MANIX NAME

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
edwardjanusz@yahoo.com

MANIX NAME

Post by edwardjanusz@yahoo.com »

Can someone please tell me why the knife manx is called manix?
phaust

Re: MANIX NAME

Post by phaust »

From Sal

We were having a meeting with Sales and Marketing trying to come up with name for Eric's latest design. In the realm of Lynx and Bobcat, both names already being used by competitors, I suggested "Manx" as a bob tailed cat. Then it was learned that a Manx is a female cat, which we felt would not work. Then Lisa, our Export Manager stretched it to "Manix" which was a Police detective TV show at the time. Sounded good to all of us so we went with it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I had a Manx years ago and it was a male . The breed comes from the Isle of Man . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MetalsHead

Post by MetalsHead »

This happens when you don't allow internet devices into the conference room!
olywa

Post by olywa »

Still a great story. Ain't spitballing great?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

phaust wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:10 pm
"Manix" which was a Police detective TV show at the time.
Are we just going to gloss over the the fact that that the Mannix TV show was on 30 years before the C95 Manix happened?
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:36 pm
Are we just going to gloss over the the fact that that the Mannix TV show was on 30 years before the C95 Manix happened?
I mean if you were a poor kid in the 90s reruns of Gilligan's Island, Flipper, The Brady Bunch, Happy Days etc were what was on the channels you had so I could believe Mannix still being around in some regions.

We can also gloss over that Manx cats take their name from the Manx people. As Manixguy pointed out the Manx live on the Isle of Man. Unlike some fur patterns like calico or tortoise shell that require the XX chromosome pairings to be presented. The tailless gene is dominant and occurs in male and female cats. Another fun example of islands cause genetic shifts in the animals that come to inhabit them.

I do miss the before internet times where you could wonder things like "how many people do you think live in Australia?" and then never get an answer because no one's parents could pay $1000 for Brittanica Encyclopedias. The smartest person you knew was just a sociopath confident enough to say anything in response to a question and double down if anyone around them questioned the validity of their answer.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

We’re lucky Lisa didn’t tweak the name after something that was actually contemporary:

Spanx

🤣
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:54 am
We’re lucky Lisa didn’t tweak the name after something that was actually contemporary:

Spanx

🤣
I would have never bought another Spyderco! :rofl :rofl
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
phaust

Post by phaust »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:54 am

Spanx

🤣
:rofl

Spanx would be a good nickname for the skinny scale Manix. Tuck that belly away

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

MetalsHead wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:19 pm
This happens when you don't allow internet devices into the conference room!
Now there’s an idea.

Attention Spyderco Marketing! I would buy any Spydie, especially a Salt, that you named Boaty McBoatface. I don’t think that name was actually taken.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”