The XHP knives.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

The XHP knives.

Post by gull wing »

What are the Spyderco CTS XHP knives? I recently pulled out my Bowie and so enjoyed using it. With all the new steels out there I kind forgot about it.
I read it likes a polish, going to try that.😀
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Hopsbreath

Re: The XHP knives.

Post by Hopsbreath »

Taichung and Cutlery Shoppe exclusives come to mind. Chapparal and Swayback are available right now from Taiwan. I’m not seeing anything at Cutlery Shopped though, looks like they’re all sold out. Love their orange too, I have a Chief and Para 3 LW.

Edit: also finding the McBee and Techno 2 readily available. I’m sure there’s even more models at the more obscure retailers. Discussion of this steel is also reminding me that I should have snagged a Hundred Pacer when those were discontinued. That was a mistake.
Guts

Post by Guts »

I had actually re-sharpened my Cutlery Shoppe PM2 Wharncliffe in XHP last night since it had gotten pretty dull. The steel does indeed take a polish relatively easily and strops back well after some use. Deburrs really easily too. XHP does get slept on compared to a lot of the other steels but as a freehand sharpener I've come to appreciate it a lot after using and sharpening the handful of the examples I own.

:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I have a Mule Team in CTS-XHP. Definitely like and use it regularly.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

XHP's ok in my experience. If I like the knife in its other characteristics I'm happy with XHP. It's not a specific draw for me like M390/20CV/204P.

To be perfectly honest though as far as alternatives to S30V/35VN/45VN go, I would rather see more SPY27 than more XHP. SPY27 just seems to give a really nice sharpening response while I don't really have anything distinguishing about XHP to point to.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

XHP is my least favorite good steel, but I really like a couple models that use it:

I don't feel like either is lacking in any way because of the XHP, but I'd probably enjoy both even more if any other semi-modern steel was used. I know it'll never happen, but I'd love to see a CF/S90V Hundred Pacer.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Giygas wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:23 pm
XHP is my least favorite good steel, but I really like a couple models that use it:

I don't feel like either is lacking in any way because of the XHP, but I'd probably enjoy both even more if any other semi-modern steel was used. I know it'll never happen, but I'd love to see a CF/S90V Hundred Pacer.
I admit I did dodge the XHP on the Domino in favor of 204P 😅

Hundred Pacer is a regret of mine, XHP or no. I should've picked one up, at the very least when they were discontinued.

MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Don’t forget the C160 Foundry, which is sort of an homage to CTS. It has XHP blade-steel.

Of the four Taichung-produced Slysz-designs, only the SpydieChef does not have XHP.

I have Slysz’s Techno and SwayBack. I also have a sprint-run Manix2 in XHP, as well as a number of Chaparrals in XHP. I bother to mention what I have to underscore my liking for XHP.

Many other Glesser-designs now considered standard have included an XHP variant.

I, too, regret not picking up a Hundred-Pacer. I had not yet come round—via my several Chinooks—to liking its blade-shape.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've had to restrain from buying the Foundry for 2 years now. I know I'm gonna drop the ball and buy it one day :(
@Skywalker Wonderful idea on the bolsters ! Mine takes micro scratching just by looking at it, this mat look is excellent.

I love XHP (when treated by Spyderco). When it comes to "not that high carbide content" PM steels, it's one of my favorites.
Here's what I have with it, as you can see there is no Foundry and I'm going to try and keep it that way as long as I can !

- Chaparral
- Dice
- Domino
- Hungarian
- McBee
- Swayback
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I like Spyderco's CTS-XHP. I don't have a group photo, but my samples include the Domino, Swayback, Hundred Pacer, Techno 2, some CutleryShoppe exclusives, and the brown Manix 2 LW. I regret not getting a Foundry when they were more readily available.
domino blue cf 16.jpg
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

S90V Hundred Pacer sounds interesting. If it comes back, I'd prefer a back-lock as I am not a fan of the lock it had.

I too am very sorry that I did not pick one or two up when they were around. It is one of my favorite blade profiles ever.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Had some free time so I snapped a group picture. Even though I already have the Native Chief, I still hope CutleryShoppe does a Native 5 exclusive in XHP, either G10 or lightweight.
cts-xhp group 02.jpg
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I only have the Chaparral in XHP. Seems like a decent steel but nothing to write home about. I’m happy enough with most steels though.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

mikey177 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:43 am
Had some free time so I snapped a group picture. Even though I already have the Native Chief, I still hope CutleryShoppe does a Native 5 exclusive in XHP, either G10 or lightweight.
cts-xhp group 02.jpg
I'd definitely buy a N5 or two in this steel !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

I only have chaparral in XHP as well. I wish it was k390, but I wish every knife was made in k390.
Big50

Post by Big50 »

I love Spyderco’s XHP.
For me It’s at the perfect point in the sharpening effort to edge retention curve.
Family pic: