mountain lion with his Spyderco. There is that.

True, true...however, I don't hike with infants. (The m-lion attacked the man's baby.) If memory serves, the heroic dad dispatched the cat with a 3.5 Caly. So far, I've not needed to cut any living thing on a pack trip. But to your point, there is a psychological security buffer with a longer blade.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:11 pm
He already has, it’s called the calypso
Well maybe the Calypso Jr.
But unfortunatly it's gone.
Whould be great if Sal gives us a Calypso Jr. 2 with the DFY 2 charakteristics (jimping,....)

ASF
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Lil native for me with the ergos. I like a knife that fills the hand. I also prefer the compression lock, fidget factor and ease of opening and closing. Bonus - get the exclusive one in CRUWEAR and you get a small heavy user knife that is very stout and easily sharpens to a razor edge. The lil native gets used and the dragonfly collects dust for me.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

A bit painful as I just lost my lil Native. For me these are very different knives. The lil native punches above it's weight with a thicker blade than the DF and I can just get a four finger grip on it using the choil. This makes it usefull for more hard use tasks. The blade being thicker but still slicey enough for my needs. DF is for me more limited in it's use.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
benben

Post by benben »

I think the mechanical goodness of this design in such a small package is very cool!
IMG_3488.png
IMG_3604.jpeg