It's About Time For: A Full SE Catcherman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

It's About Time For: A Full SE Catcherman

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm starting a new series of threads and I'm hoping that others will share my desires. The Title i.e. It's About Time For: indicates the desire for the return of certain past models that have gained cult status or consistent popularity as time has gone by.

In this first thread I was wanting to see how many of you here in Spyderville would like to see the return of a fully Serrated version of the Catcherman with maybe the possibility of a newer blade steel. There has been some recent talk of a possible Catcherman Sprint Run which I'm personally excited about. But I most of all miss the fully serrated version of the Catcherman,. Because the AUS-8, Full SE Catcherman I have has become one of my most used Spyderco knives in the past 20 years.

So I'm hoping there will be others here that share my desires for some of these old lost classics. Also maybe even a newer handle material along with a newer/better blade might be worth talking about. The full SE Catcherman is an incredibly useful tool. Let's talk.
Wartstein

Re: It's About Time For: A Full SE Catcherman

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:42 am
...There has been some recent talk of a possible Catcherman Sprint Run which I'm personally excited about. ...

You do know that this is not just "talk of a possible Catcherman Sprint Run" anymore but you can actually buy that knife (ffg comboedge) right now?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JD said full SE …

My Catcherman only arrived today, so will see how it goes in CE before commenting further. Very impressed out of the box, though.
brj

Post by brj »

Not interested. From what I can see so far, the LC200N sprint run will fit my needs like a glove. I guess I would be interested in trying out other steels baked in the current recipe (CE, only 3 scallops of serrations, original handle with integral clip).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:01 am
JD said full SE …

I know, that is what he is advocating for...

but he literally says (quote) " There has been some recent talk of a possible Catcherman Sprint Run which I'm personally excited about. But I most of all miss the fully serrated version of the Catcherman..." - so the 1.) "recently talked of Sprint Run" and the 2.) "fully serrated version" appearantly are two different things for him, and it sounds like he would not be aware of that the 1.) Sprint run is already there. Just wanted to let him know, just in case.

/ Anyway: I am always for full SE on a Spydie - though in the Catcherman I´d probably prefer sabre hollow grind for that (which would most likely mean H2) to make it a more robust all around knife.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I’m pretty happy with the one we just got!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I'd probably be interested, if it were a Salt. No non-Salt blade or hardware, please.

Edited to say I like your idea of introducing "it's about time" threads.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am in for a full SE Catcherman, JD
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Coastal wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:36 pm
I'd probably be interested, if it were a Salt. No non-Salt blade or hardware, please.

Edited to say I like your idea of introducing "it's about time" threads.
I would have no objection if they did a Salt Version of the Catcherman in full SE. Actually I would like it a lot I'm sure.

If you all had the full SE, AUS-8 era Catcherman that I have used over the years I'm more than sure many of you would change your minds. Performance wise it's been on of the best food knives and probably the best fillet/fishing knife I've ever had. I like the full SE Catcherman much more than the CE.

Not sure why they discontinued the Catcherman in full SE to begin with. I guess because traditional fillet knives are mostly plain edge would be my guess.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's about time for a plain edge high edge retention steel hawkbill! 🤠

But, I wouldn't mind a full SE Catcherman. I'd use the heck out of it in the kitchen.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:35 pm
It's about time for a plain edge high edge retention steel hawkbill! 🤠

But, I wouldn't mind a full SE Catcherman. I'd use the heck out of it in the kitchen.
I hear you Bro!! I've been beating the drum for a G-10 handled Hawkbill for some time now and along with a premium blade steel it would sure put the icing on the cake.

My AUS-8, Full SE Catcherman gets use in the kitchen at least 3 to 4 times a week even since I've had it ( 2002 or thereabout).

I'm wondering how Cruwear would work for a top grade Hawkbill and how it would fare with a Sprint Run of the C-17 Catcherman??
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Going a bit off tangent, but I'd really like for Spyderco to make a remolded ambidextrous handle before making another Catcherman run. I hoped they had updated the handle for the new release but didn't happen.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 am
Going a bit off tangent, but I'd really like for Spyderco to make a remolded ambidextrous handle before making another Catcherman run. I hoped they had updated the handle for the new release but didn't happen.
Right there with you. But the $$$$ involved in remaking an FRN mold is what keeps that from happening. I'd like to see a fixed blade version too, same issue.

They still had the old FRN molds for these, so the cost to make this run was significantly less expensive. Would people still buy an FRN catcherman at $160-180? Or if they kept the price low, would enough people buy it to justify making the volume it would take to turn a profit or break even?

I don't know.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I’ve been a bit reluctant about full SE after getting used to CE, but after letting the idea of a full SE Catcherman sink in for a bit.. that’s probably one I would seriously consider.

But first I need to catch one from the CE sprint
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I am super happy that they gave us another sprint of the Catcherman. It’s a model that I never had a chance to own so I’m grateful for the opportunity! Given the intent of the design, my first choice would be PE, but the CE of the sprint doesn’t bother me since the CE portion is close enough to the heel of the blade to not really interfere with filleting. A full SE knife just doesn’t work very well for filleting fish though. I know that filleting is not the ONLY purpose for which one might buy a catcherman but i’ts clearly the MAIN intent of the design. I’d definitely pass on a full SE. I like SE knives just fine…just have no need for it in that design.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:03 am
I am super happy that they gave us another sprint of the Catcherman. It’s a model that I never had a chance to own so I’m grateful for the opportunity! Given the intent of the design, my first choice would be PE, but the CE of the sprint doesn’t bother me since the CE portion is close enough to the heel of the blade to not really interfere with filleting. A full SE knife just doesn’t work very well for filleting fish though. I know that filleting is not the ONLY purpose for which one might buy a catcherman but i’ts clearly the MAIN intent of the design. I’d definitely pass on a full SE. I like SE knives just fine…just have no need for it in that design.
I appreciate your input and that's completely fair in knowing that some folks strictly prefer a PE blade for filleting fish. But I mainly use my full SE Catcherman for a wide range of food jobs. I have used the full SE Catcherman to fillet some fish in the past. But it's certainly not limited to that chore. The full SE Catcherman is a dream knife for many different jobs in food prep. Actually my ultimate favorite Spyderco blade for filleting fish has been using the newest C-60, Cruwear Ayoob model. It could be a Ford Vs Chevy debate as to which is the best.

But again I do appreciate your valuable input because I know for a fact that you fillet many more fish than most of us here.