Dragonfly vs. Lil' Native

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: Dragonfly vs. Lil' Native

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:42 pm
Thanks for the analysis so far.

Would there be less distinction between the FRN D'fly and the Lil' Native LW? Because I'm leaning in the direction of an FRN LW model of one or the other. In which case, the D'fly K390 FRN has 2.3" long blade, 2.5mm thick, 1.2 oz. The Lil' N LW will have a 2.4" blade, also 2.5mm thick, 1.5 oz.

This is the crux of my indecision. They seem similar; they even have almost the same amount of edge (1.9" and 2.0" respectively).
Hi Bolster, I have the solution to your conundrum…get both and decide for yourself then gift the second place finisher to a family member so you can still use it 😉
Last edited by SaltyCaribbeanDfly on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:11 am

Just out of interest: How do YOU feel about the Chaparral FRN as an alternative especially to the G10 Lil Native?

I don't own a Chaparral, but I would prefer the bidirectional FRN over the G10. I REALLY like Spyderco's bidirectional surface. The feature that would keep me away from the Chaparral is the compression lock. The compression lock is nice, but I'm not a fan of using it in my left hand.

DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I have both a G-10 Dragonfly and a G-10 Lil’ Native in a backlock. I prefer the G-10 Lil’Native but not by much. The big sticking point with the Dragonfly is the point on the blade spine. Sine I don’t use pocket clips the spine pokes me an sometimes scratch’s me while I am fishing out my house keys. Both handles fit me well and I do like the blade shape and compactness of the Dragonfly but I almost always grab the Lil’ Native. It just fits in the pocket that much better.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:34 am

In summary buy a Cat.

It's Spyderco's most underrated small knife. It does everything a g10 Lil Native will do at a fraction of the price. People will say the blade stock isnt thin enough or linerlocks are worst locks, but the Cat is a perfect knife at a perfect price.

This answer is spot on. I have used my 440C Cat harder than I should without any issues. For the cost you can’t go wrong.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:34 am
Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:42 pm
Would there be less distinction between the FRN D'fly and the Lil' Native LW?
I think this would tighten up the choice due to the variety of steels offered on the Dfly. I prefer my comp lock Lil Natives to my Dfly's, not for the lock but just for ergos. The Dfly is a remarkably lightweight knife and an excellent design, but for me the ergos hit my hand weirdly and it's a struggle to open one handed especially in a hurry.

K390 Dfly vs BD1N Lil LW I think most people will say go k390. Im one of the weirdos that prefer stainless, don't chase edge retention above all, and don't mind a quick touch up at the end of the day. For me BD1N is a sweetheart steel that punches above its weight class. It's very stainless, takes a ridiculous edge with very little effort, but retains it's edge way longer than you'd expect.

In summary buy a Cat.

It's Spyderco's most underrated small knife. It does everything a g10 Lil Native will do at a fraction of the price. People will say the blade stock isnt thin enough or linerlocks are worst locks, but the Cat is a perfect knife at a perfect price.

You beat me to it. The Cat is where it's at! I love my 440C Cat. I wish they'd upgrade the steel to SPY27 or at least S30V. It is a great little knife. The Cat has a 2.5" blade with a 2.23 , while the Lil Native has a 2.42 inch blade with a 2.02" cutting edge. The Cat has a closed length of 3.54" and weighs 2.6oz. fully linered. The LN has a closed length of 3.47" and weighs 2.5oz. They are close, but the Cat has a longer blade and more cutting edge. The blade is thinner, too.

I prefer the Dragonfly to the Lil Native, by a wide margin. I never carry my LN, but I have 10 DF and they get used.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm sure the Lil Native is a nice knife, but the Dragonfly is legendary. Everyone should at least try one.
RustyIron, the Chaparral is a back lock.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

“ I grab the Dragonfly when I need an ultralight folding scalpel”

That’s the freaking truth. A Dragonfly in K390 is surreal in capabilities never mind the size.
The ergonomics are well thought out. My little finger wraps the small flat pulling the handle into my palm, fitting perfectly. In the reverse paring grip my index finger indexes right under the hump while the rest of the fingers lightly wrap the scales for a secure grip. Well, as you can see I really care about this design.
I’ve been backpacking and hiking my entire life and have experimented with many blades. Here are a few and I do have more Spyderco models and other brands but for more than a year the Dragonfly in K390 is the one and only. There are a few Chaparrals in my quiver too along with a Native but I’ve not handled a lil’ Native so I’ll not theories about them.

At 1.16 oz the Dragonfly is pound for pound the champion and is such a slicer that little pressure is needed but it is stout enough for some real action. It carves wood easily and as I’ve related before it easily cuts the backbone out of a chicken and fully processes the bird for the pan. Now I don’t normally take a whole chicken hiking but I just had to see in the kitchen just what the Dragonfly was capable of. Even if you have the others and are pleased the Dragonfly is well worth having in your selection.
IMG_4947.jpeg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:11 am

I don't own a Chaparral, but I would prefer the bidirectional FRN over the G10. I REALLY like Spyderco's bidirectional surface. The feature that would keep me away from the Chaparral is the compression lock. The compression lock is nice, but I'm not a fan of using it in my left hand.
Thanks!

... but you know trat the Chaparral has a BACKlock?
And actually not just "a" backlock but "the" sturdiest backlock Spyderco offers - no wiggle at all with its internal stop pin.
A comp.lock would ruin the Chap for me too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am perfectly happy with my two Chaparrals and two Dragonflies, so I can be picky and just wait for the "perfect" lil Native. It must have a back-lock, scales that are not black, a steel I want to try/use and it can't be an exclusive run. But more to the point, I am not even sure I need anything smaller than the Native, my #1 Spyderco anyway.

My main small knife wish, when it comes to Spydercos right now, is the SE Chap, which I will use for a blade swap with the Raffir Noble model.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I prefer the dragonfly. Not sure why but I have both and the dfly gets carried a lot more.
hobbyist

Post by hobbyist »

For a small knife, I find the lil native too thick. I keep trying to like it, but I've bought and sold 3 of them. Dragonflies are the perfect knife for their size. Small knives are great for every day tasks. Suuuper slicey. I have a dragonfly sitting by the front door for packages. Have 2 in the office for odd jobs. Serrated salt version is great for gardening tasks (clipping stems, twine, etc).

In the garage I have a bigger k390 knife for cardboard. In the kitchen I have a stretch XL and catcherman for food prep. And in my pocket I usually have a delica or para 3 or chaparral.

Chaparral by the way may be a knife you want to look at. It's kind of an amazing blend between the delica and dragonfly: pocket size of the dfly, edge length of the delica.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 am
the Chaparral has a BACKlock?

🤯

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 am
the Chaparral has a BACKlock?

🤯

;) .. now you can get one! If you indeed choose so, I bet you´ll love it! (And the best backlock I personally ever experienced in any folder...)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

hobbyist wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:00 pm
Chaparral by the way may be a knife you want to look at.

Agreed! but already own. Looking for an excuse and rationale to buy another smaller Spyderco. Wife has a G10 sage D'fly I bought her years ago, but that's off-limits to me; I'm told I have plenty of my own knives to use. So I've narrowed it down to a FRN D'fly or a Lil'Native LW at this point, and this thread is helpful in weighing the options, thanks all.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:51 am
I'm sure the Lil Native is a nice knife, but the Dragonfly is legendary. Everyone should at least try one.
RustyIron, the Chaparral is a back lock.
Uhhhh....
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I really like the dragonfly, have quite a few. Also have a lil native backlock g10. Prefer the dragonfly to that one. Will have to try one of the upcoming lw lil native, but the smaller footprint and lighter weight of the dragonfly will be hard to overcome, honestly.

The chaparral is a great competitor, too. Heavier, but quite a slicer with more cutting edge. Quite durable, too. The lil native g10 feels like you can cut through anything, but the chaparral is quite a user, too. Will not handle as much lateral stress/prying, but man can it slice/cut.

The dragonfly just fits my pocket carry style a little better. But who knows, may change at some point….
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:37 pm
now you can get one! If you indeed choose so, I bet you´ll love it!

Hahahaha! You are SO predictable! While your logic may be sound, I have an irrational predilection for larger blades.

Right now, there's no need for me to buy anything from the existing line-up. I have what I need (and then some). I'm patiently waiting for the next reveal. I want that LW Manix 2 in 15V... and maybe something else in 15v or K390. I don't know for sure until I see what's coming.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:37 pm

Hahahaha! You are SO predictable! While your logic may be sound, I have an irrational predilection for larger blades.

Right now, there's no need for me to buy anything from the existing line-up. I have what I need (and then some). I'm patiently waiting for the next reveal. I want that LW Manix 2 in 15V... and maybe something else in 15v or K390. I don't know for sure until I see what's coming.

I hear you, Rusty, I also generally prefer larger blades.

The Chap though is so unique in its features and its "supersturdy meets super - thin and -slicey" - aspect even in Spydercos lineup, that I thought you might want to give it a try after I read your (quote) "The feature that would keep me away from the Chaparral is the compression lock".

Maybe some day! :clinking-mugs
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:36 pm
hobbyist wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:00 pm

Agreed! but already own. Looking for an excuse and rationale to buy another smaller Spyderco. Wife has a G10 sage D'fly I bought her years ago, but that's off-limits to me; I'm told I have plenty of my own knives to use. So I've narrowed it down to a FRN D'fly or a Lil'Native LW at this point, and this thread is helpful in weighing the options, thanks all.
Tough choice, and I am curious which one you´ll get in the end! I might be facing the same choice sooner or later!
It´s fascinating how the Lil Native lightweight really changed pretty much everything for me, just going by the specs.
No interest at all in a G10 Lil Native when I can have either a Dfly or a Chap, but that much lighter FRN option with a not too fat blade the Lil Native LW offers is really worth considering... now if it eventually will offer an SE version, even better in a wharnie shape, this would make the choice even harder.

I think though since you have a Chap already with its comparably long edge and "higher" weight, I´d still lean towards the "more different" small knife alternative, which would be the Dfly for me: Smaller carry and even lighter weight than the Lil Native LW.

If I had no Chap and could choose only between Dfly and Lil Native LW: I could see myself getting the latter...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:14 am

If I had no Chap and could choose only between Dfly and Lil Native LW: I could see myself getting the latter...
Nah. You'd like the Dragonfly better. It is a lot more slicey and it weighs nothing. On some of your adventures you would have it and not even know you did until you needed it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050