Ikuchi, the best Spyderco folding filet knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ErikLee

Ikuchi, the best Spyderco folding filet knife?

Post by ErikLee »

Hey guys, I'm looking for a knife that's great for fileting, deboning fish and these types of tasks and while looking at the Ikuchi I hthought this would be trhe perfect knife to have for such tasks.
The blade length is not too shirt, but what cought my attention is the blade thickness at 2mm an the short blade height. That makes me believe the blade will be more bendy than your regular Spyderco which gennerally is 3mm or thicker and have way taller blades.

Do people who regularly cleans fish or debone meat think this knife is great for that use?

Any thoughts on your use case for the Ikuchi are more than welcome.
Michael Janich

Re: Ikuchi, the best Spyderco folding filet knife?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear ErikLee:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I say: For that get the current Catcherman sprint run as long as you can..

Also: Welcome! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ErikLee

Post by ErikLee »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:25 am
I say: For that get the current Catcherman sprint run as long as you can..

Also: Welcome! :smlling-eyes
I understand your point, but I'm not a big fan of the CRN linerless models. if a fancy G10 model of the Catcherman comes out, I will be the first to pick one up :smirk
juggler

Post by juggler »

I can see the Ikuchi being used as a filet knife, but the Catcherman is arguably the king of filet knives in the current Spyderco lineup: the blade is longer and a bit thinner, while the materials used (FRN+LC200N) are more appropriate. Which is no big surprise, since that's exactly what the Catcherman was made for!
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
brj

Post by brj »

While the Catcherman might most likely indeed be a better option for a fileting knife, the Ikuchi is arguably a better all-around edc, I have been carrying/using mine quite a lot and there is no task it wouldn't handle with aplomb and panache :smlling-eyes
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have an Ikuchi. I would say no. Not only are you going to rust the thing with fish and water getting in the internals, operating the flipper while its wet or dirty would be a nightmare (only way to open knife). I also don't find the blade to be flexible.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have to agree with Matt, the Ikuchi blade is nowhere near flexible enough for filet duty.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Catcherman ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I love my Ikuchi, but the blade is not at all flexible. Go for the Catcherman!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I can see using the Ikuchi to fillet small fish if it's all you have and you have a way to wash the knife with fresh water soon afterward. To me it would be somewhat of a stunt, though. Sure, you could do it, but why, especially with the Catcherman still available. I've never done it so I can't speak from experience, but I also can't see using a comp lock knife for filleting.

Full disclosure, I would never choose a folder of any type to fillet fish if I had a fixed blade nearby. If you specifically want a fancy fillet knife, there are several excellent ones available, but they aren't Spydercos.
ErikLee

Post by ErikLee »

Great info! Yes I guess I will look into getting my hands on that green Catcherman with LC200N instead of an Ikuchi. But if I find one in the future, I might still join the Ikuchi club because It is a very nice knife.
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:32 am
I have an Ikuchi. I would say no. Not only are you going to rust the thing with fish and water getting in the internals, operating the flipper while its wet or dirty would be a nightmare (only way to open knife). I also don't find the blade to be flexible.
Those are great points, I'm sure the carbon scales will lose all it's grip in wet slimy conditions, if at all it has any, as it looks very smooth on pictures.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I don't know if it would be worth it to Spyderco to spend the money on Tooling but a fixed blade Catcherman would be cool. I'd get one for what it's worth. (I got 2 of the folders).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kobold

Post by kobold »

I think the Spydiechef is more suitable. But there is also the Catcherman and possibly others.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Skip the Ikuchi. The knife design (handle texture, lack of guard, opening mechanism) don’t lend it itself to these type of tasks.
If you’re against the Catcherman (seriously the perfect folding fillet knife), then you might be able to find a Siren. I used my Siren to fillet anything from large cod and king salmon to pan-sized trout.
Sure, it isn’t perfect, since it’s not a designated fillet knife, but it works great for these type of tasks for an edc knife that can do everything you’d use a knife like the Para2 for.